Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

West Mids Reliability Rides

Somewhat of a plug but hopefully it's actually useful because I couldn't find anything else similar. 

I'm a fan of the low key cheap events so I've collated the reliability rides from up and down the West Midlands (from North of Stafford down to Stratford) and linked the routes they're taking where possible. 

If you've got a free weekend, one of these is probably somewhere near you. 

http://www.procyclinguk.com/reliability-rides-2017-west-midlands/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

pablo | 7 years ago
1 like

Riding the bracket again this year always  a good one to see how all the turbo training has been going.

also next month in Kenilworth 77mile all for charity.  Local to me so gives me an excuse to do a longer one.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/157888/Mike-s-Myton-Rid...

700c | 7 years ago
0 likes

Great work on compiling that list! Tempted by rocking up to the Banbury star one tomorrow though might get in trouble if I'm out all morning!

I definitely feel some sportive 'fatigue' - the expense, hassle, sometimes even the attitude and behavior of other riders etc is off-putting (Rawlinson Bracket being one particular exception). I think reliability rides (and maybe even audaxes!) could provide a refreshing alternative.

mtm_01 replied to 700c | 7 years ago
0 likes

700c wrote:

Great work on compiling that list! Tempted by rocking up to the Banbury star one tomorrow though might get in trouble if I'm out all morning! I definitely feel some sportive 'fatigue' - the expense, hassle, sometimes even the attitude and behavior of other riders etc is off-putting (Rawlinson Bracket being one particular exception). I think reliability rides (and maybe even audaxes!) could provide a refreshing alternative.

No problem  1 Did you go over to Banbury in the end? Someone in our club ended up doing it.

That's pretty much how I feel with a couple of exceptions (Mad March Hare being one), audaxes just have this whole different vibe and reliability rides are definitely related to that. Probably down to the old world and new worlds of cycling, but that starts sounding dangerously close to something snobbish!

700c replied to mtm_01 | 7 years ago
0 likes
mtm_01 wrote:

No problem  1 Did you go over to Banbury in the end?

Nope. Did a quick local 30 miles instead  2 looking forward to the Bracket though. Hope it's warmer than last year.

mtm_01 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Stratford's my home club so I'm more than used to those particular hills of hurt..

Yeah you're on the cusp of about 3 different regions around that way! I've put up an East Mids page, I'll hunt out some Oxon ones.

mtm_01 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Stratford one was brutal, scenes of 2016 Liege Bastogne Liege! You mean branching over East Midlands way? I'll have a look  1 

700c replied to mtm_01 | 7 years ago
0 likes
mtm_01 wrote:

Stratford one was brutal, scenes of 2016 Liege Bastogne Liege! You mean branching over East Midlands way? I'll have a look  1 

I bet! Rides from Stratford going south tend to hurt..

Yes, more East and South midlandd (Northants/Warwickshire/ Oxfordshire for me really) - 'West midlands' tends to focus on 'Birmingham' and due West which is lovely riding, but a bit far out.

Thanks!

peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah shame, fair play though.. I might ride that cotswold challenge adaux, calendar dependant , cheers  1

mtm_01 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Partly for location, Gaydon isn't the easiest place for me to get to as a non-driver that early on a Sunday but mainly because I'm going to Wasps v Gloucester that day...moonlighting as a rugby fan!

peted76 | 7 years ago
1 like

You're not riding the Rawlinson Bracket, for charity, run by locals and a good early test?

700c replied to peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

You're not riding the Rawlinson Bracket, for charity, run by locals and a good early test?

I've entered as usual. Woefully unprepared but it's supposed to hurt isn't it  3

@mtm01 looked through that list and it's helpful. I possibly would have joined the Stratford one had I known about it.. don't suppose you fancy creating one for the wider Midlands? !

Latest Comments