Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Road Clothes on a budget

Hi All

I'm looking for some suggestions to kit out my winter riding kit on a bit of a budget

So what i have currently is

Base Layer (not a full winter job just a synthetic type fabric, similar to a compression base layer)

Short Sleave Summer Jersey

Summer Arm Warmers

Nitebrite Full waterproof Jacket

Summer Shorts

Winter Socks

Now as you can imagine on these british winter days it's getting far too cold for this, layering up is fine BUT living at the top of a steep hill the Jacket which keeps me relatively warm on the flat becomes a burden and i am sweating buckets.

Now with Christmas fast approaching i have an oppertunity to spend a little to get some good winter/Autumn kit, im set for rain gear need warmth more than anything.

Looking for some real suggestions in the £30 - £50 range that will be an effective way of warming up for rides.

Worth noting that for a commute i ride about 15 miles a day but am often doing longer rides although usually when it has warmed slightly.

Any suggestions or assistance for utilizing what i already have along with some new items is greatly appreciated.

My thoughts were some long tights, a winter jersey (although not sure if worthwhile with the baselayer as well as summer jersey combo), maybe a windproof jacket etc.

I will be looking at spending more after Christmas however don't want to have to stop riding until then.

Thanks in advance

Neil

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Simboid | 7 years ago
0 likes

Try Alpkit https://www.alpkit.com/featured/cycling-apparel-mens . I have been buying from them for years and have yet to own anything that isn't outstanding in its class. Not specifically a cycling company but going more and more in that direction. Everything is very high quality despite the low price as they make it themselves and sell direct. Great customer service too.

I have recenly bought their bibshorts and keppler merino top and both are now my first choice. getting winter bib tights and jersey next. They are bikepackers and climbers at heart but there's a lot of crossover for road cyclists.

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

One of my favourite bit's of kit is a Bryjne long sleved 'string vest':

http://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/brynje/products/brynje-super-thermo-shirt

I find it works brillianty well as a warm dry feeling base layer - If it gets too warm excess heat can quickly be 'dumped' just by opening a zip on the outer  wind stoping outer garment - and it seems to be nigh on indistructable with no need for particualy delicate washing.

The one down down side is that (unless you want to find your self looking a tadge 'exotic') it can't be used by it's self - it does need something, anything!, to be worn over the top.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
1 like

I bought loads of cheap kit but have ended up buying dearer stuff ie Gabba, Rapha Brevet Jersey, Gore Jacket as I genuinely find that its better in the long run.  If you commute (as I do) its different to riding at the weekend and I tend to stick to the billowing yellow jacket with winter boots in the week.   The best thing I have bought this winter was a tin of Muc Off water proofer.   I have sprayed it on my tights, socks, jacket, hat, gloves etc and its made riding in the rain bearable and Im genuinely warmer.   If you want the best cheap item of clothing to keep you warm then buy a Prendas winter hat.  Fits under your helmet.  Its rarely off my head.

Bob Wheeler CX | 7 years ago
0 likes

Anything with a red label on at a bigger Halfords - Altura, Boardman etc., 2015/16 sell offs.

Can get windproof Berghaus or Rohan fleeces virtually unworn for like 20 quid off eBay.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the headband and overshoes if you're planning long rides in frigid weather. It's important to keep your core warm but wet/numb feet and painful ears are no fun. 

nsmithson2010 | 7 years ago
1 like

Thanks All

Cost wise i ended up opting for the Planet X Roubaix Jersey (£15) and the Btwin 500 Cycling Tights from Decathlon

Won't get them till Christams now but hopefully they are as good as i expect

Thanks in advance all for the advise

Neil

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, as above -aldi, decathlon, wiggle. Get a few buffs, get a softshell winter jacket etc. I tend to use a helly hansen lifa baselayer which i found in a charity shop, or a merino skiing thing which i also found in a charity shop. Roubaix tights too, from decathlon.

nniff | 7 years ago
0 likes

My most flexible piece of winter clothing is a pertex gilet (Sportful, in my case).  Makes a huge difference, especially as my commute starts with a long descent.  It take about 15-20 minutes for me to warm up and then it goes into a jersey pocket.  If it gets colder, on it goes again.

Decathlon is excellent.

Neoprene overshoes are well worth the money and a pair of 'hot hands' handwarmers inside them, over your toes, makes a huge difference.  For commuting, if you wrap the handwarmers up tightly in a plastic bag they go cold again:  for commuting they'll do at least 4 x 1 hour, instead of 1 x 10 hours.

ianrobo | 7 years ago
0 likes

DHB at Wiggle, especially in sales etc, doing their thermal jackets at the moment for 35

in fact most of my stuff is now DHB

nsmithson2010 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thankyou all for the excellent suggestions and recommendations

I'm going to spend wisely and probably go for a load of the Decathlon kit to keep me warm

Thanks Again

Neil

kil0ran | 7 years ago
2 likes

The B'Twin stuff is excellent - plenty of 4 star reviews here. 

Also consider non-cycling specific gear as it is often cheaper. For example ride with your summer gear layered up with long-johns and thermals (M&S sell merino-rich thermal underwear that's cheaper than cycling-specific base layers).

Last week I rode in -4 in the following:

B'Twin 500 cycling shorts (not bibs)

Falke ski tights (admittedly expensive but warmer than a set of Super Roubaix cycling tights)

B'Twin mountain bike baggies

M&S merino thermal long-sleeve vest

Summer short-sleeve cycling jersey

B'Twin reflective jacket (not windproof)

Two layers of silk liner gloves under Gore-tex outers.

Was almost too hot by the end of the ride.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

I get most (if not all) of my cheap kit from Sport Pursuit. If you're not already a member, here's a referral link: https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/dosh_for_dotti

This is a useful guide for what you need BUT you'd be skint if you bought everything listed.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/toolbox-staying-warm-during-winter...

A headband and snood does a lot to keep you warmer.  I've been using two in the recent cold spell - one a close-fitting gaiter style, one looser to pull over my face as/when needed). They're also easy to pull down or take off.

I'm a believer in layers, and if the closest layer to your skin is a nice merino, it'll stay relatively comfortable even if damp.

If you don't have a softshell, a wind jacket over a two or three  long-sleeve layers would keep most of the cold out. (In fact, I carry a wind jacket most of the year round in my second bidon as an emergency get-me-home or keep-me-warm if I have a mechanical item.) 

This was my outfit yesterday. I wasn't cold anywhere:

head - two merino snoods plus merino headband. 
body - l/s merino base, l/s thermal softshell jacket & gilet
legs - bib tights with 3/4 shorts underneath (I like to have warmer legs as it helps keep my feet warm)
hands/feet - gloves with merino liners, thick merino socks, thin nappy bags over my socks, overshoes.

arfa | 7 years ago
4 likes

Have a look at www.decathlon.co.uk
Their btwin own brand gear is fine and they do clear out sales from time to time

peted76 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Getch'a'sen over to the nice chaps at http://galibier.cc/  I've a few bits from them including a winter jacket which has taken me a year to realise I need just a thin base layer under it or I'll overheat and a waterproof (apart from the seams in a downpour) jacket which folds up into a jersey pocket.  I keep going back, for the money it's a fine bet.

I think I'm going to order some winter bib tights from them, their new 'mistral' ones sound super!

You're welcome.

Or Aldi - who sponsored this very sites cycling team at this year's revolve24, with good results!

nsmithson2010 replied to peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Getch'a'sen over to the nice chaps at http://galibier.cc/  I've a few bits from them including a winter jacket which has taken me a year to realise I need just a thin base layer under it or I'll overheat and a waterproof (apart from the seams in a downpour) jacket which folds up into a jersey pocket.  I keep going back, for the money it's a fine bet.

I think I'm going to order some winter bib tights from them, their new 'mistral' ones sound super!

You're welcome.

Or Aldi - who sponsored this very sites cycling team at this year's revolve24, with good results!

Thanks for the suggestions here, will go ahead and take a little look.

I've also been eyeing up some of the PlanetX kit, i have a few bits of their's and have always been pleased, the 365x range looks excellent for the price on sale right now

The _Kaner replied to nsmithson2010 | 7 years ago
0 likes

nsmithson2010]</p>

<p>[quote=peted76 wrote:

Getch'a'sen over to the nice chaps at http://galibier.cc/  

Just waiting on my Mistral bibs, ordered them - (previous customer - so whopping discount...:) )

Also have the Colombiere and Tourmalet jackets...you really don't need to shell out more as both/each (other) are perfect for all weathers throughout these winter months...

Just be wary of the sizes - I've found they're not quite 'UK sized' - But they do exchange with no fuss and Myles is a general all round nice dude...

Edit: Just received the new Mistral bibs this morning (8th Dec). The fit is great, nice and snug for a medium. Leg length just about right (I'm a short arse, so a bit long on me)

Quality and finish is excellent, no stray threads, quad locked stitching, quality feeling pad. These are just initial impressions from first try on. Will need to get out into the wild to test them.

Latest Comments