Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rain Coat Recommendations, please

I am on the look out for a waterproof cycling jacket. There are many out there but I am struggling to find the combination of these factors

• Drop tail that covers your backside properly so that spray from the rear wheel hits the coat, not your bibs
  • Good Breathability (but recognise there are limits if it is waterproof)
  • Rain-proof rather than just shower or wind-proof
  • Able to be carried as I would only wear when it is raining - essentially I don't expect it to pack into a back pocket without anything showing out the top of the pocket, but I do expect it to pack smaller than a softshell jacket. I'll either carry it with half hanging out the jersey pocket or put in the water-bottle tool holder

I already have a very good lightweight shower jacket from Rapha but I need something a bit more waterproof and more protective on the rear. Don't need additional warmth as I have soft shells for the winter.  Any suggestions gratefully received!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Giordana jacket that fits that bill - I think it's this one:

http://www.giordanacycling.com/men/both/jackets/181/hydroshield-jacket

Incredibly light and packable and completely waterproof.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

Or even proper mudguards.

Waterproofs should be for the rain, keep the roadspray away with mudguards.

Stumps | 7 years ago
1 like

Whilst you are focusing on a "longer tail" why not get an "ass saver" for a couple of quid off ebay and problem solved, you can get any waterproof and not worry.

mostly | 7 years ago
1 like

I was in a rush to get out and what I meant to say was whilst standing it's halfway over the ass. When aero it covers said ass. I could get away with a medium but sized up for winter jersey coverage.
This ass left it at home today and paid the price.

mostly | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6 foot 2 and a large tourmalet just about covers my backside when in the drops.Similar story with my sportful light.   Bibs still get wet. I am in the process of convincing myself that some sportful bibs with a 'storm flap' would be a worth while purchase.

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for the comments so far. The links are very helpful.  The Castelli Muir and the Gore One both seem to be well recommended but didn't seem to have much of a drop tail. Or am I wrong? The Rapha Pro Team Race cape is a good example of  a long enough tail but the price is a bit high for me

The Galibier had a photo on the website that mostly kindly provided which showed a rider with hardly any of the backside covered when wearing and riding, but the flat pictures seem to show a fairly deep tail -  I am wondering if you just need to pull it down? The price seems exceptionally good and the feedback is also excellent

I had thought the best recommendation in the Tempesta - seemed to have the deepest drop tail (and Evans have it a fair bit cheaper)  .....until I saw the photo on the Wiggle link of the rider wearing while on the bike.  It seems to show the tail sitting fairly high on the backside and fully pulled down

hmmm???

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-sl-shell-jacket/?sku=5360764023

ticks all your boxes, I think.  Waterproof, breatheable, long at the back and rolls up small enough to go in a pocket.

mostly | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://galibier.cc/product/tourmalet/
Not as packable as say a sportful, but you can get it in a jersey pocket. Excellent waterproofing and good breathability, one of the best bits of kit I've got.

OnTheRopes | 7 years ago
0 likes
Stumps | 7 years ago
0 likes

Try the Gore Bike Wear ONE Gore-Tex Active Jacket, its not cheap but worth every penny.

Latest Comments