Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How tall are your socks?

I recently received a pair of Castelli Rosso Corsa 13cm socks, WOW! I was just used to normal length bike socks and never through about it mostly teamy socks or castelli 9cm ones, but that extra 4cm makes them so much more supportive and snug. It is not like my ankles were poking out before but WOW! I now have to upgrade all my socks one at a time (order some component off wiggle, pop a pair of 13s in there with the Haribo.) Should I go even taller or would that just look stupid. How tall are your socks? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

S13SFC | 8 years ago
1 like

Tall socks for me as the pathetic ankle socks should only be worn my female tennis players.

toussainthr | 8 years ago
0 likes

Too much debate for my liking!  Just check out the definitive answer on Velominati....
http://www.velominati.com/rantings-from-the-v-bunker/velominatis-sock-he...

srchar | 8 years ago
0 likes

Unfashionably short ones make an ideal third sock in cold weather.

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depends which pair I randomly put on. 

Leviathan | 8 years ago
1 like

The longer sock is a modern look we have just got used to. We have all been Wigginized with our skinny aero jerseys, hooped bands and tall socks. But until you are a tri-dude, ankles should not be seen.

I am surprised this thread gained so much traction. Narf.

Butty replied to Leviathan | 8 years ago
2 likes

Leviathan wrote:

The longer sock is a modern look we have just got used to. We have all been Wigginized with our skinny aero jerseys, hooped bands and tall socks. But until you are a tri-dude, ankles should not be seen.

I am surprised this thread gained so much traction. Narf.

Great. I look forward to having to fit 20 wing mirrors on the front of my bike.

Boss Hogg | 8 years ago
1 like

Somehow anything below 13cm looks kinda 90s or even 80s, which is a thing to avoid.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Boss Hogg | 8 years ago
2 likes

Boss Hogg wrote:

Somehow anything below 13cm looks kinda 90s or even 80s, which is a thing to avoid.

Said Boss Hogg ?!?!?

Dnnnnnn replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Boss Hogg wrote:

Said Boss Hogg ?!?!?

TypeVertigo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Personally all my socks are ankle-high. Maybe it's a hold-over from my running days, but I don't really see the point of wearing tall socks while cycling in a tropical country like mine.

Dnnnnnn | 8 years ago
3 likes

Have you thought abour wearing a different length on each leg to compare/contrast in real time? After all, socks - like saddles - are a very personal thing. What works for one leg may not work for the other.

bikebot replied to Dnnnnnn | 8 years ago
4 likes

Duncann wrote:

Have you thought abour wearing a different length on each leg to compare/contrast in real time? After all, socks - like saddles - are a very personal thing. What works for one leg may not work for the other.

Wouldn't there be an issue with the bike constantly pulling to one side? It's like that disc brake issue all over again, but with socks.

Dnnnnnn replied to bikebot | 8 years ago
1 like

bikebot wrote:

Duncann wrote:

Wouldn't there be an issue with the bike constantly pulling to one side? It's like that disc brake issue all over again, but with socks.

I'm sure wearers would soon cotton on to the different characteristics.

giff77 replied to Dnnnnnn | 8 years ago
2 likes

Duncann wrote:

Have you thought abour wearing a different length on each leg...

this only works when you're a haggis

Edgeley | 8 years ago
4 likes

My socks are taller than I am.  Makes me lovely and warm, but impedes my vision.

Dnnnnnn replied to Edgeley | 8 years ago
2 likes

Edgeley wrote:

My socks are taller than I am.  Makes me lovely and warm, but impedes my vision.

It was worth posting twicelaugh

Edgeley replied to Dnnnnnn | 8 years ago
4 likes

Duncann wrote:

Edgeley wrote:

Sorry about that.  It was one for each leg.

Boss Hogg replied to Edgeley | 8 years ago
0 likes

Edgeley wrote:

Duncann wrote:

Edgeley wrote:

Sorry about that.  It was one for each leg.

lol 

Edgeley | 8 years ago
7 likes

le Bidon | 8 years ago
1 like

I still haven't found the best set up for my socks. I've got fat ankles and gigantic calves. I want long socks, but they stretch!

zedthegreat | 8 years ago
1 like

Not sure how tall in cm my faves are as bought ages ago, but they come up to just below the main part of my calf muscle. And I know this will annoy some of you, but they are bright green yes

Butty | 8 years ago
1 like

Short socks should be part of the code. They emphasise your fitness by showing skinny ankles against your bulging calves.

Long socks lose that contrast. You may as well wear your black office Mark n Sparks socks instead for half the price.

I fully expect to see "combination very long socks with leg warmers" this winter as the latest trend, all for a modest price.

Make them full of holes for that hi tech warm air layer marketing BS and charge double.

StraelGuy | 8 years ago
1 like

I wear normal socks put push them down hard so not much is showing.

Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
4 likes

Double entendre-fest!

Simon E | 8 years ago
1 like

The thought of long socks reminds me of being back at school, and not in a positive way. But 13cm isn't quite the same as being pulled up to just below the knee.

Are they these ones? http://road.cc/content/review/85054-castelli-rosso-corsa-13-socks

I looked at the review of the 9s, they look very similar to my untrained eye:

http://road.cc/content/review/90004-castelli-rosso-corsa-9-socks

From where do they measure the length?

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
2 likes

AFAIK 7-9cms is old school. 13 cms is the new normal. 15cms is pushing the boundaries of taste.

Twowheelsaregreat | 8 years ago
1 like

You've got it all wrong. 11cm socks for the win

BBB | 8 years ago
3 likes

All socks except of the low cut ones look stupid with shorts.

Leviathan replied to BBB | 8 years ago
1 like

BBB wrote:

That is perverse, a nice pair of matching socks is so much more crispy than looking at your ankles.

Simon, yes thats them. Its not much to the eye but your legs know it. It the height of the ankle but includes a little bit of sock as well as the cuff.

Daveyraveygravey replied to BBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

I agree, there's a lot of utter twaddle and hype about socks in cycling.  They should just appear over the top of your shoes, anything else looks like fashion-victim land to me.  There was a guy doing the Fred who knee-length ones which really really really looked wrong.  How can socks "support" ?!  

Latest Comments