Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for 700c offroad/onroad tyres for Adventure Cross event

Hi, I've entered the Moors and Shores adventure cross event which I'm doing on a CX bike. The route is mainly offroad but about 40% on-road. I'm looking at Schwalbe G-One tubeless - but I'm worred they'll just be lethal on mud.

Does anyone have any experience of these tyres offroad or any better recommendations?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Are you running them tubeless?  I have them and I really can't praise them enough.  I've even been able to mount them with a hand pump!  Like you, i'm doing an event (Dirty Reiver) that I reckon they'll excel in.  They give you so much confidence and in my opinion the y really bring on your skill levels in the mud etc.

Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just a quick report back... I took the CX bike for an offroad tester yesterday and the tyres were excellent. Truly allround.

I ran 50/60 psi F/R (being a lard-arse) and didn't get any pinch flats descending on a road made of dirt with embedded rocks and I was able to ride really horrible mud up to the point that the rear wheel just sank in past the whole of the rim and I bogged. I'm sure a lighter rider would have got further! They also cleared incredibly quickly which surprised me at the relatively high pressures I was using.

I was also pleasantly surprised by how fast they went on the road. I won't be trying to beat any of my Strava segments on them but they were perfectly acceptable. Considering I swapped Schwalbe One slicks (original, non tubeless) off for the X-Ones I think that's high praise.

I doubt they'll last long, especially if ridden on tarmac, because the compound is incredibly soft and tacky. But for £20 each - marvellous.

Morat | 7 years ago
1 like

OK then  1 thanks for the advice.

I've gone for X-One Allround but performance line because they're half the price and I don't think I can afford almost £100 on tyres for a single event.

I reckon it's better to compromise more towards the offroad part of the event because that's likely to be where I'll end up on my arse if I have the wrong tyres. On the road I'll just have to go steady if the tyres are too squirmy. Not that I'd have been going fast anyway  1

Let's see how it goes...

mrtrilby | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use both G-One and X-One.

The G-Ones are brilliant on the road, and roll pretty much like any other road tyre. Off road, they are good on hard pack and dry grass. Not so good when the going gets properly muddy though. They will slide, and traction will be limited. 

X-Ones are brilliant off road and genuinely handle all conditions well. They do better than dedicated mud tyres a lot of the time, yet still roll well on hard pack. They have noticeably more drag on road though, and give a bit of buzz. 

If you want tyres that are brilliant off road, and can handle a bit of on road stuff in between, get the X-Ones. If you want tyres that are brilliant on road, and ideal for just popping off to explore down a dry bridleway, get the G-Ones.

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I run Schwalbe X-One tubeless in mud and they are completely awesome!  Very highly recommend  1

MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've been using G-ones (38mm) on my cross/commuting/gravel bike for about the last 1500 km, and so far am very very impressed. 

Starting with on-road, they roll very well, and don't feel like they're holding you back which when considering they're on a 12kg+ steel CX is pretty impressive. The additional bonus is they're not square edged, so you feel comfortable leaning the bike into corners with no unsettling squirm, something i've experienced on rocket rons. 

Off-road, I've still been impressed. Riding woodland singletrack, rocky bridleways and around the North downs, they've gripped suprisingly well in all conditions. Wet claggy clay can overwhelm the tread (what doesn't) and green wet chalk is about the only other thing they've slipped on. Even managed a 15% wet grass climb out the saddle without much drama. For reference, I run them tubeless and about 45 psi off road/all round, and if 100% road then about 55psi.

In fairness, it'd have to be really claggy/deep slop to consider running anything else on that bike, they really are a great go andwhere, do anything tyre. 

Zubkee | 7 years ago
2 likes

I used Schwalbe Rocket Rons on mixed terrain rides last year. They roll nicely on the road, and grip as well as can be expected in mud. The G-one tubeless roll crazily well on the road, and so far have handled muddy trails just fine, although I'm not talking deep slop.

TypeVertigo replied to Zubkee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Zubkee wrote:

I used Schwalbe Rocket Rons on mixed terrain rides last year. They roll nicely on the road, and grip as well as can be expected in mud. The G-one tubeless roll crazily well on the road, and so far have handled muddy trails just fine, although I'm not talking deep slop.

I have Schwalbe Super Swans, which are basically OE wire-bead versions of the Rocket Ron in 35 mm width. They roll well enough on pavement, but a bit ponderous to turn in (maybe that's just me). Conversely they do very well on a muddy trail park.

OP: Overall, if the course expects mud, I'd recommend the 'Rons too, as a general baseline sort of tire.

Miller | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've done a few UK so-called gravel events and they have all featured grotty sectors of mud. The Schwalbe G-Ones are great if they can grip something hard like gravel but the tread gets swamped by mud. I tried a pair of X-Ones in an event recently and they were a revelation, you'll still be going sideways on both wheels in mud but there are signs of something resembling grip. Not too slow on tarmac neither.

Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm a bit unsure because I'm not familiar with the terrain, but I've heard reports from last year that it can be very muddy in short sections. The on-road part is standard tarmac - so it's pretty much the full range of conditions.

Obviously the weather will also play a big part but I think it would be brave to bet against there being some rain in April in North Yorkshire.

If anyone knows what the X-one Allround is like on the road, I'd be grateful to hear of your experience.

kevvjj | 7 years ago
1 like

Anything CX without decent tread will be a whole lot of fun in the mud. My Clement XPlor MSO tyres have plenty of tread... but they are shite (fun) in the mud. What you need to work out is how much mud riding there might be. If most of the off-road stuff is muddy then you need to buy a mud specific tyre. The loss of speed on the tarmac will be more than made up for in the mud. Go for as wide a tyre as your frame will take.

TypeVertigo replied to kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

kevvjj wrote:

Anything CX without decent tread will be a whole lot of fun in the mud. My Clement XPlor MSO tyres have plenty of tread... but they are shite (fun) in the mud. What you need to work out is how much mud riding there might be. If most of the off-road stuff is muddy then you need to buy a mud specific tyre. The loss of speed on the tarmac will be more than made up for in the mud. Go for as wide a tyre as your frame will take.

Agreed. I'd fit as wide a mud tire as the frame will allow, as that seems to be the most versatile.

If the OP had more knowledge about terrain and weather conditions on the route, though, that might lead to a more specific choice of tire. "40% on-road" doesn't really tell us much.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

I gues it depends on the 'off road' is this gravel roads or actual mud. I'd have few isseus with doing using 30mm s-ones on good quality gravel track/hard packed unmade roads. And even for single track if not too wet.

But similarly, I wouldn't be too worried about using sammie slicks  or racing ralphs on 40% road. Plenty of people buying cheap mountain bikes with stock mountian bike tyres predominantly on the road.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'll tell you in a few weeks.. I bought 40 mm for general riding on road mainly. Look at Schwalbe 'thunder burt' in 2.1" width

Also x one all-round

Latest Comments