Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib shorts for heavier riders

Any recommendations since knee surgery I have gone from 82kg to 95kg I have been doing a lot more resistance training but still have lard to shift. My pads in various bib shorts are not cutting it on 5+ hour rides (even the new shorts) any tips for shorts with pads for the heavier chap?

Although I can get in a medium my legs tend to end up eventually splitting the seams even though the waist and straps are bang on. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

pizzadapeloton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have both BTwin 500 and some Pearl Izumi bibs in XXL. I can say what I don't recommend and that is the Pearls. OK for short training rides but anything longer than 20 miles and you'll feel chafing, chamois cream or not. I have a fairly unpadded saddle (er, scrub that, a rock hard Selle Italia SLR), and there just isn't enough padding there. I even had the same chafing problem with a squishier Selle San Marco saddle as well, so think it's the bibshorts which aren't up to the job.

I'll be making a trip to Decathlon soon in order to get more (will try the 700s this time probably). Top Clydesdales recommend it.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well over 100kgs and the £40 BTwin shorts do the job for me. Aerofits (£50 version) have same pad but for some reason not as comfy as the cheaper model. Previously worn Santini Slice shorts from Prendas (who cater for the larger gentleman admirably) and they've been absolutely fine on a 70-miler.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheers fellas I will have a think on that

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
1 like

Agree on the Assos. I'm 90 kilos and they are ace. Also I'd really recommend the Merlin Elite Bib shorts, they have a brilliant firm pad as well.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rapha Brevet shorts are really comfortable.  Better and thicker pad than the other shorts they do. Pricey though.

FatCycleRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

I find that Dare2b AEP bibs work well. I have big legs so need a XXL.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

BTwin's 700 model (not aerofit).  Has a very firm gel pad that softens nicely when used.  My 92kg finds them very comfortable - and only £40, bargain.

Latest Comments