Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The merits of SPD SL's over SPD's

I'm thinking of getting some new shoes as my current shoes are showing their age. But what to get? Do I stay with my SPD' s or go with "proper" road pedals, my son has given me some Look road pedal so it's only the shoes I need to think about.

So the question I have is what advantage do 3 holed cleats have over their 2 holed brothers? (Apart from the obvious ministry of silly walks).

Cheers for your forth coming help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

54 comments

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

On the balance of all the comments so far I think I'll stick to my current SPD' s and bug New shoes accordingly. Thanks for all your comments.

SR2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The two schools of thought here are bringing up interesting points. From what I gather it seems SPDs at first seem to be good for introducing yourself to clipless pedals and then once you've racked up enough miles and comfortable with them, SPD SLs apparently are the next best step... I've been considering getting a pair of clipless pedals so maybe the SPDs seem good for starters?

The Rake replied to SR2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
SR2 wrote:

The two schools of thought here are bringing up interesting points. From what I gather it seems SPDs at first seem to be good for introducing yourself to clipless pedals and then once you've racked up enough miles and comfortable with them, SPD SLs apparently are the next best step... I've been considering getting a pair of clipless pedals so maybe the SPDs seem good for starters?

That's exactly what I did

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm using SPD-SLs on both of my road bikes and am perfectly happy with that system. I use them for commuting too and have absolutely no problems with both clipping in and out in that stop/start environment, or walking in them when I reach the office. Mooching around a mid-ride cafe is absolutely no issue whatsoever.

Only concern I do have is the durability of the cleats themselves. Having been using the setup for barely more than a year, I'm now on my 3rd set of cleats. That is admittedly through daily use but, even at £11.99 a set from Decathlon, the cost is started to add up. For that reason I may think about a standard SPD setup on the bike I mostly use for commuting and leave the SLs on the weekend bike.

macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes

Loved SPDs and still have a pair on my town bike - the Shimano XT 780 Race pedals are awesome (and the bearing seals on them last longer than the XTRs) - very light and despite being double sided they would still do better at cornering than a single sided SPD-SL because of the reduced width of them.
With a stiff carbon sole I've never felt any hot spots (a cheaper prior pair of shoes did have that problem). I also could pull "up" quite happily in them if I wanted to without ever having a release. Basically I think they probably suit 85% of people wanting a pedal for daily use
And they release beautifully all the time... unlike the Ultegra SPD-SLs I bought which required so much effort to release on the minimum setting I lasted 3 weeks with them.
I had wanted a lighter, sleeker shoe for club rides but more importantly an inherently designed float in the cleat (SPDs do float but only against the spring) as I had noticed minor knee problems when on big mountain climbs. Hence I switched to SPD-SLs and hated the release (although I understand if you drop down to 105s the pedal is a lot easier to release) and single sided entry. So in the end I switched to Speedplay for my weekend bike and haven't looked back - all the benefits of the SPD (easy release, narrow width, double sided for easy entry) plus no more knee issues thanks to the free float

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use both. SPD-SL on the road, SPD on the MTB and CX. I think the SPD-SLs are better for fit and stability. I think I could pull my foot out of the SPDs just by pulling up.

The connection with the bike on the SPD SL is so far superior as binding with SPD you shoe always has quite a bit of float.

DaveE128 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had used SPDs for many years, having done a lot of mountain biking. Last year I tried SPD-SLs because of the claimed advantages.

I have to say that I think they're rubbish. If you have to stop (at a junction, wait for a slower friend, etc) and put your foot down in any sandy dirt (eg as found all over the roads in the New Forest at times), it seems to kill the plastic cleats instantly and they'll never work again no matter how much you try to clean them.

I binned them and went back to SPDs. Haven't regretted it at all.

I've never had any trouble with "hot spots" and suspect these are just caused by shoes with insufficiently stiff soles.

SPDs are much easier to clip in and out of, and I just don't buy the arguments above that you can pull up or pull back better with road pedals. Seriously, there is no noticeable difference in the float from the yellow SPD-SL cleats. Maybe if you have very worn SPD cleats you might find some mildly irritating front/back play, but they last for years. I can't see any other issue that could affect the ability to apply power through more of the stroke.

fukawitribe replied to DaveE128 | 9 years ago
0 likes
DaveE128 wrote:

If you have to stop (at a junction, wait for a slower friend, etc) and put your foot down in any sandy dirt (eg as found all over the roads in the New Forest at times), it seems to kill the plastic cleats instantly and they'll never work again no matter how much you try to clean them.

There's a lot to be said for SPDs but this is, in general, nonsense.

DaveE128 replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
DaveE128 wrote:

If you have to stop (at a junction, wait for a slower friend, etc) and put your foot down in any sandy dirt (eg as found all over the roads in the New Forest at times), it seems to kill the plastic cleats instantly and they'll never work again no matter how much you try to clean them.

There's a lot to be said for SPDs but this is, in general, nonsense.

Well, it's been my experience. I couldn't clip in reliably after first contact with sandy dirt. By the end of the ride the cleats were toast.

Friends that use them have also had problems with very fast wear and corners snapping off.

I just don't think plastic cleats are a good idea when they have to handle contact with the ground. Saying "don't walk on them" just isn't realistic in my opinion. If it was possible to avoid putting feet on the floor we wouldn't need shoes that unclip from the pedals, would we?

big mick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Look type cleats are a pain to walk in but once on the bike they are the only way to go on road bikes.You do pull up more so when out of the saddle but when climbing at a lowish cadence I find myself pulling up to even out that dead power point at the 5 o'clock.This is possible with spd's but feels more SURE footed with spd sl's look type ped's  1

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

There are other options than SPD or spd-SL, just saying.

I run Time xpressos on the roadies - faster to clip in than SPDs on the cross bike.

Just need to gently push down and the pedal snatches the cleat. This system is much better for your knees if you are doing more mileage than SPDs - more float and adjustability. Also no hot spots which SPDs get and bigger platform.

fast as fupp | 9 years ago
0 likes

'off the bike' ?

do folk stop and go for a walk mid way through a ride?

johndonnelly replied to fast as fupp | 9 years ago
0 likes
fast as fupp wrote:

'off the bike' ?

do folk stop and go for a walk mid way through a ride?

Yes.

CX.
Café stop on the club ride.
Poking around the scenery on a tour.
Whole day in the office in the office sandwiched between commutes.

Lots of reasons to want something that works well on and off the bike.

wycombewheeler replied to johndonnelly | 9 years ago
0 likes
johndonnelly wrote:

Whole day in the office in the office sandwiched between commutes.

Lots of reasons to want something that works well on and off the bike.

I love spd shoes and am happy to walk in them, but I wouldn't wear them for the entire day off the bike.

muddydwarf | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ive been using SPD-SL's on my road bike for 14 months now, & I'm STILL struggling to find the correct position for the cleats in order to find the best position to click in Vs the right foot position.
It may be my feet, as I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome but I find the cleats to be incredibly sensitive to the slightest positional changes on the shoe, half a millimeter can mean the difference between clicking in or not. I find I have to 'screw' my cleats into the pedal if I am to have the correct foot position on the pedals once clicked in - if that makes sense.
Ive been using SPD's for well over a decade on the mtb's and commuter bikes so no problems there.

FullGas replied to muddydwarf | 9 years ago
0 likes
muddydwarf wrote:

Ive been using SPD-SL's on my road bike for 14 months now, & I'm STILL struggling to find the correct position for the cleats in order to find the best position to click in Vs the right foot position.
It may be my feet, as I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome but I find the cleats to be incredibly sensitive to the slightest positional changes on the shoe, half a millimeter can mean the difference between clicking in or not. I find I have to 'screw' my cleats into the pedal if I am to have the correct foot position on the pedals once clicked in - if that makes sense.
Ive been using SPD's for well over a decade on the mtb's and commuter bikes so no problems there.

Sounds like you might have setup your cleats on the wrong position. If they are further back than needed you can have problems clipping in. Take a look at this video from GCN and give it another try.

If you still have problems after that you could try a different set of pedals. I've heard wonders about the SpeedPlay and Time Xpresso pedals.

Stef Marazzi | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you want to do any sort of walking about during a ride, or will be commuting to work or the shops etc, then SPDs, because you can actually walk easily in them.
If you are only doing a small cafe stop, where you dont have to walk far at all, and don't mind shelling out £15-£20 quid now and again for cleats, then SPD-SLs, Look, Keo etc.

hsiaolc | 9 years ago
0 likes

I understand your dilemma. But let me help you.

I commute in London traffic and clipping in and out is something I do constantly and I am not the kind who likes to stay on my bike and trying to balance myself the entire length of the traffic lights.

I have tried both and after half a year of SPD SL I went back to SPDs because it is that safer to clip out (for me especially I have weak and injured ankles). Another thing is after the light it is so much quicker to clip in and even if you miss it you have no danger or slipping with SPDs compared to SPD SL.

This new year I have gone back to SPD SL only because of preparation for my new Rapha road shoes. But now I am not sure if I will use them for daily use probably use them for hmm group rides to show them off. Why? because the SPD SL cleat is not very hard wearing especially the little tiny rubber parts and they are a nightmare to walk on. Nearly slipped many times on marble flooring at work.

Which system is better? SPD SL definitely if you are racing but otherwise SPD is your system to go for normal daily commute.

Mystery Machine | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having learned to ride clipless with SPDs, I thought I should try SPD-SLs on my road bike. I never got on with the clipping in on the SLs. Partly this is because it is much easier clipping in to double-sided pedals, but this is not the only factor - I ride A530 single-sided SPDs on my commuting bike (for convenience re going to pub, and because I sometimes use a front-mounted childseat), and even these are much easier than the SPD-SLs, even though they are not double sided.

I was also really unimpressed with the wear on the plastic SPD-SL cleats. I made a real effort not to walk in them, and they still rapidly wore down such that I think I would have needed to replace them at least twice a year, and they're not cheap.

I agree with other posters that if your shoe sole is stiff enough, SPDs are fine. I have found that Louis Garneau has a good selection of proper road shoes that take two-bolt fittings (mine were from Evans). These have included carbon-soled versions and ones with BOA fittings. Otherwise, finding good road shoes with SPD fittings has been a bit challenging in my experience...

hallamhash | 9 years ago
0 likes

It all depends if you're going to be stopping at a pub on your rides. If so, then SPDs for the enhanced walkability.

PhilRuss replied to hallamhash | 9 years ago
0 likes
hallamhash wrote:

It all depends if you're going to be stopping at a pub on your rides. If so, then SPDs for the enhanced walkability.

[[[[[ Yeah but no but what happens when you stagger out?
P.R.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Research has been done on this 'fascinating' topic, comparing the power output during the pedal stroke of pro riders and amateurs. The findings were that power is achieved by pressing on during the downstroke, and that the difference between pros and amateurs was that the pros press on harder.
Ankling and scraping and pulling up are all interesting, but if ya wanna go faster, press on harder.

Simon E replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Ankling and scraping and pulling up are all interesting, but if ya wanna go faster, press on harder.

That's what I've read. A timely tweet from Cyclefit:

Quote:

Professional riders produce more with 1 leg than most of us do with 2! And they DON'T PULL UP!

https://twitter.com/CyclefitUK/status/571039875400667136

DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I remember reading an article about the late and very gifted time trial rider, Jason MacIntyre. He had developed a mind/muscle technique where he mentally turned off his leg muscles for the upstroke, as he believed that the brains timing of the smaller hamstrings wasn't necessarily perfectly timed with the opposite legs more powerful quads in the pushing phase, and that the attempt to pull up could offer resistance to the downstroke leg, thus actually being less efficient.

This was particularly in regard to time trialling, but it became something that I took onboard, and although not great at it, I do believe for certain circumstances it does work for me.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had to change to look from SPD for my power meter. Not noticeably any different but look's seem easier to clip in (for me) but I was happy with SPD's but was looking at speedplay.

However I find that the 3 bolt are significantly better and more comfortable than the SL's for road riding for sure.

DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

The physical benefits of SPD-SL over SPD's are the wider platform of the cleat and pedal means there is more lateral stability for your foot on the pedal.

The single sided nature of the SL also reduces the profile of the pedal allowing you to pedal marginally deeper into a corner.

A proper road shoe has a stiff sole all the way to the tip of the toe giving a more stable base, whereas in most MTB shoes the carbon or nylon stops just ahead of the cleat to allow the sole to bend slightly at that point, to aid walking as often required in MTBing.

Road shoes are generally lighter as they don't have tread and reinforcements, so a slight reduction in rotating mass.

As with all the bike industry claims, none of the above will make the huge difference they would like you to believe, but I do prefer the more stable, lower profile of a proper road shoe/pedal setup.

There is also the advantage that walking in them is not a good option, so added impetus to get up hills and learn to trackstand!

MKultra replied to DaSy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Most XC race shoes tend to be just like the road shoe but with tread and and toe studs.

This idea that MTB shoes are somehow always inferior or significantly more heavy is a myth. Comparing a trail or touring shoe with high end road shoe is not comparing like for like.

runskiprun | 9 years ago
0 likes

I moved to SPD pedals after losing my left leg. As my right leg now does the majority of the power supply, being clipped in means I can use my right leg on the lift as well as keeping my left foot in place and therefore me balanced on my bike.
I used to get the hot spot when using SPD's, but I've moved to SPD SL and the wider contact area gives me better peace of mind.

Ride with what makes you happy I spose

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I disagree with not up pulling. I find if you lift your leg out of the way it lessens the force required to push down, increases natural cadence, speed and lessens fatigue.

If you don't have the weight of the leg on the up stroke, it is easier for the push stroke.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

The supposed benefit of pulling up on the pedal stroke is overrated IMHO. Your muscles should be doing 95% of their work in the downstroke and, to a lesser extent, the bottom of the stroke, where it should feel like 'scraping sh*t off your shoe'.

Pages

Latest Comments