Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

What type of bed is best for your back?

Hello all,

I'm moving into a new place and have been given the option to choose what type of bed I have. This is an unprecedented one for me, as I've always rented furnished places and had to like or lump whatever ungodly combination of IKEA mattress and frame I was given. 

Anyone got any ideas/feelings/intuitions on what type of bed is going to be best for my back, which gets pretty sore when I do a lot of riding? I've heard stuff about futons being decent, but would appreciate some firsthand (or should that be firstback?) experience.

For the record, I'm pretty confident the sore back isn't an issue with bike geometry, more the result of terrible posture and a lot of couchsurfing and staying in hostels.

PEACE!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

DanielCoffey | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can offer a little tip specifically relating to memory foam mattreses... they are less than ideal on a double bed.

The reason for this is that memory foam mattresses are cold and relatively firm when you first get on them and they soften as you warm them up. Once you are settled in and have drifted down into the foam that you have warmed, any change of position in the night involves you having to overcome a hill of colder, firmer foam surrounding you.

Why is this an issue with a double mattress, I hear you ask?

That hillock of cold, firm foam between the two of you makes a very effective chaperone!

Velo_Dom | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you found yourself a mattress that is good for your back?

I work for a small independant bed retailer that stocks all the "main" bed manufacturers in the UK. You could argue this is my area of expertise. There is literally no straighforward answer to this question. Anyone reccomending a mattress type or brand is doing so base on their own experience, that flaw in this is that everyone is different. 

Similalry dont just assume that any mattress denoted as "orthopedic" or similar is best, this is often just a way manufacturers show that a mattress offers firm support, firm isnt always best for back complaints

I wont bore you with anymore I promise, but if you still have decided and you want some impartial advice, hit me up.

The Family Cyclist | 7 years ago
1 like

Pocket sprung with built in memory foam topper. Down side is makes other beds when on holiday etc seem a bit rubbish.

nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pocket sprung are good. muji do a nice one and inexpensive. Like the previous poster I have a 10 year old Tempur. Ridiculously comfortable but it struggles with temperature extremes. Cold in winter and hot in summer. I'm used to it now but it took a few seasons. 

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a pocket sprung mattress from IKEA. I find it more comfortable than more expensive options, and visitors have said how much they like it.

I have joint problems, and don't do well with either excessively hard or soft mattresses.

I have a memory foam topper, but I didn't like it as it was sweaty, and it made the mattress less comfortable.

wellcoordinated | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a bed with a Tempur matress, which is really comfortable. I've had one for ten years or more and recommend them. However my back is shot to pieces, but that's nothing to do with the bed.

FrankH | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Vehnemojnen. Well, not in bed (or on the floor) with him, but you know what I mean.  1

I'm currently in China for three months and I'm sleeping on a typical Chinese bed. The "mattress" is several planks of wood covered by a thin mat, about the thickness of a sleeping bag so it's like sleeping on the floor but in a bed. The first time took about a week to get used to it, this time it took no time at all. I'm thinking of converting my bed in the UK, I just have to work out how to do it.

I still get backache but not as much and it's probably more down to bad posture and old age than anything else.

Vejnemojnen | 8 years ago
1 like

i do not want to sound like a jerk, but, the only thing i have found to be comfortable and back supporting on the long term was the floor.  1 I literally love sleeping on the floor. Always wake up refreshed, without any strain. On beds-mattresses, I often had problems with my lower back and neck.

Latest Comments