Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

RIP Guy Wharton - Husband, father, much loved secondary school teacher from Billington, Macclesfield

I didn't know Guy (close friends did), I never witnessed the tragic head on collision he suffered with a car. I have however written a short piece to raise awareness of the risks of overtaking on country roads without "thinking cyclist".

Please take time to read my article, my simple intent is preventing this happening again. No more.

We all go out hoping the weather will be good to us, that we can make it up that hill. We shouldn't need to think "Will I come back alive?"

Link to blog: http://bitly.com/thinkcyclist

If you like the post, please consider sharing online, speak to people. Maybe it's time for some advisory signs on roads where risks are high?

Welcome your respectful thoughts.

Paul Johnson

Macclesfield, Cheshire

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Pdjohnson | 7 years ago
1 like

I've been so taken aback by the response from this blog. After 10,000 reads I knew I had to do something bigger, to try and achieve some kind of a positive outcome.

Over the past week I have been busy speaking to many many people behind the scenes. I'm poised to launch a social media campaign and busy building a website to house a very special film we are going to make in the coming weeks.

I've published a follow up blog where you can find out more explaining that I need your help, and it's quite simple to do so.

Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very sad news.

jockster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Guy was a friend of mine and a fantastic dad and teacher, truly one in million. He lived for his family, his pupils and cycling up hills. A just giving page has been setup for him to provide small amount of support for his family:
crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Give-back-for-guy?utm_id=106&utm_term=BmjqJjv3K

Thanks, Simon

kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

In a previous life I was a boy racer and general petrolhead and the Cat and Fiddle is their equivalent of Ventoux or L'Alpe - a place to rock up with your mates just for the pleasure of travelling on it as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately such roads are also brilliant for cyclists (who unlike the drivers are unlikely to be breaking any laws).

racyrich | 7 years ago
6 likes

Yes, 8 years ago my teammate was similarly killed. I was probably the last person he ever spoke to. He said his goodbyes and peeled off to do the 10 miles home and never got there. Some little git decided he'd overtake a Sunday driver and bang, one dead cyclist.

Because the 18 year old driver had some disease (MS or CF, can't remember now) he was somehow utterly excused and got the predictable, slightly inconvenient fine.

Meantime I packed up riding as my teammate was number 24. I'm up to 29 now. 29 people I was on speaking terms with killed by cars in the 35 years I've been cycling.  The most recent in April - RIP Richard Ellis (Essex Roads CC).

Pdjohnson replied to racyrich | 7 years ago
2 likes

racyrich wrote:

Yes, 8 years ago my teammate was similarly killed. I was probably the last person he ever spoke to. He said his goodbyes and peeled off to do the 10 miles home and never got there. Some little git decided he'd overtake a Sunday driver and bang, one dead cyclist.

Because the 18 year old driver had some disease (MS or CF, can't remember now) he was somehow utterly excused and got the predictable, slightly inconvenient fine.

Meantime I packed up riding as my teammate was number 24. I'm up to 29 now. 29 people I was on speaking terms with killed by cars in the 35 years I've been cycling.  The most recent in April - RIP Richard Ellis (Essex Roads CC).

That's just awful. I did think about proposing a campaign to get Think Cyclist signs up on known busy routes for cyclists where overtaking is necessary. For example Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass etc etc. I held back as in this time of mourning it felt innapropriate. Hearing this makes me think there is absolutely a need for it.

Food for thought.

kil0ran replied to Pdjohnson | 7 years ago
1 like

Pdjohnson wrote:

racyrich wrote:

That's just awful. I did think about proposing a campaign to get Think Cyclist signs up on known busy routes for cyclists where overtaking is necessary. For example Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass etc etc. I held back as in this time of mourning it felt innapropriate. Hearing this makes me think there is absolutely a need for it.

Food for thought.

We have "Pass Slow and Wide" signs on busy cycling routes in the New Forest. 

Under signs warning of horses, cows, and deer.

Often tempted to pop out with some laminated cyclist signs

Pdjohnson replied to kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

Pdjohnson wrote:

racyrich wrote:

Food for thought.

We have "Pass Slow and Wide" signs on busy cycling routes in the New Forest. 

Under signs warning of horses, cows, and deer.

Often tempted to pop out with some laminated cyclist signs

I am still consdiering quite what to do in a positive and active way to counteract this awful event but one would be to lobby for Think Cyclist style signs. Particularly in relation to overtaking. It cannot do anything but good.

Some fellow cyclists have toyed with the idea of putting some signs up too.

brooksby | 7 years ago
6 likes

I've just read your blog, Paul.  Sounds truly horrible, and I sincerely hope that the police are involved. RIP, Mr Wharton.

Pdjohnson replied to brooksby | 7 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

I've just read your blog, Paul.  Sounds truly horrible, and I sincerely hope that the police are involved. RIP, Mr Wharton.

My understanding is that the driver was taken into custody. There are no winners in this situation. The whole thing is quite terrible.

Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
7 likes

My condolences to Guy's friends and family. Most of us have had near misses. May they remain near misses.

Latest Comments