Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How big a back cog with Campag 11 speed Chorus?

I have a Campag 11 speed groupset with a 12-29 at the back. I've got the Maratona to do this year and was wondering if any one has any experience of fitting a 30 or even a 32. Do you have to change the rear derailer?
I've been told by the LBS that it can't be done but have found internet chatter to say it can. Anyone actually done it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

11speedaddict | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not that this answers the original post but isn't it great now after all these years that with the introduction of shimano 11speed , campag and shimano & sram wheels / cassettes are compatible. I have shimano and campag wheels and drivetrains and they all work perfectly with each other. The main bonus is you can use cheaper shimano cassettes as the cheapest campag is chorus which is £50 more than an ultegra 11 speed.

Guernsey Donkey | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you are very careful with the chain length then you can get an 11-32 on the back.

2015 Chorus RD with a shimano Ultegra 11-32 on a Mavic wheel.

50-32
//i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/jodel_bucket/63DD0EE3-F484-4C3A-945F-2FF097B234F3_zpsg4vh4qtn.jpg)

34-11
//i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/jodel_bucket/CDDDA06C-DA00-4C98-9021-7C366B3D9742_zpscesaqwu2.jpg)

It looks worse than it is but the chain is about 5mm clear of the upper jockey wheel and when are you ever going to run small/small?

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm running a 28 tooth as the biggest sprocket in the cassette on the Bianchi. The short cage set up will just about take a 30 tooth, but I wouldn't fancy it. Anything bigger will need a long cage rear mech.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Manual says no, but You could probably squeeze it, biggest issue is the ratio of large to small and how much chain wrap the short cage can take or you end up with a slack chain.

It's worth a try, even if yo can borrow a shimano wheel with the same cogs and see if can shift up and down the limits OK.

Latest Comments