Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

My First Bike - tough decision...

Okay, so sorry if you are all sick to death of new people coming on here to ask the same old question. If that's the case please feel free to ignore. On the off-chance that you are not bored, perhaps you can help.

I am looking to buy my first road bike. I am nearly 44 years old and the last bike I bought was a nice Marin mountain bike about 15 years ago. I managed to ride it four times and then stuck it in the garage. I gave it to my dad earlier this year. So why on earth would I want to spend money on a new road bike? Well, I used to play football a couple of times a week, then someone tried to kick my knee off and I am going in for cartilege surgery next week. I live opposite a cycling track (tarmac) and figured I could use a bike as part of my recuperation, hopefully to strengthen my knee for skiing in the new year, and also to get back to football.

I never really got on with the mountain bike and the only time I did a lot of riding was in my teens, when I had a lovely little 12-speed Peugeot. How things have changed with bikes since then!

I have done a lot of research into the best value bikes for beginners and have narrowed my choice down to three. Initially I was besotted with the Mango Point R. They get good reviews and I love the minimalist design (I am a graphic designer but not a hipster - I want gears!). So I was all set to get the Point R Claris for £449. Quite the bargain. Then I started reading about wheels and noticed that when bought with the bike I could get the Vision Team 30 wheelset for an additional £69.99. That's a big saving on their RRP so seems a sensible upgrade. The I started reading about groupsets and soon Claris became Sora became Tiagra... I even started looking at 105 because apparently that's when the "proper" stuff starts.

I am acutely self-conscious and don't want to be the plum pushing a £1000 bike up a moderately steep hill in full lycra. That can't happen. In fact, my budget is really about £500 but I am willing to stretch that a bit for the right bike.

So my heart says the Mango Point R Sora/Tiagra with the wheel upgrade.

My head says the Verenti Technique Tiagra - ugly as sin but a steal at under £500.

My inner muppet has now spotted the Merlin FF1 105 Mix at £650. 

I know that 105 stuff is too good for me at this stage but what if I get really into cycling? Would I then need to upgrade a lesser groupset at huge cost early doors? Will I notice any difference between Claris/Sora/Tiagra/105? How about wheels? 

Sorry for the long email but I have been researching too long and my brain hurts - I am going around in circles!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Simontuck | 7 years ago
1 like

I bought a Specialized Allez (alloy) with claris as my first, then a Giant TCR (carbon) with 105 as my 'race' bike.

I still get just as much fun out of the Allez, although I did spend £15 upgrading the derailleur and mech to Sora (runs a little smoother and still works with the claris shifters once properly tuned).

The main problem you will have is whether to go for a racier or sportive(r) oriented bike. The former will give you more responsive handling and put the power down more satisfyingly. The latter will iron out the bumps and allow for a more upright position (although thats not upright like a city bike, just in comparison with a race bike). A test ride with both types normally sets people clear on what they want.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

Basically, race bikes are longer and have a lower front end for that proper 'Pro' head and hands down, bum in the air positioning that you mentioned with the huge seatpost stickout. A bike with 'endurance' geometry tend to have a higher front end and shorter top tube for a slightly more sit-up-and-beg position.

If you're starting road cycling, I'd definitely start with an 'endurance' bike until you get fitter and more into it. I've been back into cycling for about 3 years (8,000 miles) and love riding my Giant Defy which is very much an 'endurance' bike but hired a proper race bike abroad recently and loved it. My next n+1 will probably be more race orientated than endurance.

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

I noticed people talking about road bikes mention the geometry and whether it is a "race" or "aggressive" geometry and whatnot. What does this mean to a n00b like me?

In general, is a race geometry found on a bike that forces you into a more hunched over posture? Is it basically like the seat is much higher than the bars, so you are more aerodynamic?

Looks to me like the Felt F75 is a bit more like that than the Merlin FF1. That's probably perfect for when you are cheesing it but does it mean it's much less comfortable when you are taking it  abit easier?

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

So Jim, now you've got everyone's opinion, where do you stand??!!

Jimjiber replied to BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

BobbyG wrote:

So Jim, now you've got everyone's opinion, where do you stand??!!

Thanks for asking!

I am still torn between the Merlin FF1 and the Felt F75. I have a friend who works for a bike mag, so I will wait and see if he can help me make a choice between the two.

My surgery is tomorrow, so I don't think I am allowed to ride a bike for a few weeks anyway. I won't leave it much longer though in case those two bikes sell out in my size.

Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

If I were you, I'd get the lowest gears possible. Prioritise your recovery from surgery over looks!

Also, people who say "XX/XX gears are fine for any hill" probably don't live near any hills.

Jimjiber replied to Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Morat wrote:

If I were you, I'd get the lowest gears possible. Prioritise your recovery from surgery over looks!

Also, people who say "XX/XX gears are fine for any hill" probably don't live near any hills.

I live at the top of a hill in hilly, hilly Bath!

I can cycle in just one direction for about 3 miles before descending into the crater. I am happy with that side of the equation but there will be an inevitable monster of a hill on the way home!

longassballs | 7 years ago
2 likes

To be the fly in the ointment... forget 105, forget future proofing, maybe even forget a road bike. After a long time not riding and recuperating from injury the most important thing is comfort. That means big tyres, wide range of gears, the right size bike and trying before you buy. You'll get bored of the track and winter is coming... The roads are gonna be shit. Go to Halfords and try a Voodoo Bizango mountain bike. £600 or regularly on sale for £480.

If you must have a road bike or hybrid go cheaper; £300 or so.

Why?

Even if you buy all your clothes from Aldi (pretty much cheapest) you're looking at minimum £200 for clothes. Jacket or Jackets. Midlayer Jersey. Baselayer. Bib tights or shorts and legwarmers. If you wanna be comfortable you need a chamois pad. Socks and shoes. If you buy a new bike they often don't have pedals. Helmet and gloves. As it gets warmer you'll need clothes for better weather.

Are you gonna take care of the bike? Chain lube, multi-tool, inner tubes, puncture kit.. this is minimum. Bikes are like a shitty car - money traps.

Jimnm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just buy a bike that fits, you like and what you can afford. If you get a chance test ride a few before making a commitment. Good luck. 

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

My indecision has cost me - all the Mango bikes have gone up by £50!

Now I am tempted by this Felt one...

https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f75-road-bike-2016-93834.html?utm_camp...

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't buy that 56cm. I'm 5' 11" and ride a 57cm. It would be a real compromise that would always niggle you. If you keep searching ebay you'll find something  suitable eventually.

Jimjiber replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes
guyrwood wrote:

I wouldn't buy that 56cm. I'm 5' 11" and ride a 57cm. It would be a real compromise that would always niggle you. If you keep searching ebay you'll find something  suitable eventually.

You are way too sensible! Thanks.

If this was a 58 I would definitely bid on it. Hopefully one will come up soon...

matthewn5 replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

Depends your flexibility. I'm 5'11" and ride a 55 with a long stem and setback seatpost. Feels just right.

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes

If the 56cm frame is too small, could this be sorted by getting one of those setback seat post thingies? Despite my height my legs aren't mega long - I take a 32" length in jeans. If the frame size isn't stupidly small for me then I will definitely go for the SL4

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
5 likes

Like what SP says

A good frame is a solid basis for upgrades.

Newish second hand will get you a lot more bicycle for your money, but there are risks.

Don't discount looks. If you get that little frisson of happiness whenever you look at your bike then you are more likely to want to ride it and look after it.

Don't loose sight of the reason you are buying the bike. To help you recover from an injury. Which to my mind makes comfort and lower gearing somewhat a higher priority.

No chance of borrowing the MTB back from your Dad is there?

dottigirl replied to Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
3 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

I was going to suggest that he buy or borrow a hybrid-type bike before plumping for a road bike.

I don't agree with the sore arse comment above - sometimes a change of saddle can work miracles, and turn an instrument of torture into pleasure. Your sit bones are the only thing that should ache, and they adapt. However, padded shorts are recommended.

Your hands are also another part which may get surprisingly sore. My elbows copped a lot in the first few months - I was locking them out a lot. Some aches in your back/neck are OK, others are a sign that your bike setup isn't right.

Can't really recommend a bike, but remember changing a couple of things can make an uncomfortable bike comfortable, or not at all (saddle, stem, brake pads, tyres). Size and geometry can have a massive impact. (I've just collected my Racelight bike from my sister's house, and just one ride confirmed to me how much more comfortable it was over the Ruby number I've been riding recently.

Jimjiber replied to Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

I could do that but I never really got on with it. Probably why I hardly used it. I prefer the feel of a road bike, in terms of riding position.

mikebelluk | 7 years ago
1 like

Well worth a look at Decathlon's Triban 540. And if you feel like you got the wrong size they'll change it for you too. 

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
1 like

Wouldn't mind a look at a Btwin. I think the nearest shop is Southampton, so not exactly local but a possibility...

700c | 7 years ago
2 likes

Definitely consider Decathlon's Btwin range. Great value and appear to be good quality. A friend has one and likes it. Plus a local shop means it should be easier to try/ look at in the flesh/ take back in the event of issues.

Also remember that although they're known as budget bikes in the UK (you are on a budget after all!), they've got a good reputation on the continent - in France they sell some pretty high end stuff under the Btwin range.

drosco | 7 years ago
2 likes

You aren't going to get much cred from the Rapha crowd, but £650 gets you 105 and Aksiums at Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-red-blue-id_8364452....

Jimjiber replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

You aren't going to get much cred from the Rapha crowd, but £650 gets you 105 and Aksiums at Decathlon:

Is that better than the Merlin at the same price?

drosco replied to Jimjiber | 7 years ago
1 like
Jimjiber wrote:

drosco wrote:

Is that better than the Merlin at the same price?

They're very similar. I guess the advantage is you can sit on one before you buy.

kil0ran replied to drosco | 7 years ago
2 likes

drosco wrote:

Or if you'd like a slightly more understated version of the same bike:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8350480.html

As to groupsets, yes you will notice the difference between 105 & Claris, but only if you ride a 105 bike  1

Its utterly reliable, very fast to shift and unbeatable for the money. The latest iteration of Tiagra is also good (but 10-speed only). Both will be mindblowingly good (as will Claris) compared to an old Peugeot with downtube non-indexed shifters.

As to 10/11 speed you are still paying a premium for 11-speed bits which you may not need - unless you live somewhere really hilly. For this reason a bike with Tiagra can be better value and cheaper to maintain (11-speed chains, cassettes, and wheels are 10-20% more expensive than 10-speed)

The only remedy for a sore arse is decent shorts - and if you don't want to be out there in lycra get some undershorts with a good pad and wear baggies over the top.

Have you checked whether your employer does Cycle To Work? At least 25% off a new bike...

Jimjiber replied to kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Have you checked whether your employer does Cycle To Work? At least 25% off a new bike...

I am self-employed. Well, director of a limited company. I mentioned this to my accountant and she said it wouldn't be of benefit as we are not yet VAT registered. Shame as 25% off would be nice!

matthewn5 replied to drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

Don't worry, there's a strong and loyal Triban crowd!

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
2 likes

Don't be ashamed to buy a triple if you don't want to be huffing and puffing. 30t small ring and a 32t on the back would be great for beginners. If you're stronger than you thought then you've still got plenty of gears to take it at a greater pace. Also think about your knees. Better to spin with less torque if you're coming off surgery.

wycombewheeler replied to Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Don't be ashamed to buy a triple if you don't want to be huffing and puffing. 30t small ring and a 32t on the back would be great for beginners. If you're stronger than you thought then you've still got plenty of gears to take it at a greater pace. Also think about your knees. Better to spin with less torque if you're coming off surgery.

No need to buy a triple. A lit of people seem to be of the opinion that the granny gear makes it much easier. Not so as usually the casette has less range. 34 small chainring with 28 large sprocket will get most people up most hills, and will match the 30 x 25 ration on a triple.

MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

Don't fret too much detail. First bike, and with your history, get any old thing (that fits) and see how it goes. If you buy second hand for £500 and don't like it after a year then a) you'll sell it for about the same as you bought it for and b) you'll have a much better idea what your second bike is gonna be.

I bought my first road bike 4 years ago, but was already a keen mountain biker, and chose well. I'm now the proud owner of an Enigma Esprit titanium bike worth about £4,000 and don't regret a single penny.

Jimjiber replied to MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

MarkiMark wrote:

I bought my first road bike 4 years ago, but was already a keen mountain biker, and chose well. I'm now the proud owner of an Enigma Esprit titanium bike worth about £4,000 and don't regret a single penny.

FOUR GRAND! 

Blimey! If I had that I would buy a new(er) car!

I still can't make my mind up. It was always going to be the Mango Point R but then The Verenti looks like same or better spec for less money and the Merlin looks like much better spec for same sort of money.

I will take the plunge in the next few days. I know I will regret my choice - I always do with anything I buy!

Pages

Latest Comments