Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle bag or rucksack - what's best?

For the commute - what's more efficient - carrying tools in a rucksack (which already has a change of clothes in it) or using a saddle bag?

Does it make any difference adding weight on the bike or to rider?

And by tools I mean; spare tube, multi-tool, tyre levers, mini-pump - so nothing massively heavy.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

ktache | 7 years ago
1 like

Pump and tools in an excellent Chrome large utility bag.  Fits my rather long topeak pump.  Tools include: a Park mini chain brute, 90's classic Cool Tool, Pedros Milk levers, "fast" patches, Topeak digital pressure gauge and emergency tyre boots.  Spare tube sits in an old and tatty bag on the strap of my TimBuk2 large custom courier bag.  Tools go in when on the bike, come out when not.  I cannot travel light.  

I rode many years with the rucksack, some quite good ones, once I tried the courier bag I knew the I wasn't going back to the rucksack.  So much easier access, don't have to take it off and open the flap up.  Wide not tall  so can delve better.  And the capacity I can get would seem like a big, stuff rattling around rucksack.

TypeVertigo replied to ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

I rode many years with the rucksack, some quite good ones, once I tried the courier bag I knew the I wasn't going back to the rucksack.  So much easier access, don't have to take it off and open the flap up.  Wide not tall  so can delve better.  And the capacity I can get would seem like a big, stuff rattling around rucksack.

I was looking into the courier bag/messenger bag route before, too. Doesn't the bag spin around your torso while bent over and riding?

I'm told some messenger bags have a third strap expressly for this purpose - basically to help the bag settle in a more fixed location around your back, instead of crawling over your torso every time you corner.

Genuinely curious to hear your input.

brooksby replied to TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

ktache wrote:

I was looking into the courier bag/messenger bag route before, too. Doesn't the bag spin around your torso while bent over and riding?

I'm told some messenger bags have a third strap expressly for this purpose - basically to help the bag settle in a more fixed location around your back, instead of crawling over your torso every time you corner.

Genuinely curious to hear your input.

If you buy a courier/messenger bag expressly intended for cycling then it will have an extra strap which stops the bag swinging around all the time.

On a Chrome bag, for example, the strap is sewn on at the corner and attaches to a non moveable clip above the 'famous' Chrome buckle (closer to the shoulder), coming from under your armpit.  When it's tightened up properly, it stops the bag swinging around.

http://www.bikeshophub.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc_0891-300x200.jpg

gunswick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Option 3
Use a large saddlebag, apidura 17 litre for example. My Topeak normal sized tool filled saddle bag goes in first, then lunch/protein drink, shirts/clothes etc. Laptop left at work mostly, if needed at home then rucksack the laptop only. U-lock can also fit in the saddle bag (under the smaller Topeak tool saddle bag), laptop charger also in there. Very versatile, waterproof essentially, aero / balanced left/right on the bike, lights attach on it nicely. One bag to fit & carry in and out of the office. No rack for extra weight / breaking with panniers = normal road bike at the weekends when you remove the large saddlebag. No sweaty uncomfortable rucksack. Same cost overall. Less wear and tear on clothing from rucksack straps.

I have done all 3 options for a 9-14 mile commute, hands down this option is best (all year round).

Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Panniers are best on the bike, rucksack best on foot. The problem with hybrid solutions is you tend to end up with mud on your back after carrying the pannier. It must be possible to come up with an answer but I don't  have enough grey thingy. Um brain?

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would really rather have the bike carry the load for me. Panniers are how I roll most of the time on a road/cross bike. 

If I'm on the flat-handlebar folding bike, the backpack becomes a comfortable option because of the more upright riding position...but still not something I'd want to deal with on an hour-long ride.

The one downside I've had to having loaded panniers is that the bike now can't be bunny-hopped as well in efforts to avoid potholes and such, if that's your thing.

FluffyKittenofT... | 7 years ago
2 likes

I guess it depends where you have to leave your bike and how much stuff you feel you have to carry round with you.

I keep changing my mind. Neither seem ideal. Panniers/saddle bag has to be removed and put back every time, which takes time, and then carted around with me...backpack, among other things already mentioned, leaves me with a sweaty back!

Have never found a pannier that clips/unclips and converts super-easily to a backpack.

Ideally I'd hire a gentleman's gentleman to accompany me and carry all my crap. They could also stand guard over the bike when I leave it, avoiding the need for all that tiresome locking/unlocking business.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I built my bike around a saddle bag  4 

No I have a Carradice canvas saddle bag, I made a custom bracket to mount off the seat rails in stainless rod to hold it steady and not sway whilst riding.  

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

I always carried a rucksack to get to work, and found I was loading lots of extra stuff into it, eg spare gloves/overshoes etc, that I didn;t really need, because I had the space

then I got a Pashley with a pannier rack, and got used to the idea of not hauling things around on my back. When I went back riding a road bike more regularly again, I got an Apidura saddlepack: https://www.apidura.com/product/saddle-pack-compact/

it's excellent, I can carry everything I actually need (little compartment for pump and tools), and end up leaving behind everything I don't. My backs a lot better, maybe coincidence, but certainly makes for a more comfortable and pleasurable ride

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

Carrying weight on your spine is bad news for your back over the long term and as you are commuting, I would highly recommend anything of any weight goes on the bike. By all means carry light clothing in a rucksack but you would be well advised to keep it as light as possible. 20 years of commuting and plenty of money spent at the physio taught me that.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rucksack for me. I carry one as a man bag and whenever they get a bit tatty and I get a new one, the old one becomes my cycling bag.

Innerlube | 7 years ago
0 likes

Saddle bags for me.

Carradice Barley @ c.9 litres does my regular daily commute plus space to pick up a bottle or two on way home.

I also have a Nelson long flap for days when I have to cycle out to a meeting across town and need to carry smart clothes/ shoes etc. Or need to carry home a bottle or four.

Also have a rarely used Vaude bar bag- the Augsburg- occasional summer commutes when for one reason or another I'm only packing my lunch and my toolkit.

I used to rely on the Carradice seatpost mount - the SQR system - and this is the best option for heavier loads. Now use the classic mount which slots into your saddle loops (you have a Brook's right?) Recommended max weight limit of 6 kg, but this never rally an issue in practice.

Anyway, bike left completely clear of racks/ fixings for when I want it that way.

A couple of bikes ago I was a rack and pannier man, but current model doesn't have the fixings.

RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Carry your stuff on a bike, in a saddlebag or pannier - this will be more comfortable than carrying it on your back. But use a bag that has straps of some sort to help carry it. For example I use a rack bag with a shoulder strap around town.

Bikebikebike | 7 years ago
2 likes

Rucksack = sweaty.  Yuck.

barkingfishes | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone - food for thought - I'll just have to browse more bike web sites ... cheeky

PaulBox replied to barkingfishes | 7 years ago
1 like

barkingfishes wrote:

Thanks everyone - food for thought - I'll just have to browse more bike web sites ... cheeky

If you do decide to go for a rucksak, make sure that it has a chest strap. Very annoying riding with the straps falling off your shoulders...

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rucksack for me - including clothes, laptop and various bits and pieces that I pack, it can weigh 6kgs.

I've never used panniers so wouldn't fancy whacking all of that onto one, and don't want to use more than one bag.

It's no bother, but I'm a triathlete with more of a swimmer's build than the archetypal cyclist's. I only really notice it when I'm on the CX bike and I've packed the laptop badly and it digs in halfway down my back...

If you get a proper bike commuting rucksack (mine isn't) they seem a bit more intelligent for packing, laptop positioning and air flow so you avoid sweaty backage.

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

I need to carry a laptop, so I stick everything in a rucksack. Absolutely no point having separate bags.

I prefer a rucksack to panniers, as I prefer the way the bike handles when flicking through traffic.

Back gets a bit sweaty, but it's no real problem for the distance involved.

If I wasn't carrying a laptop, I'd still use a small rucksack for putting lunch and stuff in.

stifflersmom | 7 years ago
3 likes

I went from a rucksack to a pannier and wouldn't go back. Especially in the summer months I find it so much more comfortable. It also gives me more flexibility in terms of what I can bring in and take home from the office. One unexpected bonus is that I'm sure car drivers give me more room when I have the pannier on.

hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

I prefer a rucksack to panniers. I've got myself a Proviz reflective rucksack which seems nice and comfortable and lights up brilliantly.

With a rucksack, you don't need a heavy pannier rack and often a rucksack is lighter than an equivalent pannier bag. However, you get to have a weight on your back which can be uncomfortable if it's not positioned correctly. I like to think that it trains you to minimise sideways movements if you've got a weight on your back.

P3t3 | 7 years ago
1 like

Only reason to use a rucksack on a road bike is the pleasure of winding up the proper roadie crowd.

For proper commute work get as much off your back as possible though! If you have a saddle bag then put tools in it. Get a bar bag or panniers and go bag-free if you possibly can, so much nicer. I leave tools in saddle bag but work parking is fairly secure so no worried about tools disappearing.

PaulBox | 7 years ago
2 likes

Can't stand using a rucksack if on a road bike. The only time I'll use a rucksack is if I have to move my laptop between office & home, I normally leave it in the office if I can.

We have secure bike parks at my office so leave my saddle bag (with tubes and levers) and lights on my bike. Just carry pump in my pocket as I've lost too many to road grime.

brooksby | 7 years ago
0 likes

I always have a pump and a small tool pouch with spare tube and tools and latex gloves carried in my panniers (the pouch is a Chrome large accessory pouch for those who care).

I usually have a pair of Carradice A4 panniers - one has the aforementioned, plus diary, pens, HDD, etc, plus a shirt, pants and socks for work.  The other gets stuffed with shopping, outgoing post for the franked mail postbox, etc.

I occasionally move everything into a Chrome Metropolis bag when the mood takes me (you can stuff more into the bag than the panniers because the panniers are quite boxy, but then you've got the weight on you instead of on the bike).

(Not sure if any of that helps?)

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've ditched my saddle bag all in rucksack. Mainly as it's one less thing to take off the bike. 

Latest Comments