Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Woman's bike heresy ...

Hi all,

My missus is definitely coming round to the idea of cycling, which pleases me no end.

But she hasn't cycled for years, and really has no idea where to start (in terms of bikes).

So I'd appreciate any advice on 'starting' bikes. She wants something she can take round Richmond Park (so it needs gears and shouldn't weigh too much), but it should also be Ok for getting around time and cycle to the shop type stuff. (i.e. it should be comfy!)

I realise this is a tall order, but has any got any good suggestions on where to start looking, or forums, etc.?

Many thanks,

Tim.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ThunderCat | 13 years ago
0 likes

Check out this Evans link for women's specific hybrid bikes between the £350-£450 price range: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/womens-specific/womens-bikes/women...

Narrow down the options depending on aesthetics, weight, specs, price etc. Then visit your local Evans or LBS to see if they have the bikes or similar in her size (get the bike adjusted to her measurements) and get her to try it out.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!  16

james-o | 13 years ago
0 likes

i'm biased of course, but I'd agree with simon e above - i know 2 cyclists' GF / partners who love the Ridgeback Metro 3 or 7 speed bikes and seem to have no problem going at a fair rate on them despite not being regular riders. It seems that confidence and comfort allow them to get on with it and they like the look of the bike as an option over more racer-style bikes.

Recomended, especially since my GF now seems to prefer hers to a mall-frame MTB build, even on forest trails. simple 3-speed and a step through frame and she's riding better than with 27-speeds and discs / front forks. so as long as she's happy.. )

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd suggest a traditional styled sit-up bike with fairly swept back bars - these tend to be more comfy than flats/risers. Look at Ridgeback's catalogue, they have lots of nice looking sensible bikes, Giant CRS look nice too. The other main brands will surely have suitable models. Full mudguards, rack or basket and maybe a chainguard would be sensible. More gears confuse matters, if I were spending for my other half I'd definitely consider a hub-geared model.

The answer is to visit a couple of bike shops - she can surely make up her mind once sees and sits on a few bikes. Is she employed? If so perhaps she can get something on C2W.

Super Domestique | 13 years ago
0 likes

£450 seems a decent amount given my first road bike has to come in under £500 and I am 'into' cycling!

I daren't mention how much (little) my wife's bike cost then!

Anyway, I have a Speccy brochure at home and my wife was looking through it last night and really liked these:
http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk//detail/32/Globe%20Carmel%20Women's

It could be what you are looking for.

jova54 | 13 years ago
0 likes

For a printed listing have a look at Cycling Plus. They've started doing a full listing of all the bikes available in the UK, although IIRC they're road specific.

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well, I'm desperate for her to start cycling, so she can spend what she wants. In reality, I can't imagine she'll want to spend more than £450. Which, in the big scheme of things, I'm hoping should offer her a pretty good selection of options!

Super Domestique | 13 years ago
0 likes

What sort of price are you looking at?

Latest Comments