Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spoke lacing and wheel direction

Was referencing bike repair manual and came across a recommended spoke lacing direction for front and rear wheel. 

Hmm.... quite frankly had not really thought about that other than having the qr levers on the left side of the bike so that front wheel is closed with the right hand while rear wheel the lever is clear of derailleur and cable. 

Took a look at my front wheel and sure enough, it was backward. So I reversed the qr lever, reset the computer magnet, and reinstalled the wheel. 

Have I been riding with front wheel backward?

I suppose the direction is to distribute braking forces to the outside spokes?

Am I going to see any difference? If so, in a ride? Braking performance? Or no real change. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Liam Cahill | 7 years ago
0 likes

Only issue would be if you had directional grooves in the braking surface as seen on some Zipps. Apart from that, no difference in a rim-brake wheel.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

front wheel - all the braking forces should be taken by the rim, there is nothing in the centre to provide rotational force in either direction.  (the ground is trying to keep the wheel turning, and the brakes are trying to stop the wheel turning, all forces transfered through the rim, not spokes)

This is why (non disc) front wheels can be laced radially with no crossing of spokes

UNLESS you have a disc wheel, but if you have been running that the wrong way round you have bigger problems.

Tyres can have assymetric treads, (but i've only seen that on MTB not road tyres) but front wheels are essentially symetrical.

Dnnnnnn replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

UNLESS you have a disc wheel, but if you have been running that the wrong way round you have bigger problems.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
2 likes

You'll notice a huge difference.

You've basically been riding with your front wheel in reverse... And everyone knows you can't go as fast in reverse.

And back in the real world... A non-disc front wheel is (should be) absolutely symmetrical so it won't make a hoot of difference.

I've been riding bikes for many, many years and if it did make a difference I'd have noticed by now.

If you want to be OCD about it, you should be able to read the logo of the hub when standing over the bike... Assuming the wheel builder bothered building then in that direction.

Latest Comments