Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best bottle cage for newer style Camelbak Podiums? Needs to be pave proof!

I'm off to Flanders for the first time in a few weeks and I'd like to hold on to my bottles if possible.

My Elite cages do a terrible job of holding onto my newer style Podium bottles, has anyone got any recommendations for cages that work well with these bottles? I want something where you can still get the bottle out reasonably easily if possible as I'm bad about hydrating well enough at the best of times!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

There is a gentleman in America who has decided to start making the excellent Ringle H2O design, but he reckons better.

https://www.sellutionmtb.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MC-RNG1&Cart...

And he's on Ebay too.  Seperate hardware, but he does Ti.  

Purple sold out of course.

It holds the bottle in a tube, with no pokey in bit at the top, 

For me this was the greatest mountain bike cage ever made, never lost a bottle no matter how rough the terrain.  Only thing about them was the Ali destroyed itself, but hopefully he's solved that a bit.

Started buying them on ebay when you could get them for a fiver, the price kept going up so had to stop.

I will be buying a few of these.

Gasman Jim | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bomtrager RL cages (the cheap non-carbon ones) work well with Camelbak Podium bottles both old and newer designs.

Scheißenberg | 6 years ago
0 likes

Resurrecting this thread as I've been having trouble with my Camelbak Podium bottles coming out of Elite custom race cages.
They're both only a month old.
Really tight for the first couple of weeks but now find that the bottles get pushed out on bumpy roads.
I'm having to push them back in every 10 seconds.
Put on some Specialized Ribcage instead and problem solved!
Bottles don't move even on the roughest roads.

Chris Hayes replied to Scheißenberg | 6 years ago
0 likes

Resurrecting this thread as I've been having trouble with my Camelbak Podium bottles coming out of Elite custom race cages.....

King stainless if you can stretch to them or just plain bendable steel ones otherwise.... Flanders and Paris Roubaix are littered with water bottles from fancy, over-complicated bottle holders on equally fancy bikes... 

SimonS | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just looking for some cages for my new bike and was on the verge of hitting buy on some Elites...

I've used Specialized rib-cages for years without losing a bottle (including Flanders, though the bolts did rattle loose on the first section of Pave. ) 

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Arundel Mandibles.  Come in both carbon & stainless steel and both are tight like a well done up vice.  They don't tend to "stretch" over time and mine are still as tight now as they were 3 years ago.  Thorougly recommended.

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll have a look at those different options.

I also quite like the look of the Elite Pria Pave cages that are adjustable that were mentioned originally.

21xtreme | 7 years ago
0 likes

i use Topeak Modula Cage EX

as they are adjustable to fit most types of bottles

i use Camelbak podium Big chill bottles and they stay firm in the cages 

Woldsman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the Podium Chill type bottle that I *think* is the new version. I have used the cheap Blackburn Competition cages without any problems. 

wombat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Also using these bottles with Tacx Tao cages. Reeeeally tight fit. I don't always push them in fully to make sure I can get them out easily..

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use these podiums. Have stacks of them here. I use the Tacx Tao cages. Very grippy because they're a tad tight. Pros were using them on the cobbles in 2015 which tipped me off. 

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP. I have 2 Camelbak Podium 750ml bottles & they are constantly working their way loose so much so I end up pushing them down literally 10 mins. The 500ml bottles are slightly better but if I'm on a long ride 2 of them aren't enough.

I have Elite Custom Race cages & the Camelbak bottles were a really tight fit at 1st but now after a year they hardly hold them in.

Anyone with similar experience or got a solution as it's driving me mad!!!

cdean replied to ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but I'm having exactly the same issue as the OP. I have 2 Camelbak Podium 750ml bottles & they are constantly working their way loose so much so I end up pushing them down literally 10 mins. The 500ml bottles are slightly better but if I'm on a long ride 2 of them aren't enough.

I have Elite Custom Race cages & the Camelbak bottles were a really tight fit at 1st but now after a year they hardly hold them in.

Anyone with similar experience or got a solution as it's driving me mad!!!

I just use the bog-standard aluminium Tortec ones that you can get for £2 from Evans and whilst I've never tested them on a long stretch of cobbles, I've been over plenty of bumpy rural roads and potholes (28mm tyres) and I've never had a problem with one of those Camelbak podium bottles working their way loose. I reckon you could probably squeeze them a bit tighter if you wanted too.

Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

Arundel Mandibles are the only answer here. Held my Camelbaks during Flanders a few years ago and they did the same for my mate on the same ride with his. Come in carbon or stainless steel & both are as tight as each other.

middlering | 9 years ago
0 likes

While on flanders, the order of things sprayed around the course, by frequency:

1. Walking riders
2. Gel wrappers
3. Cobbles
4. Bidons
5. Saddle bags
6. Waffle packs

On 5th, please make sure you have one with >1 anchor points - saddle and seatpost? Also, make sure the saddle connection is tight.

On 6th, please carry as many of as you can back. I'll gratefully accept them in exchange for this advice.

Cheers!

middlering | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use standard brand - evans, specialized, etc - metal cages for Flanders.

I've used the camelbak podiums, both regular and the insulated variety, in Flanders last 3 years without an issue. I don't know how different is the shape of the _new_ Podium bottle from the old, but from your picture it looks a lot similar to my insulated Podium bottle.

The advantage of a metal cage is simple - you can press it to tighten it as hard as you want.

jamtartman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Elite Cannibal working just fine for me on my MTB. I bought it cos the colour matched my bike  29 but is working just fine with the podium.

Yorkshie Whippet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Planet X carbon cages and Specialized bottles survived four attacks of pave.

I have found that not all bottle/cage combos work. Some bottles sit proud with the lip of the cage not in the neck of the bottle. If you must use the Podiums, take an oldish one to several bike shops and try them out. And get the best fit.

arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use Elite Ciussi and they are fine with both Podium and Podium Chill bottles.

This might be a daft question but why do you have to use the podiums. Would a cheap pair of bidons not be better? You may well lose one or two no matter what cage you have.

tom_w replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

This might be a daft question but why do you have to use the podiums. Would a cheap pair of bidons not be better? You may well lose one or two no matter what cage you have.

That is some good lateral thinking, definitely a good back up plan. The Elite custom's aren't holding the bottles in the UK either though, so I need to sort it.

tom_w replied to arrieredupeleton | 9 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

That is some good lateral thinking, definitely a good back up plan. The Elite custom's aren't holding the bottles in the UK either though, so I need to sort it.

turboprannet | 9 years ago
0 likes

As you've asked for clarification yes I use the Planet X metal ones with Podium bottles and the only time I lose bottles is when I'm being clumsy and drop them myself

Gasman Jim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bontrager RL works well with the new camelbak bottles. Lots of colours available. Around £10 from Evans.

Spiny replied to Gasman Jim | 7 years ago
0 likes

Gasman Jim wrote:

Bontrager RL works well with the new camelbak bottles. Lots of colours available. Around £10 from Evans.

+1 for these. Seem to hold very well around lumpy cotswold lanes.

tom_w | 9 years ago
0 likes

PS: Thanks for all the replies so far. It would be really helpful if people could mention whether they've used the cage they are recommending with the new style podium (the one pictured) as some people have, just so I know if it's a general or specific recommendation. Ta  1

fukawitribe replied to tom_w | 9 years ago
0 likes
tom_w wrote:

PS: Thanks for all the replies so far. It would be really helpful if people could mention whether they've used the cage they are recommending with the new style podium (the one pictured) as some people have, just so I know if it's a general or specific recommendation. Ta  1

Apologies - meant to include that. The Elite Pria Pave haven't been tested with the new Camel bottles although one would hope they would be a decent bet due to the ability to crank them down on any bottle (but you never know...).

turboprannet | 9 years ago
0 likes

I used some cheap planet x metal ones and bent them to be extra tight. Got round Flanders without losing a bottle.

fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes

FWIW i've been using the Elite Pria Pave cages for about a year now - BOA-esque adjustment, very snug.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/water-bottle-cag...

DaveE128 | 9 years ago
1 like

Strange - I've found my Elite Custom Race cages work really nicely with my Camelback Podium. Much better retention and ease of use than any other combo I've used.

Which Elite cage are you using currently?

tom_w replied to DaveE128 | 9 years ago
0 likes
DaveE128 wrote:

Strange - I've found my Elite Custom Race cages work really nicely with my Camelback Podium. Much better retention and ease of use than any other combo I've used.

Which Elite cage are you using currently?

I'm using the same ones, although they are matt black so have a bit of a funny coating. They were fine with the original podiums, but they aren't great with the new ones, the bottles regularly start working their way up. I think it's actually because the sides of the bottle aren't actually parallel on the lower half, they are ever so slightly conical (for want of a better description)

Pages

Latest Comments