Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best all round jacket?

I'm in the market for a new jacket but the choice is bewildering.
I've got a budget of around £80 - £100 and have narrowed it down to a few:
Endura windchill 2
Endura convert
altura transformer (£40 an merlin cycles)

Do any of you guys have experience with either of these jackets?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Gabba which I love, but the zip has got a bit tricksy and it's not as repellent as it used to be, even after reapplying the repellent.

I guess the main question is what do you want it for? A lot here have recommended the Gabba because it is practical in showers, but it is a jersey not a jacket. Jacket have an added weight to them to help in lower temperatures. I have one true jacket which is the Castelli radiation. It is a good jacket, but I would really look to the Rapha Jacket or the Castelli Mortirolo. But I know these are out if the stipulated price range.

However, one thing you can be more sure of is getting something that does its job - doesn't boil in the bag or let you freeze. Cheaper jackets will tend to do that.

I don't mean to be snobbish, but when I go out I usually just have a base layer and a jersey so jackets are not as useful. If it's down to zero a jacket will be the way forward, but I guess that depends on the quality of your bib tights, body fat percentage, body volume etc.

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

another big Gabba fan here, brought mine just before xmas and once you get going it really is great and very wind protective (not used in wet yet).

Stratman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another Gabba fan here, I have the ss one, which I use with arm warmers for high single figures, and which I used in summer to do the Yorkshire stages of the TDF. LS one is fine with a LS baa-baa down to around zero if you're working hard. Outside your budget, but the alpha works with a ss base layer down below zero, but is a bit too warm for high single figures.

I've worn both gabbas in pouring rain, but not for hours. They aren't fully waterproof, but I certainly feel no less damp than when it's not raining, and I've been warm enough.

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sportful Bodyfit Pro Windstopper is another option. Warmer in my experience than the Alpe that I also have, mainly as the back is also wind proof. Good temperature range with 1 or 2 base layers depending on conditions. Like most of the Windstopper options it will keep rain out until the seams leak and the design keeps the seams off the shoulders. I'm very impressed with mine. Won't keep your bum dry though, it's cut a bit shorter at the back but then that's what mudguards are for.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gabbas are good, got two, but they are restricted to a temperature range if you want to be comfy. Below 2 or 3 degrees they don't trap enough air to be warm enough, and above 9 or 10 degrees they get a bit too sweaty. Spring and autumn they work very well with an occasional re-proofing, but proper winter requires thicker or more layers.

RinseCharming | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Gabba. As mentioned above, been wearing it all winter with just a s/s and l/s base underneath.

I keep a lightweight waterproof in my saddlebag but it rarely comes out. If it's raining hard enough to breech the Gabba then the chances are you'll be sheltering or at home.

As nice as fully-waterproof jackets are, even the mega expensive examples are sweaty and heavy compared to the Gabba.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can't beat a Gabba IMO.
Rode in mine a lot this winter, and usually a decent weight base layer, paired with nanoflex warmers kept me warm in days hovering around 0, was gutted when I binned the bike at the start of january and ripped it across the back and shoulder.

I'll be keeping an eye out for someone like ribble to have a 10% off code going and grab another soon.

northernrebel | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a couple of Gore Phantoms that I've had for about 8 years and they are great bits of kit. I've used my bright yellow one with just a merino base layer & thermal bib tights for a 25 minute Peak district commmute all winter & never been cold. Unless it's really siling it down I don't use a waterproof layer as it's still reasonably water repellent. As Lamb Henry says the ability to remove the sleeves makes it really versatile for use on cool spring/autumn days or summer evenings. The only sign of wear, apart from a slight grubbiness, is a small hole in one arm where i bounced off a dry stone wall mountain biking.

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Interesting; I reckon some of the responses here explain how the riders I see wearing layers upon layers, covered by big jackets, don't overheat.
As I said, in this quite chilly winter Gabba + LS base + SS base has been fine once I'm moving. But others obviously would find that too cold.
As for the flappy tail, I'm a slender 6'1", take the medium and the tail sort of welds itself to my bum, no flapping anywhere, just a nice protected hind quarter.
I did look at the Sportful no rain jersey jacket thing, and quite liked the feel of it, but I liked the zip vents and pockets on the Gabba better. That was then, this is now, and there do seem to be a lot more Gabba-esque jerseys about... no iea if Gabba is the best of the bunch still, or whether Cafe du Cycliste, Chapeau, Rapha, Sportful etc have made a better version. I'm still happy with my old Gabba though!

chilievans | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response guys, plenty of sound advice

Btw, I'll ride in any temperature but try to avoid going out when it's lashing down

Lamb Henry replied to chilievans | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a Gore Phantom 2 for commuting and like it for commuting.
Good for Spring and Autumn where the morning are cool and I remove the sleeves for the ride home when it has warmed up a bit.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Definitely not the Gabba in my experience. Sure the pros use it - but on top of the rest of their racing kit - and they're racing in it. So generating a lot more heat.

I got caught out in the rain in September - Gabba & the matching armwarmers. Was shaking so much I had to get shelter in a cafe and rode on from their with a newspaper down my top for extra warmth.

I'd go with something like this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-roubaix-long-sleeve-jersey/?lang=en...

Its more practical than the Rapha Winter Jersey - which is nice and understated - but no good in the rain - and 1/3 of the cost. About the same level of warmth too.

Zermattjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Gabba also has an annoying flappy tail at the back. I tried the Small (I'm 5'7" - Castelli's sizing is guesswork - I need M or L in some of their stuff) and the rear tail flaps about annoyingly - all the photos I've seen show this being pretty snug but for me it wasn't. Maybe I'm just an odd shape!

The Sportful Fiandre Light Wind jersey is, I think, better than the Gabba (and its cheaper too). Its almost the same materials but the back "No Rain" material seems to hold off the rain better. Unfortunately its almost sold out, but if you're ok with the black one there's a few knocking about.

MattT53 | 9 years ago
0 likes

A vote for the Sportful Alpe: I prefer it to my gabba, more breathable and just feels nicer. I think the waterproofing side of the gabba is oversold, useful in drizzle but if there's proper rain forcast I'd always take the Gore-Tex out

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for a Gabba if you're using it for all weathers non commuting long riding. It's not 100% waterproof, but it's waterproof enough that you'll be fine wearing it in most ridable conditions. If it's raining hard enough to get soaked in, you most likely will be hiding under a tree... or under your duvet. I've done in the region of 3000km this winter wearing mine and I think I've only put my waterproof jacket over it once. As has been said, one or two base layers keep you warm enough. I imagine this season's Gabba is even warmer - mine from last year doesn't have the zip wind flap.
Keep a cheap packable jacket in your pocket in case it really hammers down and you're all set.

justinberman | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can pick up the Sportful Alpe softshell for a pretty good price online at the moment, a few places have them in stock, Wiggle, Evans etc... http://road.cc/content/review/99689-sportful-alpe-softshell-jacket - pretty good value if you can pick one up for £70 or less...

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I know dhb isn't everyone's cup of tea but their soft shell is my go to commuting jacket in winter.
At £38 it's a bargain. Warm, water resistant and covers a range of temperatures.
You can't go wrong.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-softshell-jacket/

Jez Ash | 9 years ago
0 likes

the gabba gets a lot of hype. i've got one, I've used it in the drizzle, when it is brilliant for going fast (much less flapping than just about any jacket) and I've used it in the pissing rain, when it is much less good. it is only the right answer if the question is "I need to go fast, I'll be generating a decent amount of heat, and I'd like a reasonable amount of protection from wind and showers".

the fact that something "works for the peleton" is pretty irrelevant to the rest of us unless you're buying it for racing. commuting, sportives, whatever are NOT the same as racing (you'll generally be generating a lot less heat) and you don't necessarily want the same gear.

chilievans says he's after an all round jacket for long rides but really would need to specify whether his overall priority is speed (in which case the Gabba is a strong contender but not the only option) or staying warm and dry, in which case it would be quite a long way down my list.

also - what temperatures do you ride in? do you need something that'll keep you warm when it's sub-zero, or do you mostly ride only in warmer temps?

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Gabba, it's the best bit of cycling clothing I've ever bought.

Took it out at around -2 or so, little bit of snow, bit of rain - my torso was fine with just two base layers (one short, one long) + Gabba. At around 0-6 degrees it's fine with just a single base layer. I've not taken it out in any warmer temperatures than that yet as I only got it about 2 months ago and it's not warmed up yet!

I definitely feel the cold as well, so it shoud suffice for most people. I've not taken it out in a proper rainstorm (fair weather rider here), but I understand that it's not a fully waterproof jacket. I reckon I'd just use my fold-up DHB rain jacket over the top if I had too.

Leodis | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gabba is the correct answer... £97 from bike-discount I got the LS this week

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could also look at castelli gabba jersey/jackets....not 100% waterproof but keeps you warm in anything and seems to work for the peloton  1
They are slightly above you budget tho for a long sleeve, short sleeves are £85 from bike inn atm

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Slightly more than your budget but have a look at this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-shelter-windstopper-jacket/

I bought one just after Christmas and it is superb. I feel the cold but I can wear this for a 3 1/2 hour ride at around 4 degrees with just one base layer and be comfortable, it is a good snug fit and very comfortable to wear. I have not used it in the rain yet so cannot comment on its rain proof qualities. 4 1/2 hours at 5-6 degrees with 2 base layers meant that i was opening the zip a bit to cool down and did get slightly sweaty. Overall i would say it is an excellent jacket.

chilievans | 9 years ago
0 likes

It would mostly be used for long rides mate.

I was fancying the gore phantom 2 also

Nick0 replied to chilievans | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gore Phantom 2 is seriously good. Windproof, breathes and wicks as well as any, will keep the rain at bay for ages and you can turn it into a jersey by unzipping the sleeves. Of the five jackets I own and use if I had to choose only one this would be it.
For colder and/or wet weather the Sportful Fiandre No Rain is the best jacket going; it's made from the same stuff as the Gabba but in a different way. I use it in sub 5 degree temperatures/milder with rain and it is fantastic, with a single thin or mid weight base layer. I have never been wet through when wearing it and it breathes/wicks like a thin jersey. http://road.cc/content/review/72530-sportful-fiandre-norain-jacket (it used to have 4.5 star review don't know why it's been downgraded!)
Finally, I own a few bits of Galibier kit and it is all absolutely top class, the only thing I don't (cos I've got the two above) is this - http://road.cc/content/review/116508-galibier-colombiere-training-jacket
bargain price and gets rave reviews from owners. Only comes in black though...

Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

What's it primarily for? commuting, club rides, or long days in the saddle touring?

I've had a gore xenon jacket for 10 years, and it's been fantasic, but the cut is a bit cyclist so you can't wear it off the bike without looking silly, unlike the howies lightweight jacket, which is pretty good alround and cheap too.

Latest Comments