Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cnp sky porridge

Hi all  103 ,this is my first post,I was just after a bit of advice or peoples thoughts,when I get up and are going out on my bike,normally I have a cnp honey and fig porridge for breakfast,how long should I leave it before I go out ?All replies appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

The cnp stuff isn't actually that badly priced compared to what you can buy in the supermarket. But yes, in the grand scheme of things, fustuarium's idea seems more cost effective.

glynr36 replied to Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes
Iamnot Wiggins wrote:

The cnp stuff isn't actually that badly priced compared to what you can buy in the supermarket. But yes, in the grand scheme of things, fustuarium's idea seems more cost effective.

Problem is all those porridge pots are hideously over priced!
1kg of oats is around ÂŁ1.50, it's a no brainer!

Steve7 | 9 years ago
0 likes

thanks all

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

I go out straight afterwards, but then the first hour is easy until I reach the hills.

Loving the marginal grains gag!

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

It depends on what your intentions are for the bike. If you are just going for a steady ride then you can ride pretty much go straight after eating. After all, when cyclists stop and eat at a cafe they don't normally have to wait two hours before venturing out.
However if your intentions are very hard training then leave it at least an hour or preferably two.
When I race I like to leave it 2 to 3 hours really.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Marginal grains....

I'll get my coat....

TheHound replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Marginal grains....

I'll get my coat....

lol quality.

I generally leave it 2hrs +, any less than that and it tends to make me feel pretty sick when I'm out.

But it really is a personal thing.

Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

What's the difference between cnp porridge & just normal shop bought porridge then?

fustuarium replied to Iamnot Wiggins | 9 years ago
0 likes

"What's the difference between CNP Porridge & just normal shop bought porridge then?"

It's composition is porridge, sugar, whey protein, and flavouring.

You could get a bag of protein from BulkPowders or MyProtein, add it to some oats and save a wedge of cash. I think there was a Youtube video of TeamSky Chef doing porridge.

For me as a weightlifter it's two handfuls porridge, one handful ground nuts and seeds, cinnamon, scoop protein, frozen fruits. Add milk to oats night before to make easier to digest. Or use water and LF Yoghurt to make lower fat. It's cheaper and scalable.

the_mth replied to fustuarium | 9 years ago
0 likes
fustuarium wrote:

For me as a weightlifter it's two handfuls porridge, one handful ground nuts and seeds, cinnamon, scoop protein, frozen fruits. Add milk to oats night before to make easier to digest. Or use water and LF Yoghurt to make lower fat. It's cheaper and scalable.

Are you heating that to make porridge or just eating it like a muesli sort of thing?

Do you buy a particular mixture of ground nuts and seeds or do you get individual bags and mix and grind your own?

fustuarium replied to the_mth | 9 years ago
0 likes
the_mth wrote:

Are you heating that to make porridge or just eating it like a muesli sort of thing?

Do you buy a particular mixture of ground nuts and seeds or do you get individual bags and mix and grind your own?

Sorry if this going off topic but...

Heat up oats milk/water and fruit. Mix in the rest. Grind nuts and seeds to get more nutrients ( seeds are meant to go through animals without being broken down and make new trees, so they're tough critters).

You can use same mixture to make a museli. Use jumbo oats, soak in tiny bit water overnight, loosen with yoghurt. Other bits the same.

I use broken mixed nuts, linseeds, pumpkin seeds and then toast enough to last a week. But grind night before / in the day as they dont last long in that state. Holland and Barrett frequently have offers on them.

the_mth replied to fustuarium | 9 years ago
0 likes
fustuarium][quote=the_mth wrote:

Heat up oats milk/water and fruit. Mix in the rest.

Are you worried about the protein powder being affected by the heat?

I would add a handful of oats to my shakes and put it through a blender when I'm hungry. I've added frozen fruit and dates too. Must try some seeds and nuts. I've plenty of nuts from H&B. Eat them as snacks instead of biscuits and sweets when I decide to be super healthy for a week.

Might play around and see if I can get it very thick. Ice cream would do it instead of milk but that would bring in a load of sugar. Something thick you could eat with a spoon. Add the nuts and seeds at the last for a quick blitz for crunchy texture. Eating it rather than drinking is a bit more satisfying.

If the protein powder isn't affected by heat then that's easiest although hot porridge in summer isn't great.

I use Bulk Powders Complete range. I asked them if the protein was affected by heat but they didn't really have an answer.

fustuarium replied to the_mth | 9 years ago
0 likes
the_mth][quote=fustuarium wrote:

Are you worried about the protein powder being affected by the heat?

Nope. For me protein denaturing due to heat is not an issue. They've still got the same amino profile that our bodies process in the required ratios. I think a bigger issue is protein refractory period (not processing protein if eaten within 3 hours of last feed). In my experience, folk would do much better getting the hang of refractory period and using BCAA in between feeds to get round it.

Oh and choc protein, peanut butter, bit of yoghurt whizzed up. Angel Delight type awesomeness in a bowl lol.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ride first, eat after.

Steve7 | 9 years ago
0 likes

cheers

redmeat | 9 years ago
0 likes

An hour, at least.

Latest Comments