Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Very scary incident near Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire, 26th June - and a plea for help

I need a witness if anyone was cycling around Bolton Abbey on the morning of 26th June.

So at about 10AM I was riding into Bolton Abbey from the road coming from Skipton when a small red car came the other way. The drive stopped in the middle of the single track road and started f-ing away at me. Naturally, rather than stopping I continued. Two minutes later the same driver came chasing after me, swerving and nearly running me off the road. He stopped to get out, so I accelerated away. He then followed me, sitting behind me revving his engine and shouting out the window. I tried to get away,  doing U turns, signalling right then turning left at junctions and so on, but he still continued, swerving at me and trying to run me off the road. Eventually, after I did two U-turns in quick succession, he saw me coming the opposite way, crossed into my lane (head on), making me do an emergency manouver to stop going over his bonnet. I stopped, got my phone out and started to dial 999, but he started getting out the car, so I got back on my bike and legged it as fast as I could. When I next stopped, I realised that I didn't have any details, such as the car registration, but I had noticed he was a guy aged about 50 in a smallish red car.

Did anyone see any of this? There were loads of cyclists about. If so, can you PM me, so I can get enough details to call the police.

I am scared shitless after this incident - never seen anything like this in decades of cycling. It makes me very close to giving up.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Any street cams in the zone you were in TLO? These scumbags need to be dealt with. The Strava flyby idea is a really good one, if you have it.

brakesmadly | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm guessing Saint Nick hasn't been in touch, TLO?

the little onion | 7 years ago
1 like

Nick Ahad - if you are reading this, it seems almost certain that this is the red car driver that you sent off to retrieve your car keys. Please tweet a link to this, and message me via this website. You are my best hope of finding these people.

0 likes

@York

I'm think mounted on helmet is best when it comes to confrontations, but useless if you get hit from behind and wipe. Also maybe a bit annoying riding with that weight on your noggin. Maybe a rear facing one.. Still thinking about that myself. 

Jimnm replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

unconstituted wrote:

@York

I'm think mounted on helmet is best when it comes to confrontations, but useless if you get hit from behind and wipe. Also maybe a bit annoying riding with that weight on your noggin. Maybe a rear facing one.. Still thinking about that myself. 

good god, there are loads of dickheads out there behind steering wheels. The crime of road rage should be dealt with severely, the threat imprisonment, would be a massive deterrent. IMO.  Sorry to hear about this incident. I hope you put it behind you and carry on cycling. 

Gus T | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'll second the SJ4000 recommend, have used both a GoPro, SJ400 and unless you looking to go professional,the SJ4000 will cover most of your need. Just a word of warning, make sure it's a genuine SJCAM model not an unbranded clone as the quality can vary. Also consider the SJCAM M10 which is a bit more compact.

turboprannet replied to Gus T | 7 years ago
0 likes

Gus T wrote:

I'll second the SJ4000 recommend, have used both a GoPro, SJ400 and unless you looking to go professional,the SJ4000 will cover most of your need. Just a word of warning, make sure it's a genuine SJCAM model not an unbranded clone as the quality can vary. Also consider the SJCAM M10 which is a bit more compact.

I bought a clone and it was one of the worst purchases I've ever made of anything ever, big shame. Heard some great things about genuine SJ4000.

maldin | 7 years ago
1 like

If you think the incident was intentional, then this site might be worth looking into. 

http://closecalldatabase.com/about/

It's intent to to build up a database of intentional harrasement of cyclist (not just near misses due to indifference, bad driving etc) by "rogue" drivers in one's local area. Given how little else one can do without witnesses and vehicle registration numbers (and given also that police rarely intervene unless someone has actually been injured), this is probably the best way to record the incident and perhaps assist other's in the future. 

BTW, I have nothing to do with the site. I merely came across it whilst trying to work out how to deal with my own near-death experience. 

2 likes

see my comment on the car keys thread

NeilG83 | 7 years ago
1 like

Firstly, did you steal a man's car keys at Bolton Abbey before this incident?

If you didn't this is a case of mistaken identity, not a driver out to get you.

A man had his car keys stolen by an angry cyclist at Bolton Abbey and a couple in a small red car set off in pursuit, it seems as if they may have followed the wrong cyclist.

Story of incident here: http://road.cc/content/news/195074-bbc-dj-car-keys-appeal-after-cyclist-...

If you have twitter you can contact @NickAhad

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

Ha, you sound like me unconstituted. I sometimes get the feeling one day I'll write a cheque I can't cash but I feel most of the time why should they just drive away without being told they're dangerous twats. This typical Harrogate Range Rover type undertook me turning right of junction the otherday, I thought they'd pulled up next to me to turn left. We both pull out and I realise she's going to run me into the middle of the road. You shout at them and they're all aghast and suddenly the victim of a cycle lout, never mind you could have been under their wheels.

I've got a SJ4000 GoPro clone but never use it anymore. It used to be my MTB and BMX footage camera but I only tried it on my helmet road cycling once and found it distracting. Maybe I need a different mounting place like the bars but then if you get in a ruckus, the camera is on the floor.  Where's the best mounting place for a 'safety' cam?

bigshape | 7 years ago
6 likes

do you use strava? if so you could potentially contact some of the riders you crossed paths with via looking on flyby for the ride...?

2 likes

Get back on the bike tomorrow. Any time something uttery sh*t happens, you have to get back out and face it. 

The chances of this happening to you again, ever, is so incredibly remote that it's not worth worrying about.

Two or maybe three weeks back I was climbing a small hill on my way out of the city and a couple of guys in their mid 20s to mid 30s started shouting some nonsense at me and revving up. Took me a few secs to catch on what was happening and then they swerved towards me. I didn't have to move out of the way to dodge it I don't think, but I did any way to be sure, it was just them trying to scare me or whatever. I eyeballed them, said something I shouldn't have,  and they revved off and shouted 'get off the road' as they went. I'm pretty aggressive so not entirely bothered. Actually get off on a bit of confrontation and will get my head kicked in one day as I tend to escalate. Those two guys... not really wanting to knock me off, just being playful in a sort of dickhead way that you can only get away with when you're either in a car or behind the internet. They don't actually realise that they could easily kill someone.

I reported it on some site about accidents for cyclists that was linked here. Pointless of course. I had no details. Think like you I made some comment whining about it.. what else can you do!

Any way, been cycling more with the missus recently, so it's time to get a camera like Fifth says. I'll take a bit of stick, but any nonsense that might put her off cycling needs to be paid for. Seems 1080p minimum and 60FPS, preferably even higher res, like 1440? Can read plates really good. Gonna look for a deal but won't cheap out on this, as I really do want it to be able to read plates primarily. 

You could report it to the police, just in case they already have another incident fitting the same description. Pricks tend to act like pricks regularly, so I doubt very much you're the first person they've tried to intimidate..

Try and laugh it off, but get a camera and mount it on the rear. It's everything now. You'd have had these guys caught and heading for a court date and driving ban if you had one!

Fifth Gear | 7 years ago
1 like

This is why so many cyclists use cameras. Without one you have no evidence whatsoever.

2 likes

Cheers for the support!

Griff500 | 7 years ago
3 likes

Firstly, you have my sympathy. This is an appalling incident, and I would love to be able to help, but sadly I suspect anyone who saw any of this would already have come forward. You suggest that you have not reported it to the police, but surely anyone who saw anything would report it to them. You need to report it, who knows they may be waiting to join the dots.  

I'm sure when the dust settles you won't give up cycling on this basis, and I certainly hope you don't. After all, similar things have unfortunately happened to pedestrians and drivers, and we can't all just go home and lock ourselves in. You may however want to get a bike-cam for your peace of mind.

Latest Comments