Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano RS81 C24 Carbon Laminate Clincher Wheelset or Pro Lite Bracciano A27 Black Alloy Clincher Wheelset?

Hi All, had been considering some new wheels for some time before some unplanned and unexpected gymnastic stunts have neccesitated bringing my plans forward. Both the following wheels have come reccomended, but as a heavier rider of 95kg nervous about buying the wrong wheels.

Would appreiate others experience of the following and alternative options.

Shimano RS81 C24 Carbon Laminate Clincher Wheelset or Pro Lite Bracciano A27 Black Alloy Clincher Wheelset.

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Sudor | 8 years ago
0 likes

C24's

I'm 103 Kg and have worn out two sets of C24's (rim wear) and have resused the hubs for rebuilds using new rims.  Suprisingly strong wheels for their weight, remained true despite crappy road conditions where I ride - great accelaration and the alloy breaking surfaces provide reliable breaking.  

hennahairgel replied to Sudor | 8 years ago
0 likes
Sudor wrote:

C24's

I'm 103 Kg and have worn out two sets of C24's (rim wear) and have resused the hubs for rebuilds using new rims.  Suprisingly strong wheels for their weight, remained true despite crappy road conditions where I ride - great accelaration and the alloy breaking surfaces provide reliable breaking.  

Same here. 104kg. Have a set of RS80s C24s and a set of RS80s C50s. They've withstood me, the crappy Bristol roads and I'd buy them again. The C24s have been faultless, the C50s have suffered 1 broken spoke. And I can brake in the wet.

jaknudsen replied to Sudor | 3 years ago
0 likes

Where do you purchase new rims?

MoutonDeMontagne | 8 years ago
1 like

I've had a set of RS81 C24's for the last two years. Good, lightweight set of wheels, only thing I'd say is if you plan on riding in bad weather through the winter, buy a cheap set of back up wheels. I've worn the brake track out on mine after 7000km, and I'm not heavy on the brakes. Mostly a result of riding a lot in Jan/Feb/March in prep for events and long rides in April & May

Grahamd replied to MoutonDeMontagne | 8 years ago
0 likes

MoutonDeMontagne wrote:

I've had a set of RS81 C24's for the last two years. Good, lightweight set of wheels, only thing I'd say is if you plan on riding in bad weather through the winter, buy a cheap set of back up wheels. I've worn the brake track out on mine after 7000km, and I'm not heavy on the brakes. Mostly a result of riding a lot in Jan/Feb/March in prep for events and long rides in April & May

Thanks, will bear that in mind.

Grahamd | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks All, appreciate your feedback. The koppenbergs, are a bit beyond my budget. Have just ordered the RS81s from Ribble at £262, which appears like good value. So lets hope they live up to expectations.

the infamous grouse | 8 years ago
0 likes

pay the extra and get the koppenberg max25SL+

harman_mogul | 8 years ago
0 likes

RS81 great wheels and amazingly strong for such a low spoke count, but the alloy brake track is thin, and once worn through, replacing rims is very costly.

Lungsofa74yearold | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have RS 80s - fast light comfortable and tough. Or try Campagnolo Zondas - essentially the same wheels as the Racing 3s but cheaper (around £250 on line) - very highly rated by many (>1300 reviews on Wiggle - average 4.8). I have Campag Protons - great wheels, very tough. Only downside (with all campagnolo wheels) is fitting tyres - the mother of all struggles. 

Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden Braccianos for several years and thousands of miles and the only issue I've had was occasionally pulling the drive side rear out of the dropout when "en stompeuse" up nasty changes in gradient.

I'm just under 90kg.

pablo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought the C24's with GP4000 ii fitted and am really happy with them.  I was very tempted by the fulcrum 3's as i have some 5's for training and they have been bullit proof but I felt like a change.  The c24 are very smooth and seem ok with my 86kg current weight i have had some front spoke ping but as they are less the 200 miles old i'm not to worried.  Acelerating up to speed is better compared to my deep sections (1700g) and in rolling terain they feel faster.  

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

A vote for RS81s from me - Shimano build quality and reliability, easy to service cup-and-cone bearings.

Others on here have been happy with Fulcrum wheels, the Racing 3 is in the same price band and weight is about the same (though weight makes naff-all difference in the real world).

Latest Comments