Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

how many of us still riding Triples?

My trek pilot 2.1 came as a 105 triple and I've just carried on with that, now on the standard hollowtech II tiagra triple that I transfered to the Cayo. I have ridden a double which works ok with the right cassette but I do like my hills. I'm wondering whether its with going to a double next time I change the crankset.
Any thoughts or wisdom welcomed thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

Matt eaton | 8 years ago
0 likes

I generally like my bikes without gears but when they are needed triples rule.

Standard doubles also have their place but compact doubles are not my cup of tea. They might look more 'pro' than a triple but that big jump between chainrings seems pretty inelegant to me (and my legs).

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Surprised nobody has quoted The Rules yet...

Rule #47 // Drink Tripels, don’t ride triples.

Personally, I don't care too much for the rules [prepares for the inquisition] but would say the first half of this one should be obeyed, the second part is up to you.  21

HowardR | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looking at the following:
12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26
12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30
Against a 48/44/XX - none of them work quite so well as the 44/42/28 (13-28)  102

Another thing you can't readily get any more is the 'straight through' block  20
One of my other 'favourite' gering set ups was a 44 X 13,14,15,16,17,18
which gives: 99.0~91.4~84.9~79.2~74.3~69.9~66.0
Simplicity & practicality  16

alexb | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a triple 50,40,30 running on a 10 speed set up with a 26t lowest sprocket. It's a pretty good set up, but I know there's a lot of duplicated ratios.

My commuter has an 8 speed hub gear and the range is fine, but the jumps would be hard work on something like an Audax.

I do wonder if the answer isn't a modern take on the half step plus granny.
Use a wide ration cassette and close ratio chainrings. I think somethin like 48,44t at the front would allow you to bridge the jumps in the rear sprocket with no overlapping gears.

Simon E replied to alexb | 8 years ago
0 likes
alexb wrote:

I do wonder if the answer isn't a modern take on the half step plus granny.
Use a wide ration cassette and close ratio chainrings. I think somethin like 48,44t at the front would allow you to bridge the jumps in the rear sprocket with no overlapping gears.

46/36 CX chainset, as I have been suggesting for some time.

With 11-32 a 10 speed (11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28-32). No yawning gaps there.

46x11 = 110"
36x32 = 30", which is the same lowest ratio as a triple's 30x25, though admittedly no match for the super-low gears discussed above, when a triple is usually the ideal solution.

I don't have a problem with overlapping gears, you select the chainring for the terrain and move up and down. Simples  3

HowardR | 8 years ago
0 likes

One of my all time favourite touring chainring/sprocket set ups (yes I do lead a sad & empty life to have such a thing) was back in the day's of 6 speed blocks. - The 'Half step & granny gear'

At the front was a 44/42/28
At the back: 13/15/17/20/24/28

Which gives:
91.4 ~79.2~69.9~59.4~49.5~42.4
87.2~75.6 ~66.7~56.7~47.3~40.5
58.2~50.4 4~4.5~37.8~31.5~27.0

You use the front mech as much as the rear, but as there's only 2 tooth jump between the big & middle ring it's a very smooth change.

I can't find any modern 'off-the-shelf' set up that gives me such a USEFUL range of ratios.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

My mountain setup is 50/34:::11-40 11speed  4

Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
0 likes

My Audax bike has a 53-42-30 Record triple fitted and usually a 13-29 cassette. I like this setup because I frequently just go and ride "somewhere" without a specific route and regularly find myself at the bottom of a wall.

I'm currently on holiday in Brittany and here its mostly rolling hills with the occasional steeper incline in or out of river valleys - I'm yet to use the granny.

At home in Scotland, the granny ring gets used frequently... Especially if I turn South as a 9 mile climb starts at my front door and offers no gentle warmup.

What's the main reason I ride a triple though? It's because I took advantage of all the retailers ditching Campag Record (alloy) triple kit for silly prices back in 2007/8 eg I have two chainsets that cost me 80 quid each. I put a full Record gruppo together for just over £500.

MrC | 8 years ago
0 likes

I found that on rolling terrain I was constantly swapping the front ring on a compact on rolling terrain. Ended being really annoying. I also didn't like the big jump either
I've got a triple on the old bike which was great. I rarely used the small ring on the front, but was bloody glad it was there when I did use it
As they don't seem to be supporting triples on 105 and above I went for a 46 36 CX on the new bike with an 11 28 on the back. Very happy with it so far. No big jumps front or back and far less changing on the front. If I'm doing anything really hilly I can stick a 12 32 on the back

Chris James | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know cadence is a personal thing, but 53/11 is a heck of a high gear to be using for any sustained period. It's 16% harder than the gear Bradley Wiggins used for the world hour record and about 20% harder than any gear used by Eddie Merckx in his entire career!

psling | 8 years ago
0 likes

I still run a triple on my light tourer but run good old 53/39 double on my road bike though.

Quote:

"Does anyone need 52/11 top gear, other than the likes of Cav?"

Well, I spend a reasonable part of my 35 minute commute into work at 53/11 and am glad of it. Unfortunately, I spend an unreasonable part of my 55 minute commute home in 39/25...

issacforce | 8 years ago
0 likes

how about considering the new 11 speed with 52/36chainring with either 11/28 or 11/32 thats my next upgrade, best of both worlds imo  103

Chris James replied to issacforce | 8 years ago
0 likes
issacforce wrote:

how about considering the new 11 speed with 52/36chainring with either 11/28 or 11/32 thats my next upgrade, best of both worlds imo  103

The same thought has occurred to me (i.e. 11 speed cassettes making triples redundant).

I am slightly put off by the fact that there is still a 16 tooth jump between chain rings and the dinner plate cassette probably ends up being the same overall weight as a triple!

Does anyone need 52/11 top gear, other than the likes of Cav? According to my calculations, even at a (low) cadence of 90 rpm then that is 34mph! I can sprint up to around 120 rpm, so theoretically 45mph.

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

like everything depends what you do and what you aspire to do - I run a triple MTB touring front 48 36 26 with STI's not a sweet enough gear change for riding in a chain gang but then I don't - but I do ride gravel roads up to 25% on a regular basis and will put panniers on for lightweight touring - if I had a road bike that I only rode on road and with riders that think 10% is steep then I'd be happy with a compact.
One of my good cycling buddies in same age group as me (pushing late 50's) rides alpine climbs with a compact and a 32 on the rear but definitely only treats the 32 as a bailout/forgot to eat option.

It does depend how much power you can put out and if you train - think that for a "club" rider with aspirations to ride fast and be aggressive on climbs then a double is what you want - if fairly new to riding and not a hard driven training type then for getting up hills a triple is what I'd suggest but fashion dictates otherwise and on challenge rides I find myself spinning past people pushing bikes on hills. Presumably their cycling mates and the store that sold them the bike didn't tell that could be the consequence of running the type of gear ratios that club riders run, a pity because I'm sure some of those riders have put in a big effort to do a long ride and may be put off cycling for good.

As to the weight of a triple I'm not that heavy but losing a couple of Kg's from the waistline would be more useful than worrying about that horrible looking extra ring.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

50+ > 95kg  4

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

When you say "double" do you mean a compact (e.g. 50/34)?

There are few models available with a triple chainset now, a compact will give you the same range if you fit a cassette with 28 or more teeth. One is not better than the other, it's down to personal preference.

I have a triple (50/39/30) with 12-25 cassette and it's mostly in the middle ring but I like having the 30t on there for the very odd occasion when I hit the steep stuff. I'm not sure I'd like the frequent hopping between 50 and 34 that happens with a compact on rolling terrain.

This chart shows 52/39/30 (solid lines) and compact 50/34 (dashed lines), both with 12-25 9sp cassette.

birzzles | 8 years ago
0 likes

30/27 on my triple. Use it a lot. Tried 50/34 11-32 with cannondale - seemed fine. Would accept it on a new bike in 11 speed. Depends who/where you are. I could save weight by going single 34t ring at front for the riding I do (almost seriously).

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

all very interesting wot

alotronic | 8 years ago
0 likes

Triples on a couple of my bikes -

Tourer - obviously has a triple
MTB - think my Anthem X was the last generation of bikes to come with a triple - ironically I don't need the triple on this as almost always ride in Epping Forest so will be change to a 28/40 double soon
Audax bike - has a close ratio triple (28/38/48 with 12-23 block) which gives me a full spread of very close gears which I very much like.
Carbon Racer - 39/53 with 12-25 good for any ride in Sth England up to around 6 hours, but over that will take the audax bike.

So yes, still a place for triples though finding a nice looking one these days can be tricky (or expensive) and soon it looks like you will have to buy tiagra. Yuk. I would love it if Campy reissued their sport/race triple sets, would go down that route like a shot as they look terrific on a classic bike...

rjfrussell replied to alotronic | 8 years ago
0 likes
alotronic wrote:

Audax bike - has a close ratio triple (28/38/48 with 12-23 block) which gives me a full spread of very close gears which I very much like.

That sounds pretty sweet- who makes the kit?

alotronic replied to rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes
rjfrussell wrote:
alotronic wrote:

That sounds pretty sweet- who makes the kit?

Well there's the thing, you either have to bling out on Middleburn (I don't) or go to Spa Cycles where they will sell you any number of old-school square-taper triples with TA rings for any combo you want (which I did). Shimano do a trekking crankset at 26/36/48 or 28/38/48 but they are from the MTB line so they are overkill for a road bike and look a little out of place. Also Velo Orange from Fresh tripe do some good looking setups if you like a bit of retro.

Danger Dicko | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I do.
It came on the bike I brought second hand.

I'm embarrassed by it.

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm in my late 60's and need my 30 x 30 to feel comfortable riding up anything more than 10%.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've still got a triple on my 520. It works, I like it, I never use the lower 2 rings, but it is nice to have the option.

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mines 9 spd triple 50 39 30 with 11-25 cassette. I use the granny ring most rides if its a usual hill day, however I cant remember the last time I used the cassettes 25t

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you are buying a whole new groupset, I'd change it to a double. I have a Caad 8 triple, but didn't want to spend crazy money when my chainrings wore out so just put on 105 triple chainset.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I'd say double....depending on your strength a compact or mid compact and 11-28...you can get up anything short of vertical with that

CXR94Di2 replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

Yeah I'd say double....depending on your strength a compact or mid compact and 11-28...you can get up anything short of vertical with that

I'd caveat that with, if you're a mountain goat ( light weight, youngish ) Majority of riders are not and will struggle with hills over with 7% or more, especially if longish in length. Just see how many riders will push or struggle/grind up the hills on the London Prudential. Triples are perfect if you can get one theses days.

I have been experimenting with different cassettes and even made a modified hanger to accommodate the new XTR 11-40 cassette onto my road bike. My mountain setup allows a 34-40 on a compact setup. This allows me to stay seated, spin at 70rpm and climb hills upto 45%  13

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I'd caveat that with, if you're a mountain goat ( light weight, youngish )

Well that might explain it  24 17 and <67kg

rjfrussell replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

With all due respect to 2 Wheeled Idiot, who is obviously immensely fitter than I am, mmmm.....

I think there is a lot of masochistic bollocks talked about gearing.

I am pretty fit, I like to think, and am in top 10% on the local climbs (in Kent/ Sussex) such as Toys/ Kidds Hill/ Ditchling Beacon on Strava- for whatever that is worth.

But I spin on a 50/34 & 11-32 set up. And I would not be happy with a lower gear higher than that 34-32 combination.

If you are basically an average guy- not some nailed on semi-pro- I would definitely go for the easiest gears you can- spinning is fast and easy, grinding is slow and hard (and hurts).

Pages

Latest Comments