Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rim to disc feels sluggish

Bought a carbon disc bike on offer as it was a good price to try disc brakes.

It is 700g lighter than my titanium bike, stiffer but not as comfortable. 

The position is the same to the mm, as is the saddle and tyres.

The new bike just feels a bit sluggish. There was no wind today and good conditions but again it just feels like I have to work that bit harder to keep the momentum momentumn going.

Don't think it's psychological as I think disc bikes are the future and really want it to "work." 

Anyone else had similar experiences? I could upgrade the wheels to a set 400g lighter. Having g built wheels I know how I pitting they are but really not sure they will make a big enough difference to convince me to stick with the disc bike.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

I went from an aluminium Triban 3 rim-brake road bike to a carbon CX bike (about 2kgs lighter) and noticed the same thing. Put it down to geometry/position differences as rubber was more or less the same (28 on the CX, 25 on the Triban). The only place the carbon bike was faster was on climbs - to the point that most of my Strava times for local climbs stand 2 years on from selling the bike. 

Now I'm back on an aluminium CX bike and that bike is also slower than the Triban despite being a similar weight. I'm putting that down to much wider tyres - 32mm Gators vs 25mm 4Seasons.

On my relatively flat commute the Triban was around 1mph faster than the two CX bikes. Feel like I'm bedded in on the new bike now as I've done over 300 miles and its certainly much more comfortable than the Triban so its not a position/comfort thing.

maviczap | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bit of disc rub slowing you down?

I presume the wheels spin freely with no rubbing?

Wheels/frame flexing causing a bit of brake rub when youre riding, but not when when you spinning the wheels when you're off the bike?

How much do you weigh?

velochris replied to maviczap | 7 years ago
0 likes
maviczap wrote:

Bit of disc rub slowing you down?

I presume the wheels spin freely with no rubbing?

Wheels/frame flexing causing a bit of brake rub when youre riding, but not when when you spinning the wheels when you're off the bike?

How much do you weigh?

145 lbs at the moment. Rotor spins freely without rub. Went for thru axles to avoid this. Did a short 25% slope outside Malham and couldn't hear any rotor rub which was pleasing.

Will ride more and borrowing a lighter set of wheels to see if anything changes.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

How are your times comparing?

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
0 likes

Buyer's remorse? You bought it because it was cheap, not because you loved it?

antigee | 7 years ago
0 likes

tyres?

edit : the answer will be yes I know that

velochris replied to antigee | 7 years ago
0 likes
antigee wrote:

tyres?

edit : the answer will be yes I know that

Same tyres transferred over.

Chuck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like the title should be 'Titanium to carbon feels sluggish' 

velochris replied to Chuck | 7 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:

I must not have explained myself very well.

I also have a carbon bike which is excellent and not sluggish so it is not the change to carbon I am deliberating.

My winter bike was titanium and I have now moved to a carbon bike but with disc brakes.

Chuck replied to velochris | 7 years ago
0 likes

velochris wrote:
Chuck wrote:

I must not have explained myself very well. I also have a carbon bike which is excellent and not sluggish so it is not the change to carbon I am deliberating. My winter bike was titanium and I have now moved to a carbon bike but with disc brakes.

Ah, missed you already have a carbon bike. Still, unless your new one is exactly the same I'd have thought there were other factors at play bigger than the discs.

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I initially thought the same when I went to carbon fiber two years ago . However now I am at one with the material and have recently bought a second cf frameset and tbh would not now go back to anything else.  Cf IMO is unbelievably comfortable once you get used to the feel. It reacts differently to  aluminum or steel and your riding style has to adapt. My old ally winter hack bike is unlikely to be ever ridden again and also the other beauty about cf is that it is unlikely to be affected by winter salt on the road.

kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Feels sluggish is different to is sluggish. Checked your times for various known stretches?

velochris replied to kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes
kevvjj wrote:

Feels sluggish is different to is sluggish. Checked your times for various known stretches?

Yes, times are down, albeit a limited sample so far.

Nothing to do with the titanium to carbon change on feel as I've got a carbon bike as well.

drosco | 7 years ago
1 like

I went from a mid range aluminium bike to a Canyon Ultimate CF and for a few weeks was somewhat underwhelmed. In time though it's clear it's a faster bike, I think it just took time to adjust to riding it. Like a pair of new shoes. Now I'm delighted with it.

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can relate to this, my first and so far only good carbon road bike after years on a steel frame machine felt distinctly sluggish in comparison, especially for climbing. I sort of expected this as the carbon frame is ever so slightly endurance oriented to accomodate my aging carcass and it is certainly far more comfortable after a few hours in the saddle. It also has the additional weight of electronic gears and disc brakes (which are both fabulous btw)

I had fortunately factored in the purchase of some fancy wheels (Reynolds Assualt tubular) and these changed the bike significantly. It is still not as 'excited'about hill sprints but it certainly holds momentum. We maintained a decent section of our ride this morning at 26mph + and it was absolutely in it's element.

Absolutely love riding it.

Latest Comments