Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Dilemma

Hi Everyone,

I'm a dilemma and could do with some expert advice.

I'm looking for my next bike and have narrowed it down to either the Boardman 9.2 or Cervelo S3.

Do any of you ride either of these? I'm a triathlete and a road cyclist, and can't really afford (and don't have enough space) for a TT bike and a road bike so wanted best of both worlds.

I know both of these bikes would benefit from deep set wheels too, so have been looking at the Mavic CXR 60 and the Zipp 60 ( again any opinions on either very much welcome too!)

Thanks for your time!

Danny

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

I rode the 2009 S3 for a year. It was a harsh ride for my taste, much stiffer than I wanted. It was fun to stomp up a hill on it, but a four hour ride would result in considerable numbness. The gear wires took a convoluted path and it was always a challenge to get good shifting performance. It looks like the newer models have somewhat better cabling but personally I would only run electric on it or you may be servicing it a lot.

Whether it would be right for you depends on you, the terrain and surface you ride on, the distances you aspire to. If you're doing distance riding then I would suggest getting a more comfortable bike. Being able to train comfortably is even more important than aerodynamics.

I haven't tried the Boardman.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

The cervelo r3 is more proven in the world tour and is picked over the s5 by many pros....
However the most important factor is fit, get whichever will fit you best and this will have a bigger improvement than the few watts of aerodynamic saving with either bike.
Getting new wheels is a more complicated subject, to save a bit of money you could look for a second hand pair of zipps or heds, or maybe a pair of farsports wheels-cheap, aero, light and strong too. (I wouldn't go for either of the two that you've mentioned but it is kinda personal preference)
Also a nice pair of tyres would be worth splashing out for-these can have a huge difference to ride feel and speed.

Latest Comments