Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Converting Mavic wheels to Tubeless

Just started running Tubeless on my cross bike and loving it, so now considering running road Tubeless for the winter.

Currently have a set of 2016 Mavic Askiums as my wet weather/winter wheels, so was considering attacking them with schwalbe/stans rim tape and valves and say S-one tyres. Has anyone tried or had any success with this, or know any reasons why this wouldn't work? 

Cheers.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Bowks, thats pretty much how I did my "tubeless ready" cross rims, and TBH can't see any difference between them and the Askiums. The rear was a sod to seal and ended up putting a tube in, pumping it up and leaving it for a day to shape the tyre, seat the bead, then popping off one side, removing the tube and installing the TL valve. Still needed a CO2 cannister to seat and inflate though, not that I've ever managed tubeless without that. 

Some seem to make a big deal about the rim hooks not being secure and the tyre rolling off if flat, but that cant be any different than using a tube right, if anything a standard clincher is more likely to roll off? Had no issue with the cross bike at 40-65 psi, but obviously a bit more concerned about 70-80 psi and higher speeds on the road bike. 

Mavic obviously say "it won't work, buy the Kysriums for 4x the price instead" and Schwalbe say officially the reccomend a 'tubeless ready' wheel, but unofficialy, "it'll probably be fine" Might try doing the rear only first and see what happens. Be nice to have the puncture resistance without running tractor tyres this winter. Next problem is working out if S-ones will fit on the supersix. 

Bowks replied to MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

MoutonDeMontagne wrote:

Cheers Bowks, thats pretty much how I did my "tubeless ready" cross rims, and TBH can't see any difference between them and the Askiums. The rear was a sod to seal and ended up putting a tube in, pumping it up and leaving it for a day to shape the tyre, seat the bead, then popping off one side, removing the tube and installing the TL valve. Still needed a CO2 cannister to seat and inflate though, not that I've ever managed tubeless without that. 

I found that the taping was the trickiest bit for me. Those pesky air bubbles!

Once I had the tape installed, I went for a 50 mile ride with the Pro One tyres and tubes installed to make sure everything was seated and the air bubbles had gone.

Quote:

Some seem to make a big deal about the rim hooks not being secure and the tyre rolling off if flat, but that cant be any different than using a tube right, if anything a standard clincher is more likely to roll off? Had no issue with the cross bike at 40-65 psi, but obviously a bit more concerned about 70-80 psi and higher speeds on the road bike.

That does sound like marketing hype to me. I did check with Drew at Spin before I went ahead and he said he had folk running tubeless with no issues at all.

My new Giant came with 'tubeless ready' wheels and they look no different to regular clinchers. They don't provide the tape or valves either, which is a bit of a piss-take to call them tubeless ready!

Quote:

Mavic obviously say "it won't work, buy the Kysriums for 4x the price instead" and Schwalbe say officially the reccomend a 'tubeless ready' wheel, but unofficialy, "it'll probably be fine" Might try doing the rear only first and see what happens. Be nice to have the puncture resistance without running tractor tyres this winter. Next problem is working out if S-ones will fit on the supersix. 

I'm in the same mindset as you. I am waiting for a 28mm tyre with a little more puncture resistance than the Pro Ones to run on my winter/commuter bike but don't think I could squeeze the S-Ones in. 

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes
ibr17xvii replied to Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bowks wrote:

Try this link here:

http://www.notubes.com/help/roadtublessinstructions.aspx

Cheers mate, will take a look.

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd love to have a bash at this for the winter bike (Campag Vento wheels) but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Any idiots guide that someone could point me too?

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've converted my Spin Koppenbergs to tubeless, probably following the same principal that you would follow for the Askiums, using Stan's Tape & Sealant and Schwalbe Valves. On the whole, they have run trouble free, the only issue I had was with the rear tyre sealing airtight after checking and topping up the sealant. A little soap and water and track pump sealed this and I've had no further issues!

My advice would be take your time with the tape install and do it indoors in the warmth.

Latest Comments