Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Botched repairs

Took my mtb for a "free" six week check up offered by a well known high street retailer. I asked them to switch the gear and brake levers for me. Their team used some sort of lubricant to put the grips back on. Actually sprayed lubricant inside the grips. So it's degrease the bars and new grips for me...

What are the worst botched repairs you've come across?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

The large shop near me where my dad bought my mountain bike from uses untrained kids as cheap mechanics, they get everything wrong. I had a Marin mtb frame warrantied there so they just switched everything over from my old frame to the replacement, even though the frames were different and the new one needed a completely dfferent headset and a wider bottom bracket. I didn't find out about the bb until the crankset kept coming loose and I had great difficulty getting it off. The only part from the old frame they didn't use was the brake hose clips, they used cable ties instead. I don't go there anymore..

multimodal | 7 years ago
0 likes

AST1986 to paraphrase the old adage, "Explain twice, purchase once."

Alessandro | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not technically a repair by a shop but they one was certainly involved. A few years ago and with far less experience of bike repair, I decided that I would replace my rear brake caliper myself after it had started to seize. I went in to a "well known high street retailer" (probably the same one...), explained what I needed and walked away with what I thought was the correct part. 2 hours later and with the air around me turning a darker shade of blue, I just couldn't get the caliper attached to the bike tight enough. Although I didn't want to admit defeat, I wasn't getting any closer to resolving the issue so, tail between my legs, I wandered back to the shop with the bike and brake caliper. Almost as soon as I walked in, one of the sales assistants (a different one to the one that initially served me) looked at me and explained that I was never going to be able to attach a front brake caliper to the rear of the bike. Fuming doesn't even begin to cover it!

Jimbomitch | 7 years ago
0 likes

An old Vespa trick for fitting grips is to spray 'rattle can paint' on the iside of the grip, acts as lube and acts as glue when it dries.

multimodal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. I'm looking at GT86 in a whole new light, now! 

The shop accepted their imbecility. Manager called and personally apologised about everything (there were other botches in this this multi botch distaster). It wasn't GT86 and it wasn't a small amount.

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
2 likes

I use GT85 too..... not too liberal though...... when I'm swapping out shifters on customer bikes... what I do is "tease" up an edge of the grip and spray GT85( through tube piece)between grip and bars....then use a bradawl....Bike Mechanics friend.... to go down the inside of the grip.....work the bradawl to "break" the seal and slide off..... usually if just reusing I just clean up the excess and slide the grips back on......on new grips..... a drop of washing up liquid....a drop..... massage up the bars then slide the new ones on....will be tight but not too tight to go on but tight enough not to slip......   oh no.... too many tips from within the workshop

Redvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

GT85 also makes the grips stick on the bars too. Yes, I know it sounds wrong but it does work, I was doubtful when I was told but after trying it I can say it does work.

Spray a tiny amount of GT85 the grip, then slide it on the bars and into position and leave to dry. Try it and see for yourselves.

kev-s | 7 years ago
1 like

Ive always used gt85 to remove grips

Then give the bars and grips a good clean in washing up liquid and dry everything

Finally  a little spit down the grips/on the bars and twist them back on, leave for a few hours or overnight and they are good to go

Or just buy lock on grips

multimodal | 7 years ago
0 likes

@guyrwood Definitely wasn't hairspray. Still slipped off (very easily) the next day.

@DeeJayJay that sosunds reasonable, but cleaning it up is pretty key.

I'm more annoyed about it now than I was when it happened!

DeeJayJay | 7 years ago
0 likes

At a shop I used to work at, if the grips were tight to get off, the mechanic would spray GT85 inside the grips to lossen them off. This may be what they have done, and not cleaned the bars before putting the grips back on.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

Are you sure it wasn't hair spray? Hair spray's a bit whiffy but it's actually pretty good for fitting grips because it effectively glues them on as it dries out.

Latest Comments