Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Right to be cynical about Sky

Mail on Sunday today has gone big on the TVM scandal of late 1990's and Sky's current sports director's involvement in it, the evidence seems clear. So why is Brailsford denying it ?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/reuters/2015/03/08/sports/cycling/08reuters-cy...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

183 comments

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Because EPO puts a different slant on it ? This was not a BP violation it was EPO use and there was a cover up.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have people been following the developments over night ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33517897

Basically Froome's data on Mont Ventoux has been leaked (sky claim hacked, the irony !!) that shows what he did in 2013 when he stormed away from Contador.

Sky have not denied the data is true and it shows that Froome's HR went actually down on the major attack when he went up to 1000W. A video was produced matching this data to the actual video of the climb. Sky not only took this down from Youtube but got the original poster on twitter banned.

This data matches what Dr Ferrari was calculating for what Froome did.

Now you can look at this data and only conclude that Froome is some kind of super human and of course since lost a vast amount of weight with it seems no power loss.

If he does not claim the record on D'Huez it will be a shock on these figures !

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Would this be the same Froome that was tested after every stage that he held the yellow jersey? And the same Froome that has never failed a drug test?

Just checking.

(Now waiting for the comments regarding the 'missed' drugs test must be a sign of guilt).

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

come on you must know the 'never failed a drugs test' line is barmy ...

Marion Jones is one name that springs to mind
Lance Armstrong and his TUE

etc.

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

We need to stop living in the past. There is nothing wrong with remembering what has happened in history, otherwise we will never learn. But we can't tarnish the current generation for what their predecessors did.

The sport of cycling needs to heal but it never will with the constant scab picking that some of the media and so called fans insist on doing. It is quite right that we seek to squeeze known cheats out from the sport, Astana & Vino are a case in point, so focus your energy on them. But the almost constant witch hunt for certain riders and teams that have never failed any sort of testing needs to stop.

It is as damaging to the sport to keep accusing innocent parties of cheating as it is actually having cheats in the game.

I'm no fanboy before that gets thrown at me. I like Team Sky and the way they brought the marginal gains thought process in to cycling. They have certainly created a more professional environment, and one that is now being copied by other teams. You will also find me cheering on other teams or riders that embrace the good things about cycling and a sport that can be such a joy to be part of.

Stop the hating or go find another sport.

daddyELVIS | 8 years ago
0 likes

Answer to original question - 'Yes'

I've mentioned Knaven many times as just one (of many) examples of Sky doing the opposite of their stated anti-doping policies!

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Why are you guys even watching this?  35

issacforce | 8 years ago
0 likes

so many cynics, cmon team sky, if u dont like it dont watch it, plus it was the mail on sunday, that did the story, the paper that hates cyclists

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Newspaper articles are full of maybe this and maybe that with an odd fact dropped in to give it credibility. Just because someone may have had a dodgy past doesn't mean that everyone they come in contact with becomes tainted with their reputation.

The issue about being a conspiracy theorist is that anything can be twisted to accommodate the one dimensional thinking that typifies these people.

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Guilty by association is a minefield to say the least. Being in the same place at the same time as an alleged offence does not make you guilty and would not standup in any judicial procedures.

I appreciate that effective EPO testing was not in place until 2000. So that does open up those riding before this time as rumour targets.

Legally, and let's not forget that this is a legal process, there is no evidence that indicates that Knaven doped during his career. There is also no evidence that Froome or any other Sky rider is doping at this current time.

Therefore the rumours are just that. Career damaging, cycling damaging, unfounded rumours.

Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The issue about being a conspiracy theorist is that anything can be twisted to accommodate the one dimensional thinking that typifies these people.

The problem with conspiracy theorists - is that its like a religion. The conclusion is reached first, and then 'logic' is applied (n matter how warped) to fit the conclusion, and if you try to question logic or conclusion you are clearly a sinner and in cohorts with the evil people perpetrating the conspiracy.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

No one is disputing that in earlier years that alot of riders were using PEDS, but now you're assuming and it's a big assumption that in this current time where alot of teams are being more open about testing for drugs.

Do you really think any team would expose themselves given how lance Armstrong has been through the mincer, his reputation and financial position destroyed?

Do you believe that this knave fella is going around behind Brailsford back doping all the team, or do you believe Brailsford is part of the doping sanction?

Do you think the top riders would risk absolutely everything only to have it all taken away later?

There will always be someone who will take PEDS but these are now few a far between. Like Cavendish said to a journalist after being asked about drugs "how do you know some journalist in this room isn't fu#king your wife when you're at work"

You don't!

Stop harping on about something that you cannot prove yourself. If you come up with EVIDENCE to the contrary and are willing to stand by it and possibly lose all your money, house, wife and family in a court case of libel, then I will listen to it. But you will be berated constantly until you stop spreading rumours

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

This thread's been going a while!

@Ianrobo (and others) there's a difference between being a realist and cynical (fine by me), and touting unfounded accusations (not so fine)

Remain cynical, sure, that's your right, but until there is proof of guilt people really shouldn't accuse team Sky, or others, of doping.

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers CXR94Di2, another voice of reason here.

Working on the logic of some i have been a gun toting, alcoholic criminal. I grew up a in quite a rough area of town. Many of my school time peers were involved with criminal activities. Some have been convicted of gun crimes and substance abuse. I have never been down that road, but obviously because i knew them, grew up with them, went to school with them and lived around them i must be guilty. Send me to the gallows!

Back to the OP. The basic premise that Sky can't be trusted and their performances must be due to doping.

I say again. There is no proof during this time of increased testing that any riders are on the juice. Time to put it to bed as it is boring now.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Put up your evidence in written form,

I'll send a link to sky cycling asking them to review these comments and see if they feel they are libellous.

I can assure you having a high court writ served against you is not a pleasant experience. Defending your self, even when you're innocent is very stressful.

daddyELVIS | 8 years ago
0 likes

Check the actual TVM trial - then explain how you conclude Knaven didn't dope!

alansmurphy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I grew up in the 70's, does this mean I was touched by members of the BBC?

The post hoc ergo propter hoc on here is laughable - I assume that simply by winning a race you are now a cheat?

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

Doping will never fix Chris Froome looking awful on a bike.

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Funny how quiet this thread went after Sky failed to win a Monument.

Simon_MacMichael replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Because EPO puts a different slant on it ? This was not a BP violation it was EPO use and there was a cover up.

If you read the full decision it's crystal clear it was an ABP violation, and the conclusion was that the value were consistent with EPO use.

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6605

Moreover, the period when the suspicious values were recorded was before JTL joined Sky.

My best guess is that because the UKAD database doesn't have a field for ABP (look at the substance search dropdown box on the left of the violations page), whoever keyed in the data used the closest field available - EPO.

The face he was sanctioned isn't really indicative of a "cover-up."

If there was a cover-up, why did he get sanctioned?

If he'd tested positive for EPO - which is what you seem to be claiming - it would have been much easier to establish that as grounds for the sanction, rather than the ABP which as we've seen, including in this case, often results in a lengthy and costly legal battle.

It's healthy to be sceptical, but looking for a conspiracy where in all likelihood none exists helps no-one.

fukawitribe replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Have people been following the developments over night ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33517897

Basically Froome's data on Mont Ventoux has been leaked (sky claim hacked, the irony !!) that shows what he did in 2013 when he stormed away from Contador.

Sky have not denied the data is true and it shows that Froome's HR went actually down on the major attack when he went up to 1000W. A video was produced matching this data to the actual video of the climb. Sky not only took this down from Youtube but got the original poster on twitter banned.

This data matches what Dr Ferrari was calculating for what Froome did.

Now you can look at this data and only conclude that Froome is some kind of super human and of course since lost a vast amount of weight with it seems no power loss.

If he does not claim the record on D'Huez it will be a shock on these figures !

Leaked not hacked. Data matches Dr Ferrari calculations. Heart rate dip (HR lag actually) Super-human - vast amount - no power loss... woooooo, spooky.

Why don't we wait a few days until l'Equipe do another analysis and say it's all normal again ? Or not. I'd go for an analysis from someone with a possible lack of impartiality, but with a clue, like Fred Grappe over Joe Youtube.

Stumps replied to Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Why are you guys even watching this?  35

They probably don't. They just look at the headlines and make it up as they go along so it fits just nice and cosy in their little heads.

daddyELVIS replied to issacforce | 8 years ago
0 likes
issacforce wrote:

so many cynics, cmon team sky, if u dont like it dont watch it, plus it was the mail on sunday, that did the story, the paper that hates cyclists

1) there's more to pro cycling than Team Sky and the Tour, so why wouldn't we watch?

2) it's not a 'story' - it's true, like many other instances where Sky have failed their OWN test of being clean!

daddyELVIS replied to Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes
Martyn_K wrote:

there is no evidence that indicates that Knaven doped during his career.

...you might want to look into the case further, then see if your opinion stays the same.

ianrobo replied to Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes
Must be Mad wrote:
Quote:

The problem with conspiracy theorists - is that its like a religion. The conclusion is reached first, and then 'logic' is applied (n matter how warped) to fit the conclusion, and if you try to question logic or conclusion you are clearly a sinner and in cohorts with the evil people perpetrating the conspiracy.

rubbish no one is a conspiracy theorist here but a realist on that era. As I just typed and ask yourself do you believe that in an era when teams en masse were doping that Knaven was one of the very few who did not ?

In this case this is not civil law, I take it that everyone in that era was a doper.

ianrobo replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Remain cynical, sure, that's your right, but until there is proof of guilt people really shouldn't accuse team Sky, or others, of doping.

This is about Knaven as a rider in the late 90's and his position now. Rims was kicked out for being a doper (finally), Vino is ridiculed as a DS, a certain ex Lance DS is desperate to be back in and can not, why not Knaven ?

do you believe he was clean ?

As for now the title of this thread says it all

CXR94Di2 replied to daddyELVIS | 8 years ago
0 likes
daddyELVIS wrote:

Check the actual TVM trial - then explain how you conclude Knaven didn't dope!

I dont have to explain/conclude, there is no evidence that has come to light indicating prior actions have a bearing on sky's actions currently. Some are trying link actions of 1990s to chris froome performance and coming up with perilously close to accusations of doping and a slur on his good name/character. Beware

fukawitribe replied to alansmurphy | 8 years ago
0 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

I grew up in the 70's, does this mean I was touched by members of the BBC?

The post hoc ergo propter hoc on here is laughable - I assume that simply by winning a race you are now a cheat?

Actually, according to a couple on here at least, yes... or indeed anyone in the top 20%. The mind boggles....

Simon E replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Put up your evidence in written form,

I'll send a link to sky cycling asking them to review these comments and see if they feel they are libellous.

There is no evidence, he's just grinding an axe in public. It's a bit pathetic really, I wouldn't waste time feeding the troll.

ianrobo replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Why don't we wait a few days until l'Equipe do another analysis and say it's all normal again ? Or not. I'd go for an analysis from someone with a possible lack of impartiality, but with a clue, like Fred Grappe over Joe Youtube.

Whis is exactly why all data for every rider should be released and I think the UCI should have an independent figure looking at it and concluding from it.

You can do that for Gesnick, Dowsett, Adam Yates etc now if you take their data from Strava for example.

None of the main GC contenders do it from what I can see, Pinot is on Strava but no power.

Pages

Latest Comments