Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing a cycling club

Had my first experience of riding in a group today and was shocked by how much easier it is than solo. 

Was struggling to get clipped in when I was passed by 5 chaps who all offered "morning" as they sped past. By the time I was clipped in they were 20m down the road. Over the next mile or so I kept pace with them at the same distance behind before they had to stop at a junction allowing me to catch them. They then resumed their earlier pace. I was surprised how much easier and enjoyable the shelter made things and am now thinking of joining a club. I know most will let you try before you buy but is there anything I should be mindful of when doing this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Danno | 7 years ago
0 likes

Am Aylsham way. There's a few to choose from so will go and try each ones club rides before choosing.

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

Danno, if you're near them, the folks of VeloWatton are very friendly and welcoming, with regular club rides 2 or 3 times a week. 

I ride out with them when I am visiting family in that neck of the woods.

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

A good thing to do, is to spot some of the rides of the various clubs on strava, and see which ones you think would suit you, for hilliness and pace.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

Don't worry about not keeping up initially (although from what you've said this shouldn't be a problem), you'll be amazed how much fitter and faster you'll get by going out with a club. Soon you'll be dishing out some punishment on training rides yourself. Enjoy  1

Danno | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your tips. I average around 17mph over a 2 hour run on varied terrain. Whoever said Norfolk is flat has clearly not been to north Norfolk. 

I'd be happiest initially as a social thing then maybe race once I'm capable of more. So will look at clubs with scope for both. Looks like there are several within 15 miles of me will check out their Facebook and go along for some rides

dawghawg | 7 years ago
0 likes

i echo previous comments. i have found my local club to be a bit 'racy' and not much fun. whereas ctc in my area at least has an active facebook board and 'fancy a ride' informal groups within the more organised club makes it really friendly.

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

I'd echo Marty's comments. It's simple really, just find a group of people who you feel comfortable with. That may a organised club or a bunch of mates who are happy to see new faces.

Try the British Cycling clubfinder, check CTC (now Cycling UK) and goskyride.com for local groups. Friendly, welcoming clubs and groups are likely to have a social media presence, even if it's just instagram pics of them sitting outside a pub.

MartyMcCann | 7 years ago
3 likes

1) Try out a few clubs- it took me a few goes to find one that suited me- and in fact it turned out to be a club 16 miles away as opposed to one of the two within 3 miles.

2) Try and get a feel for their ethos- are they more of a racing or a leisure club or a good mixture? Judging by your original post it seems you might be after a leisure club for the time being.  I am lucky enough with mine- they have a large contingent of racers but are also growing the leisure side- some will be strictly competitive.

3) If you are on Facebook, see if any of the clubs have pages- it gives you a good idea of what sort of club they are.

4) Many are getting better, but there are still a few who aren't overly welcoming of new people. If you show up for a ride and they notice you are new at least some of them should introduce themselves and keep an eye on you. The first club I turned up with ignored me then sped off, dropping me in the first 7 miles-and this was on their advertised leisure run. Thankfully though this is now a much rarer situation, but gives a good insight into the actual club ethos.

5) How many different type of rides do they offer- my own clubs has A and B runs- B is a lower average speed and no-drop and, if we have a lot of new people show up, we sometimes even offer a C run.

6) Know what your current average speed is- it will help you get into the best group for your first few runs.

Latest Comments