Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What will our cycle routes look like in the future?

With the construction of more London Superhighways underway, and a boom in cycle safety and investement into cycling infrastructure, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the future of cycle routes.

Meon's recent blog post goes into detail about 3 of the latest innovations designed to protect cyclists and create a safer and more efficient journey: http://www.meonuk.com/future-of-cycle-routes

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
1 like

Meon.

Just visit Copenhagen.

Man of Lard replied to Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
1 like

Danger Dicko wrote:

Meon.

Just visit Copenhagen.

And Utrecht, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Groningen, Enschede, Breda, Delft,... (Bit of a pattern there)

MeonUK | 7 years ago
0 likes

Always interesting to hear peoples thoughts and opinions! There are many innovations in cycle path design all around the world that are being created with cyclists' safety and journey times in mind, the ones mentioned above are just a select few  1

P3t3 replied to MeonUK | 7 years ago
4 likes

MeonUK wrote:

Always interesting to hear peoples thoughts and opinions! There are many innovations in cycle path design all around the world that are being created with cyclists' safety and journey times in mind, the ones mentioned above are just a select few  1

With respect, I think "innovations created with cyclists' safety and journey times in mind" is just complete twaddle.  There is NO requirement to innnovate when it comes to cycle routes.  All that is needed is a reasonably flat surface that people can ride their bikes on without fear of being hit by vehicles and without hitting pedestrians.  

All too often in this country "inovation" is used as a smokescreen to cover up that the underlying facility is not fit for purpose.  

I don't understand why you are posting, what do you want to gain from this discussion?  You seem to be trying to advertise "surfaces".  As far as cycle routes go they need to be smooth, free of debris and grippy in the dry and wet.  Anything more is extraneous.  

ktache | 7 years ago
7 likes

I see you are new here Conorbeard....

beezus fufoon replied to ktache | 7 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

I see you are new here Conorbeard....

Conorbeard | 7 years ago
1 like

I travel to inner city of London (EC2) so go directly through the main cental city and although the super highways are OK I definitely think more should be done to improve the surface of said highways ! Also everyday I see " the super equipped, all the gear no idea gang" jumping lights , crossing lanes and generally just being damn right dangerous... the give all of us safe cyclists bad rep and more should be done to educate these people who think because they have a full carbon road bike , latest gear , most fashionable clothing and footwear they are not exempt from wearing helmets and driving safely ... sorry but does bug me when I'd rather wait at the lights for an extra minute and not end up splattered

P3t3 | 7 years ago
2 likes

The future of cycle routes is currently dictated by the implementation of this: http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/ha/standards/ians/pdfs/ian195.pdf by local council engineeers.  

brooksby | 7 years ago
1 like

I'd suggest maybe approaching the forum of road designers and civil engineers, for this, maybe...

Quote:

The Corporate Foundational Principle

Our professional foundation centres around our purpose, the reason for our existence and the bedrock of everything we do.  By working with Meon, anyone and everyone is guaranteed to experience our values.

We're passionate about delivering great surfaces and test our supply chain, our professional development, our products, all customer interaction and every possible transaction by this professional foundation.

How it applies to Meon

Our purpose – to deliver great surfaces – plain and simple!  It’s the 'why we exist', our raison d'etre and what we will do for society

Our mission – the how, the way in which we are going to bring our purpose to pass

Our vision – this is our 'go to' place, our goal, the place you are going to find us, our ‘man on the moon’ dream.

Latest Comments