Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heresy I know, but is carbon dull?

Well in my pursuit for my next bike I've gained full support from "the Keeper of the purse strings" in fact we together went to see the first consideration.  I'm looking in the £1500 range in all probability carbon, 105 and caliper brakes.

I threw my leg over an Italian lovely Carbon a year or two old so it was Ultegra 11sp and Gran Fondo/Spotive geometry but Italian so a bit racy too.

Good, responsive acceleration, handled well etc and here it comes, but it was dull! I expected to walk back in the shop, rip out my kidney/credit card and walk out 10 minutes later because I couldn't bear to part with it. Sadly it wasn't to be the case.  I've been a MTB'er and own a Ti frame and that did it; it was a lot of money and second hand, but WOW! The carbon lovely didn't do it, just didn't have that spark, that WOW let alone even a little wow.

Steel? The Light Blue Wolfson??? Ti (out of budget I suspect? Back to drawing board a little crestfallen. The only advantage is I've now got to throw my leg over many more to really understand if it was a one off (the manufacturer has changed their frame since this model) or is carbon just not for me.

And how do you really, REALLY tell in a 20 minute pootle around a town/industrial estate etc?

Thanks for reading/listening to my ramble/brain dump  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Good carbon isn't dull. You won't get it in a £1500 bike though, not even in a £1500 frame.

Personally I'm happy to ride any bike if it is has lively steering and feels stiff through the bottom bracket. That makes for antidull.

JulesC | 7 years ago
0 likes

Madcarew,

The much loved Ti MTB I have is exactly the same as yours DB Ti Axis (lovely lovely lovely), just stunning. Thats the difference I was expecting.

Pablo,

Kind of stupid?  I was asking a question, check the OP.

Carbon fibre can be springy, leaf springs from CF are old-hat, they're now making CF coil springs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqxLSPs28no

So carbon CAN be designed to feel lively or even springy!

I took the bike for a 20 minute spin around a town centre the out into the country.  It was pefectly functionally excellent, handled and positioned me over/in the frame well - it was not bad in any way.  Its just that I expected to feel a sea-change from an 11 yr old aluminium bike to a 18 month old carbon fibre.  It was firm and rigid, just lacking life, better than existing model, but £1500 more - not to my mind.

Interestingly the Wilier GTR is in the consideration as I'm looking at that as I want sportier too.

Batchy - nice to have such a great LBS  1

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Comparing materials is all well and good but geometry plays an even more importAnt part. Compareing different styles of bikes and then saying it's the material that makes the difference is kind of stupid.
I own a 2015 cannondale supersix evo hi mod and recently had the pleasure of doing 150 miles on a caad12. Both were brilliant but the supersix is certainly more reactive especially when out of the saddle or going up hill. On the downhill the caad was more stable and predictable and I had more confidence it was going to hold it's line.
So let's be clear both of these bikes have identical geo and both have pro's and con's I would buy a caad and wouldn't feel I was missing much but that extra 5% mAkes the evo special and stupid expensive

JulesC | 7 years ago
0 likes

Alansmurphy

Both poetic and intriguing.

More confusion though  1

JC

rnick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just buy which ever bike makes you smile...I pondered over a carbon bike a couple of years ago & rode a Cannondale Synapse, it was "very nice".  I bought a Van Nicholas titanium, cos I liked it more.  Occasionally, I'll pinch my son's CAAD10 - it's exceptional & very nice to ride if you're in the mood for hammering along.  As is normal, an Aluminium frame will leave you more $$ for a nice set of wheels...

thebungle | 7 years ago
0 likes

My tuppence worth.

My good bike is a Wilier Gran Turismo with Campag and 38mm carbon wheels, despite being sportive orientated the geometry is firmly in the racier camp.

It's enjoyable to ride, handles wonderfully and certainly feels characterful, I love it.

I've also just picked up a Genesis Equilibrium to use as a winter bike, I've set it up the same as the Wilier but it has a steel frame and 27mm tyres. As my first steel road bike I wasnt sure what to expect but after only 500 miles, I love it. It rides differently from the Wilier and whilst subjectively it isn't as quick, it feels so nice to ride.

I've also got a decent amount of time on BMC frames, they are definitely what I'd descibe as dull, perfectly adequate but nothing that made me smile.

So much choice out there, good luck in your hunt. 

madcarew | 7 years ago
1 like

JC, to be fair, I think riding one carbon bike a bit around the environs of a shop and then saying 'carbon is dull' <heaps tinder at bottom of stake> is a bit hasty.

The worst race bike I've ever ridden was a columbus SL handbuilt italian frame supplied by my sponsor at the time. It was absolutely top of the heap, dura-ace, the works, and rode like a tank in sand. However, one of the most sublime frames I've ridden was a british custom built columbus SL frame borrowed from a team mate. As discussed in a thread last week "is all 6061-t6 aluminium equal?" it really comes down to the build. Having ridden a very large tube full alloy Cannondale (1988), it shouted "fun" at you as soon as you got on it. You shouted "assassin" at it when you got off after 80 miles. The response and handling was so quick, and it was so stiff, it would literally eject you from the seat when changing line at full noise in a crit corner. My current cannondale evo hi-mod is very boring... around a parking lot. But when at speed it is the most exciting thing I've ever ridden. The feel, the pointability, the sublime handling, the comfort are at a level I've never experienced from any other material (though a CAAD 12 comes pretty close).

Most carbon frames will feel pretty boring on a trip around an industrial estate, but 100 miles later you'll still be able to walk and smile. Personally I think for performance (power transfer, stiffness, responsiveness at a given weight) carbon is unbeaten. For comfort, handling and pizzazz, it comes down to the build, and you can get that from a good builder in any material. 

BTW, The bike that I simply  got the greatest thrill from owning and riding, ever, was a Diamondback Axis titanium MTB, again provided by a sponsor. I kept it at the end of the season and was devastated when it was stolen in a break-in a few years later. 

harman_mogul | 7 years ago
1 like

My front-line bike is a Cannondale SuperSix Evo HM. For putting in the road miles, it is hard to think of any bike that would feel better. On the other hand, for pure pleasure I usually take out the Cinelli Supercorsa, a steel bike that's been in continuous production for over 40 years (and will be until the clap of doom, it says on the website). Horses for courses mate!

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
3 likes

It's only a flesh wound, come back here and ride!

mike the bike | 7 years ago
3 likes

No, it's never dull.

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
1 like

As you suggest, a tootle around an industrial estate probably won't do it. After getting the road bug in the last 4 or so years (after many years of commuting) I purchased steadily improved bikes in small incraments. Dawes Milk Race, Peugeot Alloy and then a Specialized Allez with Carbon forks and Sora 9 spd. Cycle to work scheme saw me buy a 'gravel' bike with Claris, discs and a bit heavier.

The summer bike on the whole was a tad quicker than the gravel but i could ignore pot holes and rag it a little; Strava suggests not too much difference. Having said that I remained excited when the sunshine made a brief appearance and I could hit the summer bike. I had no real intention of changing but redundancy led to a pot of cash that i didn't want to waste on a kitchen or paying off the mortgage, on the lookout for carbon i went...

A cannondale synapse full carbon with 105 was secured. Even the 8 miles to meet my club it was quicker, i even thought of sending it back as it seemed to be sodding off ahead of me and i was having to move my legs quicker to keep up. On a steep climb and out of the saddle it didn't feel like i was dragging the rear up the hill, it floated up and my presses on the pedals merely facilitated.

This weekend i had a trip on the gravel bike and all of a sudden it felt sluggish. The gap i anticipated between my previous 2 bikes wasn't really there, but now with the carbon it feels huge. Next day on the carbon I was settled on a 1 or 2% downhill tootling at 18mph and put some power down, jumped to 25mph in a couple of seconds. The inane grin on my face was probably the same as when pulling my first wheelie on my raleigh chopper!

Now i understand that the drive train, brakes et al have received an upgrade too, the whole package makes a difference. I just feel the carbon feels like I'm hovering on tge road surface rather than putting power into it. I also think that one or two sprints is merely the beginning, the additional ease will add up over a long ride and be even more beneficial...

JulesC | 7 years ago
0 likes

Nick T,

Less the manufacturer than the individual shop.  And also my lack of experience of carbon frames, hence my OP was a question, not a statement.

JC

drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's all in the mind. 

JulesC replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

It's all in the mind. 

drosco,

Not sure about that, I've ridden a number of aluminium bikes and a range of MTBs.  Yesterday's carbon felt powerful & effective, just lacking in life.

JC

Simon E replied to JulesC | 7 years ago
1 like

JulesC wrote:

drosco wrote:

It's all in the mind. 

drosco,

Not sure about that, I've ridden a number of aluminium bikes and a range of MTBs.  Yesterday's carbon felt powerful & effective, just lacking in life.

JC

Not doubting your judgement but those words "felt lacking in life" don't mean much to anyone else. It's incredibly subjective.

What does "dull" mean? Or "lively" etc etc. How can a metal or carbon tubes be "lively"? How can you measure that? Can you get a group of experienced riders/testers together and get them all to agree on these qualities?

One point I think is valid is that the wheels and tyres can make as big a difference as anything. And how does geometry affect the sensations?

We shouldn't dismiss the power of marketing, personal preferences and prejudices, the ability to deceive/convince oneself.

To the OP: I think you have to go with what YOU prefer. No-one else can know what that is.

Nick T | 7 years ago
1 like

Why would you rather not say what it was? Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you have that much clout to be able to affect a manufacturer's sales by saying you didn't like the 10 minute test ride you had on their mid level offering. 

Guys, sell your Specialized shares now, because I'm about to drop a bomb - the Allez Sprint rides like shit. 

JulesC | 7 years ago
0 likes

Peted76,

Funny you should say that I've just re-read Rob Penn's "Its all about the bike" and I have hankered after a hand built frame.  My existing groupset is 3xTiagra (came to Road from MTB and thought 3x was sensible (Face-palm!!!) and on its way out.  Thats the pressure - change bike before I'm left with a collection of bits that no longer function together or even separately.  So its a full new bike.  The Light Blue Wolfson looks like a steel (see what I did there)but its a 2hr each way journey to test it though.
The issue I have is that I don't want too laid back I do like pushing it and wafting along isn't my thing (well in my own little world I push it hard - while the old lady on the Raleigh Shopper breezes past me).  Think I'll try a few more carbon to challenge/ensure my initial findings were correct and start to hunt down a few steel/Ti frames to try.  I agree, I suspect a chat with Rourke/Bob Jackson etc will be the way I go 953/853 spec.    Life could have dealth me a worse situation  1 

Racingcondor - have you ever considered adopting a middle-aged man? I'm house trained, clean, well behaved etc - that looks stunning! https://www.condorcycles.com/products/condor-leggero-frameset

racingcondor | 7 years ago
0 likes

Peted76 - You should try my 8 year old Condor Leggero. Huge mileage, plenty of other bikes ridden but it's by far the best I've tried, feels amazing.

peted76 replied to racingcondor | 7 years ago
0 likes

racingcondor wrote:

Peted76 - You should try my 8 year old Condor Leggero. Huge mileage, plenty of other bikes ridden but it's by far the best I've tried, feels amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, it's probably the fastest bike I'll ever own, it goes like a rocket, but it just does one thing and one thing well. It's a thouroughbred race bike which is what I always wished for, but the reality is that I'd like a bike I can just 'ride' sometimes and that, I believe, I will get from a steel or ti frame  1 

peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I know what you mean, having 2x entry level carbon bikes and now a top flight carbon bike. I can feel a difference with the new one, BUT even my top end carbon frame is a little bit dull, you get on and it's like a lightweight rocket ship but there is no personalilty there. 

I think my 'next' road bike will be steel or Ti endurance type, I'd love one of Dom Mason Resolutions (steel) and I covet my mates Van Nicholas (Ti). I also keep thinking about Rourke for a custom frame.

There are loads of really good bike builders out there at the moment (apparently). Have you considered getting a frame and putting your old groupset/wheels on? For £1500 you could get a cracking steel frame! In fact for about a grand you could get a hand made Rourke and that'd be a bike for life http://www.rourke.biz/custom_framesets.php

duckbill | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have exactly the same set-up including wheels on both my bikes. One is a carbon Giant TCR and the other is alumimium kinesis Aithien.
I agree that the Carbon bike is dull to ride, very dull, compared to the aluminium. The Carbon bike is the one i use for winter duties because of this.

racingcondor | 7 years ago
1 like

It depends a lot on the frame. My good carbon frame is lovely to ride, my last one didn't feel as lively as the Alu frame it replaced.

If you compare an open mould carbon frame (amazing for the price but not much price) with a £5,000 + superbike you'll see the difference very easily.

It's actually one of the difficulties with carbon. There's only so many variations with round tubed metal frames, a carbon frame with identical geometry will vary a lot based on tube shape, thickness, layup, fibre density etc.

JulesC | 7 years ago
1 like

Nick T,

I'd rather not say as my experience is really limited, I'm no bike reviewer and feel my narrow view is possibly unfair.  Also they fitted flats and I've not ridden flats for 20+ years.  I'm trialling a few others and also sending my current geometry & position set up details over to the original store  and getting the position as identical as possible to my current (comfortable & satisfied set-up) and give it another run out - hopefully a little more extended. Still worry that the frame is well regarded by the cogniscenti and yet I felt it was inert.  Perhaps I've been spoiled by the Ti MTB and I just need to save harder/buy steel. 

Lots of trialing ahead of me, which I do feel bad for the hassle, s'pose £1500 isn't cheap but the 9 out of 10 LBS who won't end up with it I feel for as I'm self employed too.

JC

drosco | 7 years ago
2 likes

How can a bike be dull? How can you measure dullness? A dullometer?

JulesC replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

Inert, unresponsive and lacking in vitality and life.

I understand the conflict between whippy steel frames and stiff power transfer of carbon.  But I didn't come away being over awed or even very impressed really.  As posted above wheels are critical and I've ridden good/bad/indifferent and these were OK, not Carbon tubs but not hooped cast-iron rain gutters.

Russell Orgazoid replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

Your comments on this thread score highly on the dullometer, Mr. Obtuse.

drosco replied to Russell Orgazoid | 7 years ago
1 like
Plasterer&#039;s Radio wrote:

drosco wrote:

Seriously, heavy, yep, aero, yep, stiff, yep, but dull!? I just don't believe any bike can be described as any more or less dull than another. Dull isn't really a measurable thing.

I won't comment again.

madcarew replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:
Plasterer's Radio wrote:

drosco wrote:

Seriously, heavy, yep, aero, yep, stiff, yep, but dull!? I just don't believe any bike can be described as any more or less dull than another. Dull isn't really a measurable thing. I won't comment again.

Presumably you'd have an issue with another being described as 'lively' then, too?

Nick T | 7 years ago
0 likes

What was the bike you test rode?

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

All my previous bikes have either been steel or aluminium. I thought that the aluminium with carbon forks that I had ridden over 80,000 miles on was the best for both comfort and liveliness. However 2 years ago I went for a full carbon "sportive"  jobby and it totally blew all previous notions out of the water. Carbon - once you have ridden it two or three times -is far superior both for handling and comfort. I bought a second  cheaper carbon frame (£500 Inc. post/clamp, b/b, headset and full carbon forks) this summer, with the intention of using it as a winter hack , and it is has turned out to be the best bike I've ever ridden.

Pages

Latest Comments