Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

S Works Allez, what's the point?

I myself have a 2014 smartweld Allez by building it myself. Now, you can buy an S Works Allez frameset which cost like €1700 and for that kind of money I think you can buy a used Tarmac 10r frameset. Even if they are equal, I don't know why someone would prefer the Allez. 

What do you think?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Carton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well, it's cheaper and at 1,050g probably lighter than the 10r frame. And as Pete said, a lot of people don't trust crashed carbon. In fact, many pros still use alloy bars and stems -which doesn't make much sense to me since the rest of the bike is carbon, but I guess the bars get dinged on nearly every impact.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

New verses Old is not a comparison, some people won't touch a second hand carbon frame as if it's cracked you probably won't see anything wrong with it.

Metal frames are generally stronger and made in less pieces, therefore you can identify any issues in the frame easier.  People like ally frames for criteriums as it's more likely you'll take a knock and it's less likley to write off the frame thereafter.

New Tarmac SWorks frame is 2400EURO so the answer to your question is people 'might' prefer the Allez becuase it's 700EURO cheaper (and it only weighs 1050grams).

Personally I'd love to own an SWorks Allez, I think they LOOK the business. However would I pay for one, NO, with my own money I'd pay for a CAAD12 frameset and spend the difference on components.

Latest Comments