Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

My First Bike - tough decision...

Okay, so sorry if you are all sick to death of new people coming on here to ask the same old question. If that's the case please feel free to ignore. On the off-chance that you are not bored, perhaps you can help.

I am looking to buy my first road bike. I am nearly 44 years old and the last bike I bought was a nice Marin mountain bike about 15 years ago. I managed to ride it four times and then stuck it in the garage. I gave it to my dad earlier this year. So why on earth would I want to spend money on a new road bike? Well, I used to play football a couple of times a week, then someone tried to kick my knee off and I am going in for cartilege surgery next week. I live opposite a cycling track (tarmac) and figured I could use a bike as part of my recuperation, hopefully to strengthen my knee for skiing in the new year, and also to get back to football.

I never really got on with the mountain bike and the only time I did a lot of riding was in my teens, when I had a lovely little 12-speed Peugeot. How things have changed with bikes since then!

I have done a lot of research into the best value bikes for beginners and have narrowed my choice down to three. Initially I was besotted with the Mango Point R. They get good reviews and I love the minimalist design (I am a graphic designer but not a hipster - I want gears!). So I was all set to get the Point R Claris for £449. Quite the bargain. Then I started reading about wheels and noticed that when bought with the bike I could get the Vision Team 30 wheelset for an additional £69.99. That's a big saving on their RRP so seems a sensible upgrade. The I started reading about groupsets and soon Claris became Sora became Tiagra... I even started looking at 105 because apparently that's when the "proper" stuff starts.

I am acutely self-conscious and don't want to be the plum pushing a £1000 bike up a moderately steep hill in full lycra. That can't happen. In fact, my budget is really about £500 but I am willing to stretch that a bit for the right bike.

So my heart says the Mango Point R Sora/Tiagra with the wheel upgrade.

My head says the Verenti Technique Tiagra - ugly as sin but a steal at under £500.

My inner muppet has now spotted the Merlin FF1 105 Mix at £650. 

I know that 105 stuff is too good for me at this stage but what if I get really into cycling? Would I then need to upgrade a lesser groupset at huge cost early doors? Will I notice any difference between Claris/Sora/Tiagra/105? How about wheels? 

Sorry for the long email but I have been researching too long and my brain hurts - I am going around in circles!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

matthewn5 replied to Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jimjiber wrote:

I will take the plunge in the next few days. I know I will regret my choice - I always do with anything I buy!

So follow your heart and get the one you REALLY want. Don't worry about groups etc if you are new to it they will all feel amazing compared to your Peugeot. The thing to worry about is the frame. If you get on with it, and get into cycling, you can have the fun of incremental upgrades.

Danger Dicko replied to MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

MarkiMark wrote:

I bought my first road bike 4 years ago, but was already a keen mountain biker, and chose well. I'm now the proud owner of an Enigma Esprit titanium bike worth about £4,000 and don't regret a single penny.

Same with me. I'd been riding a road bike 2 years. I'd paid £350 from eBay for an old Ridley. Back in June this year I spent £3K on a Genesis Zero i and I love it. I don't think I could ever go back to mechanical shifting.

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Out of all of those, I quite like the Verenti - I recommended the 105 version to a friend and they love it.

It has the full Tiagra Group set - I also have this on a bike and the Tiagra 4700 is lovely. Basically its 105 but with one less cog on the cassette. However the bonus of this is much cheaper replacement chains and cassettes.

It also takes full mudguards. This is important!

It has a tapered head tube.

The paint job in the flesh is superb.

Its very easy to ride and not too aggressive.

Jimjiber replied to Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

Out of all of those, I quite like the Verenti - I recommended the 105 version to a friend and they love it.

It has the full Tiagra Group set - I also have this on a bike and the Tiagra 4700 is lovely. Basically its 105 but with one less cog on the cassette. However the bonus of this is much cheaper replacement chains and cassettes.

It also takes full mudguards. This is important!

It has a tapered head tube.

The paint job in the flesh is superb.

Its very easy to ride and not too aggressive.

I've read about the paint job looking nicer in the flesh. It definitely seems like the best value of the three.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Depends.

Do you want to middle around, having easy rides, maybe lose a little weight? Or are secretly a bit competitive and prepared to suffer a bit to get fast. You can go from plum to baller between now and next summer when all the guns are out. 

If it's the latter, then head to eBay. Checking out 600 to 900 quid Cervelo R3s, Specialized Tarmacs/Roubaixs, Cannondale CAADs, Giant TCR/Defys.

Eg.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERVELO-R3-Genuine-carbon-bike-size-51CM-/1919...

Loads of amazing value great condition bikes. Lycra isn't optional by the way. Get used to it. Loads of over/underweight guys ride in full lycra. Means you know what you're doing. Look more of a Fred if you try to dodge it. What feels embarassing now can quickly become a badge of honour. Just takes a bit of regular riding to acclimitise to your new tribe. Don't sweat it. We've all been there.

By the way, most guys can't and won't spot your groupset as they drop you. You can be riding on SRAM e-Tap and most guys wouldn't spot it in the wild.

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

Welcome and no need to apologise for asking a question about a new bike, the correct number is n+1 !
First up, this is only my personal opinion but having commuted on a tiagra groupset for 2 years, I can vouch for it in terms of being reliable and good value (and this was the previous iteration). I would however not go below this groupset as the I find the quality and durability deteriorates. 105 is nice to have but not essential on a first bike.
The good news is that there are clearance bargains this time of year ad 2016 inventory is cleared out. Shop around, Evans have some good deals on cannondales and wiggle on felt. There will be others out there as well.
Don't worry about what you think others might think, get the bike that is best equipped for your budget, that looks good and feels good. That way you will ride more. Enjoy !

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Duncan.

I did go to Mango and tried the Point R to check the frame size. I tried a medium and a large but didn't notice much difference - both were a bit uncomfortable and I was a bit wobbbly - but that's just me finding sitting astride a bike totally alien these days!

My arse is still sore today and I was only on the bikes for 20 minutes on Monday!!!

I can't try the Merlin as it is up in Chorley.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
3 likes

A few hours in the saddle and you'll soon realise the vast majority of us look bloody ridiculous  1

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
2 likes

Looks like you've done your homework, and good advice too from BobbyG.

It is a tricky one... you would notice a difference between 8spd Claris and 11spd 105 - but you'd still enjoy the former enough unless you're riding competitively (or snobbishly) and replacement chains and cassettes cost peanuts.

On the other hand, and particularly if you live in a hilly area, having 11 on the back does give you extra ratios without wide gaps between them. As BobbyG notes, you wouldn't have to worry about the cost and hassle of upgrading later. And a 105-equipped bike is likely to be bit better in other ways too... nice wheels on that Merlin.

I think that if you can afford £650, go for the 11spd option. It's clearly a bike and ver good value for that money. Although it's a bit more now, it may well save you money over the longer run by being a bit more 'future-proofed'. Most of us don't need to go near to £1000 to get a really good bike these days.

Another good (although more commonplace) 105 option at that price: www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-red-blue-id_8364452.html

The one thing you haven't mentioned is actually test-riding the bikes. Sometimes the geometry and 'feel' of a bike is more important than an extra sprocket on the back.

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Bobby.

So this pushes me towards the Merlin FF1 as it has some 11spd 105 5800 bits on it. I really like the look of it too - just worried it might make me look too serious (I am a bit out of shape). 

The bonus with the Mango bikes is that they don't look too "Tour de France"!

Dnnnnnn replied to Jimjiber | 7 years ago
1 like

Jimjiber wrote:

Thanks Bobby.

So this pushes me towards the Merlin FF1 as it has some 11spd 105 5800 bits on it. I really like the look of it too - just worried it might make me look too serious (I am a bit out of shape). 

The bonus with the Mango bikes is that they don't look too "Tour de France"!

Tape over the '105' labels and slit open some old inner tubes to wrap around the frame. Stick some crappy looking mudguards and heavyweight tyres on it and get out loads over the winter. Then when Spring springs, rip off the tape/tubes and - BOOM - make your impact! yes

BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

My first road bike was a Felt F75 2013 model (bought in 2014).  It's a lightweight, aluminium frame with a pretty racey geometry.  It came with 105 (albeit with an FSA crank) and cost me £599.

I've made some upgrades since, such as new wheels, chainset, bartape, saddle but this remains to be my one and only bike, and I'm very happy with how it performs.  Yeah we all want something better, but I'm not prepared to upgrade until I can afford one of Dom Mason's beauties  1

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that 105 is definitely achievable, probably by opting for a 2016 model bike (since the 2017 ranges are released around now).  That said the new Tiagra 4700 looks a decent groupset, and for all intents and purposes will be almost the same as my 105 5700 10spd.  If it were me however, I'd be trying to get hold of 105 5800 11spd.  I know some people advise to get the best frame you can & upgrade components later, but I guess you have to ask yourself how likely you are to do that.  I'd sooner buy a new bike than upgrade a whole groupset on my existing steed for example.

Pages

Latest Comments