Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube - A Cautionary Tale

Cube – A Cautionary Tale
Purchased a Cube Litening in 2013 for over £2000. Used it fairly lightly over Summers of 2013 and 2014 (have other bikes).
Took it to Italy twice, the last time this Spring. Packed with loads of protection in a hard bike box – no issues. Last day in Italy and the top tube has a crack right across it. Ok I though as the bike had not been crashed or anything then Cube would replace frame under their 5 year warranty.
My LBS went to Cube with photos etc. More than a month for Cube to come back and say they would not replace – must have been crashed or damaged in a bike rack (I don’t have one). More to-an-froing and eventually offer to sell a replacement frame under crash replacement scheme without giving any details of what that is.
More waiting on Cube who eventually say they will sell a frame only (no fork) and leave me and the LBS to put together a mis-matched frame and fork to look like a dog’s dinner. Needless to say not acceptable to either me or LBS.
More correspondence and eventually they will sell me a complete frame with price quoted in Euro’s. Ok I thought, equating price using average exchange rate still quite a bit cheaper than I can buy something like a Dolan carbon frame. Frame arrives (different colour than shown but no problem). However in yet another attempt to really sour the customer experience they used and exchange rate of 1.1 Euros to Sterling! Just concluded another round of correspondence via LBS who have been very supportive throughout and eventually got an adjustment of £77 in my favour.
In summary whilst the bike is a really great ride, Cube themselves are not prepared to back up their product and will go out of their way to make dealing with them an ordeal. Needless to say that is the last Cube I shall buy.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

chrisreb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes realise that as I purchased from LBS I could have taken them to court. However had a lot of very good deals/ discounts from them over the years and really did not want to ruin things this way.

My best recourse in this case is to let others know before parting with their cash. Obviously Cube bikes are cheaper than some brands for a reason.

I have bikes 10/20 years old still going fine.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Isn't your issue actually with the retailer rather than Cube? (or did the retailer just act as a collection point and your transaction was online direct with Cube?)

freebsd_frank replied to AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cube – A Cautionary Tale

Sorry about your bike frame breaking but thanks for posting about it.

At least you have the satisfaction in knowing that anybody who reads your post
will avoid Cube.

If Cube had any sense (assuming their frames cracking isn't a regular
occurence) they would have replaced your frame and apologised. How many sales
will your tale cost them? And how many sales would they have gained if instead
you had posted "Cube said my frame must have been defective and they replaced
it and apologised, no problems"?

It wasn't clear if you bought the bike directly from Cube or from a dealer. If
the latter, I would have taken the dealer to the small claims court. Usually,
just the threat gets you what you want if you have a strong case. I don't get
the impression that you're lying (ie. you actually stacked the bike) and if
the court gets that impression too when you give your evidence, it would
come down in your favour.

If you bought the bike direct from Cube, I think (although I dont know; you'd
have to do some research) because they're in the EU you could take them to the
small claims court.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't think Cube are online only are they? I got my Cube from Hargreaves.

chrisreb replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

Me too

chrisreb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Definately. (PS not the Chris that used to work in Hagroves?)

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

This is the sort of reason I won't buy from online-only retailers for anything like frames or wheels.

At least you had the support of your LBS, but imagine trying to deal directly with the manufacturer.

Iamnot Wiggins replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

This is the sort of reason I won't buy from online-only retailers for anything like frames or wheels.

At least you had the support of your LBS, but imagine trying to deal directly with the manufacturer.

You wouldn't have to though. If you bought from a retailer, you deal with the retailer be that online or physical shop based. If you didn't buy from Cube directly, you don't deal with them directly!

Chuck replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

I'm not convinced a bricks and mortar retailer is necessarily going to be any better than an online one when it comes to warranty stuff. Plenty of tales of woe on forums for both.

Latest Comments