Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Electric cars to have a siren

Yes, really. Our cities are going to be bizarrely noisy places.  Why can't people just look before they cross, or are cyclists going to be required to start singing as they ride?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37986774

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

brooksby | 7 years ago
0 likes

"Warning: this vehicle is going forward "

"Warning: this vehicle is reversing "

"Warning: this vehicle *exists*"

Are they going to change all the rules about not using your horn, too, to deal with this? Or maybe ban headphones so everyone has to walk around listening to a phone clipped to their belt like some teenager...?

bikebot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Worth noting that a very large number of conventional cars already have engine sound augmentation. Customers like their cars to make vroom vroom noises, and modern fuel efficient engines leave them feeling a little... inadequate.

Yorkshire wallet replied to bikebot | 7 years ago
0 likes

bikebot wrote:

Worth noting that a very large number of conventional cars already have engine sound augmentation. Customers like their cars to make vroom vroom noises, and modern fuel efficient engines leave them feeling a little... inadequate.

I'd say those who really appreciate a good engine note are few and far between. If you've ever heard a BRM V16 you'll know what I mean. That or a Honda RC149. THE NOISE, THE GLORIOUS NOISE! Those Renaults with sound effects just replace the standard shitty Renault noises with some other noises of shitty famous Renaults. 

If you want a petrolhead car with petrolhead noise you don't buy a small car and expect it sound decent. They never did anyway unless you tuned the arse off them. Then again my 1275GT mini used to sound great with weber carbs on and a cherry bomb exhaust. No guesses what  I spent my money on in my youth. 

bikebot replied to Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

bikebot wrote:

I'd say those who really appreciate a good engine note are few and far between. If you've ever heard a BRM V16 you'll know what I mean. That or a Honda RC149. THE NOISE, THE GLORIOUS NOISE! Those Renaults with sound effects just replace the standard shitty Renault noises with some other noises of shitty famous Renaults. 

If you want a petrolhead car with petrolhead noise you don't buy a small car and expect it sound decent. They never did anyway unless you tuned the arse off them. Then again my 1275GT mini used to sound great with weber carbs on and a cherry bomb exhaust. No guesses what  I spent my money on in my youth. 

It's not sound fx, it's sound augmentation. Audi, BMW, VW, Ford, Porsche etc.  Almost every manufacturer has introduced it and they had to start with the high end to disguise the engine changes. Most owners know nothing about it, it's come about just in the last few years and the industry doesn't much like to publicise it.

brooksby replied to Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

My car - when I have to drive - is a 1970 Beetle, and you can diagnose problems just by the engine noise (there's a whole CD of it yes  - google John Muir Volkswagen sounds).

When you have to ride in a modern car you can't tell if the engine's running: modern cars are too quiet, IMO.

Latest Comments