Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Weedy legs

I can't even manage climbs I used to be able to do on my mountain bike! I had to stop half way up the steep climb on my commute to breathe out of my ears for a bit.

I ran out of gears so maybe I would have just done a granny ring grind to the top in the past.

Someone tell me my legs will come back!  20

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gone are the days when pro's just rode a bike to be better. There is no reason why us mere mortals should just ride miles and miles to try and improve either. That style of training really lost its way in the late 90's early 2000's.

A carefully thought out program of exercises to target specific muscle groups will improve your cycling over time. Also remember that there are muscles not worked during cycling, so working these in a gym/ home gym environment can actually tune the muscle balance of your body, ease aches & strains and help prevent injury.

I am just planning my 5 month winter program which will include 1 x leg specific gym session, 2 x turbo sessions and 1 or 2 on the road rides per week. From October to end December the focus will be on gaining top end strength and power. Then January and February will be tuned to retaining that strength and gaining endurance/stamina. This sets me up will for a pre-season bootcamp in mid March.

I'm lucky and can get to a gym every lunch break but there is no reason why you can't do stuff at home. Simply putting a few water bottles in a backpack to add resistance to a squat can be done at home easily as an example.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tbf I did call it gym work but actually I just do it in my house (not in a gym room, just my bedroom usually) and it takes just 10 mins a few times a week to see genuine gains on the bike. Obviously you do still need to ride and train but those 10 mins off the bike do more for me than extending a ride by 10 mins.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think your idea of 'lots' is at odds with the facts.
How many hours do the pros spend riding compared to hours in the gym?
Given that the limiting factor in amateur riders lives is always time; time for recovery, time for training and so on, the time people spend in the gym and travelling to the gym and travelling home is much better spent riding a bike.

The only thing that makes you better at riding a bike is riding a bike, in my experience.

sergius replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

the time people spend in the gym and travelling to the gym and travelling home is much better spent riding a bike.

That's not practical for everyone. I'm in the gym 5 days a week but only get to ride on weekends. A 37 mile (each way) commute from one side of London to the other makes cycling to work impractical, and the time I'm out commuting/working don't leave me any time for an after work ride of any worthwhile duration.

I do however get to spend 45 minutes a day in the gym at lunch - which with a structured training programme can certainly help your cycling. I do three days of legs/core training Monday-Wednesday, and then upper body Thursday/Friday to let me legs recover for a weekend ride.

Be wary of sweeping generalisations.

LarryDavidJr replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:
crikey wrote:

the time people spend in the gym and travelling to the gym and travelling home is much better spent riding a bike.

That's not practical for everyone. I'm in the gym 5 days a week but only get to ride on weekends. A 37 mile (each way) commute from one side of London to the other makes cycling to work impractical, and the time I'm out commuting/working don't leave me any time for an after work ride of any worthwhile duration.

I do however get to spend 45 minutes a day in the gym at lunch - which with a structured training programme can certainly help your cycling. I do three days of legs/core training Monday-Wednesday, and then upper body Thursday/Friday to let me legs recover for a weekend ride.

Be wary of sweeping generalisations.

I would also say that if you can go to a close by gym during your lunch break it's a great way to get in some non-bike exercise that will still reap rewards on the bike. I personally like to do some core work every day, then a quick bit of either upper or lower strength. Sometimes I'll do a run or some other cardio if I haven't been able to ride at the weekends, just to keep the general fitness up.

sergius wrote:

the time I'm out commuting/working don't leave me any time for an after work ride of any worthwhile duration.

I would say that if you can get a turbo trainer and can muster the energy when you get home, even just a 20 min (hard) session once or twice a week will give you some benefits over nothing at all.

BeatPoet replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

"How many hours do the pros spend riding compared to hours in the gym?"

I don't know. Do you?

I think you're way behind the times. Combining strength training along with "normal" bike training is going to help an amateur improve a lot quicker than just spending hours on a bike - unless they're specifically doing high intensity workouts.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone think that all the riders who didn't win a mountain top finish in the Tour were told to go and do some squats by their DS?

Cycle training is specific; the key to getting better at riding a bike is riding a bike.

Just keep riding your bike.

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Does anyone think that all the riders who didn't win a mountain top finish in the Tour were told to go and do some squats by their DS?

Cycle training is specific; the key to getting better at riding a bike is riding a bike.

Just keep riding your bike.

Actually I would say that most pros will do lots of off bike training in the gym, not massive weights but strength and stability training.
I know for certain that I ride better with some static non weight gym work...

Yogic Cyclist | 8 years ago
0 likes

Squat, just plain old squats. Not sissy not sumo or any other concoction, just plain old simple squats. 5x5 once per week, prior to a rest or recovery day.

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hard hill reps every 3 days will kill your legs in no time - no point in doing muscle-group specific training if it's simply down to fitness.
Just get out and ride more - sit, stand, one-legged as long as it's riding a bike and enjoying yourself.

Poptart242 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can confirm, sissy squats make your quads scream. Although if your knees are as noisy as mines, maybe do them with headphones in  31

Oh and the repeat to failure part. Hell yes.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hill reps every 3 days - tackle the same hill until failure - and stay SEATED. Resist the temptation to stand up or alter your position. Depending on how long the hill is do it 5 times or 10 times until you absolutely cannot do it it any more. Not just don't feel like you can't go on any more but physically can't go on any more because you are just about to puke or your quads are shaking so much they are going to explode.

Working the exact muscles you use for climbing to complete failure will send the signal to the brain that they need to grow, and fast.

Make sure you eat enough protein before and after the sessions and thank me in about a month when you have got super quads that will carry you up anything.

btw, you can get to this puking/falling off level in about 30 minutes easily so no need for monster hill climbing sessions.

Go in as high a gear as you feel comfortable with without comprimising your knees or any other structural parts.

DONT STAND UP ON THE PEDALS no matter how bad you feel. Save that position for another training block. i.e. next month.

And don't overtrain, 2 days rest in between will get you surprisingly good strength, as long as you have gone to complete and utter failure.

Groggy PM replied to AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

AJ101 - that's tremendous advice. Thinking about it, that's exactly what I did on my mountain bike about 10 years ago!

Thanks mate (although I might not be thanking you when I'm puking at the side of the road  31 )

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Come off it mate, there are no hills in York so pull yourself together !

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Groggy PM replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:

Howardian Hills  21 around Sheriff Hutton and Terrington. Not exactly alpine, but steep enough to make your legs burn!

Batchy replied to Groggy PM | 8 years ago
0 likes
Groggy PM wrote:
Batchy wrote:

Howardian Hills  21 around Sheriff Hutton and Terrington. Not exactly alpine, but steep enough to make your legs burn!

So the Howardian Hills are part of your commute then ?

Groggy PM replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Batchy wrote:
Groggy PM wrote:
Batchy wrote:

So the Howardian Hills are part of your commute then ?

Yep, I work at the school in Terrington. Quite a few options for extending the ride from there.

Groggy PM | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think it's just that hill! Still can't do it, but I rode 43 miles today in two and a half hours, with a fair few longer, draggy climbs so I guess it'll come!

Gave the bike some TLC and used WD40 to de-grease the chain after watching it on GCN - it really works!

burglarboycie | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't feel put off by a bit of a struggle once in a while. The hard parts of rides are the most helpful in the end
Enjoy the ride
James

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, i think I won't try too many at first, i could feel my leg muscles working hard instantly, so it must be a good sign!

Groggy PM | 8 years ago
0 likes

Watch your knees mate - I could be wrong but after watching someone doing then on youtube, my knees hurt!

I'm still going to give them a go.

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have been looking at ways to be able to maintain the same cadence with a smaller cog, found out about the magnificently named sissy squat. Will be trying to do them regularly and see if it makes difference.

Johnny25 replied to pants | 8 years ago
0 likes
pants wrote:

I have been looking at ways to be able to maintain the same cadence with a smaller cog, found out about the magnificently named sissy squat. Will be trying to do them regularly and see if it makes difference.

Try the Hindu squat too. Certainly helped me build up my leg strength and combined with hill reps, cycling steep hills became much more achievable.

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm jealous that you get to commute in a seemingly nice part of the world, my daily hill on my commute is crystal palace.

Strava your attempts up the hill and seeing the improvements will spur you on

pants replied to Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

I'm jealous that you get to commute in a seemingly nice part of the world, my daily hill on my commute is crystal palace.

Strava your attempts up the hill and seeing the improvements will spur you on

haha by london standards crystal palace is hilly!

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

You need to lift, bro.

Groggy PM | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys, I think there's a part of it that's psychological - people seem surprised that I'm commuting up it, but in the greater scheme of things it isn't that bad!

http://veloviewer.com/segment/3640938/Terrington+Bank+-+steep+bit

I'll get it next time!  3

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

Adapt and survive. You can do it.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes they will! On my daily commute I have to go up a rather challenging hill, will it is for me, and when I first started out I too only made it half way before running out of gears, but I set the lamp post challenge to myself and that helped, I now get to the top and haven't run out of gears. I don't nail it every time and only get a good time every now and then, but I do make it to the top and not out of breath, breathing deeply perhaps. So just stick at it and join the lamp post challenge, or any other object up the hill. Best of luck.

Latest Comments