Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help : Flat mount Road caliper on a Post Mount frame?

Hi. Just about to buy a Synapse frameset with post mountings for disc and most of the Shimano Road Hydraulic calipers on sale appear to be flat mount. Is there a way to mount a flat mount caliper on a post-mount frame and what adapter do I need, please (140mm disc)? ( I know the opposite is possible - post mount caliper on a flat mount frame) 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

holmertz | 4 years ago
1 like

I can confirm that the adapters from A.S. Solutions work! At least on my Specialized Crux 2017 frame with the new Sram Force AXS flat mount brakes. Got the 140-160mm adapters (as I run 160 brake discs) and they were super easy to install.

So just leaving this comment here in case anyone else considers getting them at it is getting increasingly hard to find post mount road calipers.

north1 | 5 years ago
1 like

This adapter from a.s. solution might work. I have IS mount and was not convinced to pay the shipping to Europe yet.

https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/

WillstOne | 7 years ago
0 likes

Will this fit?

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ive got the r785 calipers on two bikes and have never caught my heal on the banjo connection

Infact my heal would hit the frame before the banjo connection

The rs785 caliper does have the bleed nipple at the back of the caliper rather than at the front like on the r785 caliper so they will be a little easier to bleed

Another thing to remember as these are basically xt calipers it means you dont have to run the shimano pads, there are plenty of alternatives out there along with rotors

My current set up is hope rotors with superstar components pads

These work just as well as the shimano rotors and pads but the hope rotors were £40 for the pair rather than £40 each for the ice tech ones

Same goes for the pads,  superstar pads £8  (for 2 calipers) shimano ice tech pads £16 (for one caliper)

Have done over 3000 miles on this set up on one bike and they have been faultless

macrophotofly replied to kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

These work just as well as the shimano rotors and pads but the hope rotors were £40 for the pair rather than £40 each for the ice tech ones

Same goes for the pads,  superstar pads £8  (for 2 calipers) shimano ice tech pads £16 (for one caliper)

Have done over 3000 miles on this set up on one bike and they have been faultless

Many thanks for the tips - good to know!

macrophotofly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for all the help. Looks like they aren't backward compatable then which is a shame as the flat mount units would only seem to need an adpater that lowers them - perhaps the frame too often gets in the way. Still plenty of the RS 785 units around on Amazon which I am going for instead of the R785 units (which have the Kev-s kindly pointed out are the XT -rebadged units). They are still post mount and the pipe run into the RS caliper is better than on the R

damienodwyer | 8 years ago
0 likes

There is a buyers guide on this site about disc brakes.  This has a picture of a black/green synapse fork with the front caliper on it.  At the rear, there is an adaptor that the rear of the caliper is bolted to.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Flat mount calipers will only fit flat mount frames

Post mount calipers will fit post mount & flat mount frames with an adaptor

The r785/r685 caliper is a rebadged MTB XT caliper which is widely availible (i have the xt calipers on my mtb & the r785 calipers on 2 road bikes)

damienodwyer | 8 years ago
0 likes

It is possible. I've a Synapse Disc and they simply bolt onto an adaptor. 

kwi replied to damienodwyer | 8 years ago
0 likes

damienodwyer wrote:

It is possible. I've a Synapse Disc and they simply bolt onto an adaptor. 

Really?  Can you post a pic?

. . | 8 years ago
0 likes

No they aren't compatible that way, but post mount calipers shouldn't be too hard to find.  How about these?

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-st-rs685-hydraulic-disc-brake-stis-...

Beware that the prices change regularly.   I've seen them for £299 at Sigma and PBK recently too.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looking at my frame which has a Flat mount on the rear and a post mount on the forks, I don't think so.  SRAM still do post mount calipers. Or if your going cable and really want Shimano there are some CX calipers about.

(Infact just found some bumpf saying flatmount is not backwards compatable.)

Latest Comments