Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Why is this site so slow?

There doesn't appear anywhere to put site feedback so I have posted here.
The site seems to be getting slower and slower, far slower than any other comparable site I use. Pretty sure it's not my end so was wondering what the issue is?
It is beginning to get frustrating

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not slow, I posted this yesterday!

harman_mogul | 9 years ago
0 likes

Posting to forum still slow this morning.

hsiaolc | 9 years ago
0 likes

WOW and all these time I suspected my internet provider is doing something to slow me down.

Well now I know its not just me. Please if you have these kind of problems in the future posted it on your front page so we know and not wait for ages to load. We can always come back another time!

CStar | 9 years ago
0 likes

Still horrible tonight.

LinusLarrabee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I could be wrong, but I suspect that something being loaded in the head section of the code is delaying the page rendering - most likely some poorly written advertising or analytics. Pages download almost instantly when I'm pulling down just the html for my feed reader to parse.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

miles better this morning

fukawitribe replied to ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

miles better this morning

Aye, much faster. For as long as I can remember it's been in the order of 10-15s per page refresh when logged in, it's seems in the 1-3s range today. Not snappy but eminently usable. Huzzah whoever has tweaked that.

edster99 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's been terrible since yesterday morning. I'm glad its not just me.

levermonkey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried feeding the hamster?

Have now taken to opening road.cc in a separate window and dipping in & out. Serious 'new Brookes saddle' levels of pain if trying to access on a mobile device though.

admin | 9 years ago
0 likes

in the meantime, like others have said, logging out speeds things up considerably but obviously you can't comment then.

admin | 9 years ago
0 likes

yup, we're still having problems and we're working to resolve them. i'll update this thread with any progress.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes its all pages the forum is very slow and hitting the back button takes an age

atgni | 9 years ago
0 likes

54Mbps download speed and still 5 mins to load the site!

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It has taken me over 3 hours just to get on the forum  102

sean1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

road.cc has been very slow to access for a few days now. From multiple clients. Seems to take a long time to find the road.cc home page, sometimes even times out.

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes it has been slow, also I don't know if you run 2 or more servers but I've notice replication issues with user post when viewing on my mac then 10 min later on my phone, same story but comments are missing. But I'm not logged in on my phone so it might be that.

Kadinkski | 9 years ago
0 likes

On the plus side, I've practically given up visiting this site over the last few days - as a result my work productivity has massively increased.

FullGas | 9 years ago
0 likes

Please install Varnish on the server.

admin replied to FullGas | 9 years ago
0 likes
FullGas wrote:

it's not a caching problem and the cached pages (for non-logged-in) users are okay, it's a database issue

FullGas replied to admin | 9 years ago
0 likes
roadcc_admin wrote:
FullGas wrote:

it's not a caching problem and the cached pages (for non-logged-in) users are okay, it's a database issue

Sorry to hear that, I hoped a little magic would take care of it. Now it's a matter of figuring out which queries are hogging up the server and creating some in indexes. EXPLAIN FTW!

admin replied to FullGas | 9 years ago
0 likes
FullGas wrote:
roadcc_admin wrote:
FullGas wrote:

Sorry to hear that, I hoped a little magic would take care of it. Now it's a matter of figuring out which queries are hogging up the server and creating some in indexes. EXPLAIN FTW!

yeah, if only it were that simple  3

brooksby | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a ZTE Kis (admittedly, a barely-smartphone), but I find that out of the blogs and news sites I look at, road.cc makes the browser on it crash about half the time. I have to wait while it loads up every single ad and image, and then make sure no other images have loaded, then cross my fingers to start actually reading/scrolling down the page.

Admins - do you have or are you considering a mobile-friendly version of road.cc?

LarryDavidJr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can confirm. Logged out and all is good. Log back in .... slow as a dog.

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Here are some reasons:

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/road.cc/THZIYvZA

The site coding and hosting setup is significantly lacking in 'stuff' that speeds things up...

Looking at the waterfall chart, some obvious fixes, like speeding up the connection to the /buynow/ image directory and the /theme/ images...

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What annoys me more is the way the text gets chopped off down one side of column. Then on odd occasion it's fine, what is that all about. I have tried several browser s. They all do it. It works fine on my laptop. But most of my browsing is on my mobile phone, Note 3

CapriciousZephyr replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

What annoys me more is the way the text gets chopped off down one side of column. Then on odd occasion it's fine, what is that all about. I have tried several browser s. They all do it. It works fine on my laptop. But most of my browsing is on my mobile phone, Note 3

It's not just you - exactly the same thing happens to me on my Note 3. I find it so annoying I rarely bother looking at this site from my phone now. I do wish that could be fixed, as I haven't noticed anything similar on any other site I've visited.

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

nowt to do with FC, that's on an entirely different server. we are having some issues though, which we're working through at the moment

Alan Tullett | 9 years ago
0 likes

Does seem slower than normal. Maybe because fantasy cycling has just started!

Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hmmmm… might not just be the Home Page, that last post took forever to load  2

fukawitribe replied to Mombee | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mombee wrote:

Hmmmm… might not just be the Home Page, that last post took forever to load  2

The historical slowness has been on every page (as far I can tell) although that's not to say it's not got worse recently

Pages

Latest Comments