Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Can't seem to unclip from Ultegra pedals???

I can't unclip without twisting my leg right round on the easiest setting on teh pedal release allen bolt.

I dumped the pedals for XTR spds but now the weather is better time for proper road pedals.

What am I doing wrong?

I have duck feet- 10-2
Should I just reset the cleats or go for red zero float?

20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Zaskar | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just to update, I bought some Keo Max 2 and clipping out of them is easier than my spds!

(Just have to learn to clip into them faster when riding in a group.)

Zaskar | 14 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Are these the older spd-r models? If so I've had identical issues with my 105's and mine were heftily reduced so I wonder if this was a feature corrected in later models? I've got in the habit now of twisting my foot towards the frame and I'm now trained to do this when my foot is at 12 o clock so that don't foul the wheels.
Not much help I know but at least you're not alone!

Zaskar | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice-will try an adjustment to see if it is the cleats (I have some new ones somewhere).

The cleats are in good condition-it's been difficult to get out from day 1 but for long straights it's great.

I can clip out if moving my heels towards the frame-and end up smacking the seat tube  14 no problem but I really have to twist my leg to do it to the outside.

I have a new bike to build on Monday and I do not want to clip out hitting my carbon frame!

Just seems to be lots of float which is nice on the knees but sometimes you have to clip out suddenly etc.

I guess it will teach me to have full sram running gear and shimano pedals lol.

Will report back!  19

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

i find that when the SL cleats get worn you can sometimes spin them further in the pedal without them snapping out because there's more play. new cleats tend to fire out a bit sooner, though they take more effort to unclip

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Are the cleats in good condition?

Also are the cleat bolts nice and tight, as that can cause issues.

SPD-SL's are a lot more deliberate in their action than SPD's and do require a bigger effort to unclip though.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

definitely worth a try at re-setting the cleats first

Latest Comments