Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Worn Chainring

Hey, I'm a beginner commuter cyclist and bought a triban 500 SE after Christmas and have been riding about 20 miles a day since then, the biggest chainring (I think it's Shimano Claris 50T) has become worn since I mostly ride on that one and am looking to replace it.

I've looked around but can only find the full crankset for ~£50 but was expecting to pay maybe £10-£20 for just the chainring since the whole bike only cost ~£300 and can't seem to find anywhere selling the individual chainring.

Anyway, here's the question, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for the chainring or if I can just buy a similar chainring and use that, I'm new to all this so I have no idea what I'm doing.

TLDR; need new chainring to replace Shimano Claris 50T but can't find it online and don't know what will replace it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Haggisbasher | 9 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough just worn out inner chainring. you can get a shimano 105, 50T, 110bcd from rose bikes for pennies. Postage is a bitch though.

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Re: 50t on 130BCD, surely this product works?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-130-pcd-alize-outer-chainrings-50-53t/#tabCus...

I'm looking for the same thing on a new Ultegra Chainset (long story, want a triple but don't want a 53 tooth big ring) and as far as I can tell a 50 tooth would work fine, there's a lot of space between the bolts and the teeth.

(unless... is TA's 'PCD' a different measurement from everyone else's 'BCD'?)

DaSy replied to IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

You are absolutely right, shows what I know! I had not previously seen 50 t rings on the 130 bcd. Now I think of it, it will be the inner ring that that was the limiting factor. Thanks for the education.....

geekinthesticks | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought the same bike in November for use as a winter bike. My rear cassette was completely worn out after 1500 miles. However, front chain rings were OK. I replaced my cassette and chain. I can believe you wore out the rear cassette, but the front chain rings are made of better stuff.

Have a look at your rear cassette. If the teeth look like sharks teeth it's fscked. Each tooth should have a flat top.

Matt eaton replied to geekinthesticks | 9 years ago
0 likes
geekinthesticks wrote:

I bought the same bike in November for use as a winter bike. My rear cassette was completely worn out after 1500 miles. However, front chain rings were OK. I replaced my cassette and chain. I can believe you wore out the rear cassette, but the front chain rings are made of better stuff.

Have a look at your rear cassette. If the teeth look like sharks teeth it's fscked. Each tooth should have a flat top.

Disagree that chainrings are harder wearing. If anything they are generally made of materials more susceptible to wear. They wear more slowly due to the higher tooth count.

DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

@ Unistriker

Not wishing to labour the point, but the 50 t chain-ring as mentioned by the OP really will be a 110 BCD, as you cannot fit a 50 t ring onto the 130 BCD pattern as the diameter of the bolt pattern is too big, hence why they went to compact 110 BCD, to allow for smaller chain-rings.

The bike you link to doesn't have a Shimano Claris chain-set (which is what the OP said he had), so the 130 BCD on that one doesn't apply.

I just don't want the OP to waste money on the wrong thing.

bobbinogs | 9 years ago
0 likes

I with the doubters on this one. I have yet to wear out a chainring and do a fair few miles each year.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to bobbinogs | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bobbinogs wrote:

I with the doubters on this one. I have yet to wear out a chainring and do a fair few miles each year.

And FSA chainset will fix that for you. 2500 miles to the ring... If you're lucky.  3

Ailibo - take a close up of your chainset (chain off) so we can see what you mean.

mrmo replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:
Bobbinogs wrote:

And FSA chainset will fix that for you. 2500 miles to the ring... If you're lucky.  3

Ailibo - take a close up of your chainset (chain off) so we can see what you mean.

What do you do to get that sort of wear! I fitted a Campag Chorus Chainset in 2007, I think, average of 7k a year since I replaced the rings beginning last year as they were worn out. c35000miles.... could be more though! The Stronglight replacement is on 10k and still fine.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

What do you do to get that sort of wear! I fitted a Campag Chorus Chainset in 2007, I think, average of 7k a year since I replaced the rings beginning last year as they were worn out. c35000miles.... could be more though! The Stronglight replacement is on 10k and still fine.

Year round commuting through Glasgow is what I do. I'm on my second cycle to work bike, both of which have had FSA gossamer chainsets... And both of which have needed new big rings after not a lot of miles.

I've replaced one with a Stronglight and got 10x the mileage and it hardly looks worn... The next swap out will take place soon on bike number 2.

I have a Campag Record triple on my Audax bike that looks almost brand new after many thousands of miles. I also have a Centaur chainset on my 1988 Bianchi that is still pristine.

The issue is not what I'm doing. The issue is how shit FSA chainrings are.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Did you buy the bike second hand? Why was the chain rusty?

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I still can't believe the ring is knackered after a few short months. Unless, of course, you operate hire bikes in a salt mine.
Before you spend any money can I suggest you find somewhere on the internet, maybe in an advert', a picture of the ring. Enlarge it and compare the shape of the teeth to your specimen. I would be shocked if there's much difference.
Much more likely is a worn chain, which may then skip on the ring. It's also conceivable that the cassette has a couple of worn sprockets, which could also cause the chain to jump about a bit.
Always start with the cheapest remedy.

Stef Marazzi | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Cannondale with a (supposed to be rubbish) FSA Vero triple chainset, have ridden it really hard for 4,800 miles and the chainset is still fine. Its probably just the paint worn off.

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Before you go out and buy a new chainring I'd suggest taking it off and flipping it over. You'd lose any special shifting pins or ramps but you effectively get fresh teeth. If it doesn't work out you haven't lost anything, just buy a new ring as planned.

DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

The link above to the Stronglight will not work for your chain-set, as yours is a 50t it will have the compact bolt pattern which is 110 bcd rather than the 130 bcd above. Also the Claris is an 8 speed chain-set, so a 10/11 speed ring will be somewhat too narrow, and allow a lot of chain movement, and spacing/offset will be wrong.

You can get a replacement ring for around £16 here....
http://www.freeborn.co.uk/shimano-fc-2450-chainring-50t-f-silver-for-cha...

Just look for a FC-2450 chainring online.

Edit to say that the above number refers to the double chain-set, if you have a triple you need to look for an FC-2403 chain-ring.

unistriker replied to DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

if this is the right bike its 130 bcd..

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

I use an 8 Speed set up ( claris Mech, Sram 8 Speed chain, Sram 8 speed Cassette 11- 30 and the stronglight 54 teeth chain ring, Shimano Triple Leavers from before claris even came out). Works fine.

I wouldnt compare it to an 10 / 11 set up / bike.. why would you? its an entry level set up. All year round rig. It shifts fine, You dont have to worry about rubbing on a mech or set up.

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

I doubt your chain ring is dead but if you need a new one you can get different sizes off ebay for your bike. Theres no special shifting edges.. Its just stragiht chain ring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stronglight-5-Arm-130mm-Alloy-Silver-Chainring...

You might even want to do what i did for my bike and remove the triple, buy a Single speed crankset, choose one chain ring and get a square taper bottom bracket that keeps your chain line straight. Simple if you only use on Ring up front.

ailibo replied to unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

That sounds like a good idea since I only really used one front gear anyway, any recommendations for the parts you used?

And to everyone else, I made a big rookie mistake by being lazy in the winter and used a fairly rusty chain which ruined the ring, I recently swapped to a new chain but it slips on that single gear, any other gear works fine since I never used them much.

unistriker replied to ailibo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use an 8 Speed set up. Shimano Triple Leavers, Claris Mech, Stronglight 54 tooth Chainring, sram 11-30 cassette and sram 8 speed chain. Changed the cranks to these below. Im short at 5 ft 4 so you might need longer cranks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Speed-Crankset-Chainset-All-Alloy-1-8-0...

You will want to go to a bike shop and get them to check the chain line and use the right length square taper bottom bracket to correct this. Otherwise you wont be able to use all the gears.

Im not even sure what mine is but it is shorter than stock.

All in all, total cost was about sub 70 quid. As you will have most of the parts anyway. (eg chain, mech, casette and leavers)

I love it, plus it has a cool retro look. Older days of BIG plates on the front. ALWAYS in the BIG ring.

DaveE128 replied to ailibo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ailibo wrote:

And to everyone else, I made a big rookie mistake by being lazy in the winter and used a fairly rusty chain which ruined the ring, I recently swapped to a new chain but it slips on that single gear, any other gear works fine since I never used them much.

Everyone seems to be ignoring this. Running a dirty, unlubricated chain will wear it very quickly and the fact that the OP said that fitting a new chain makes it skip on this ring means that OP is probably right, the chainring is excessively worn.

One word of warning - the cassette may also be worn and need replacing.

Next time, regularly clean and re-lube your chain. It will save you money in the long run. It's like failing to change the oil in a car engine, but perhaps even worse.

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Your chainring doesn't need replacing after around 1800 unless you ride on a beach or something.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If its just the anodization that has worn off, creating silver bits...the chainrings do not need replacement
I really doubt that they do need replacing tbh.

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

Even if it was Christmas 15 months ago, that would be incredibly fast chainring wear. Are you certain it needs replacing?  39

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do you mean this Christmas just gone?

Latest Comments