Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale CAADX - Groupset choice

I'm looking to sort a winter road hack bike (to keep my Bianchi out of the worst of the winter) have changed from a fixie to a cyclocross bike - thoughts of bagging trail KOMs off of 29er equipped mates  21 . I've always liked my Cannondales and the CAADX seems to offer a really light frame and, across the range, it's only really the groupset that changes, so it's got upgrade capability (allowing for the differences in gear numbers)... while I acknowledge the mantra that you should (?) pay for the best groupset that you can afford, from a winter perspective (once you've added in the cack and clothes for a winter ride), why would a Sora equipped bike be significantly compromised compared to the Tiagra or 105 variants? The 2015 Sora looks to be a sound winter workhorse groupset and the weight's not going to be significantly different.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

ChasM | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the 2013 version of this bike with Sora, it all works perfectly well. You're right in thinking it is a superb frame. My only gripe was the rear hub started grinding after less than a year of riding, but the 2015 version with discs may well have a different wheelset.

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

it's a winter bike, go for the cheapest option unless money isn't a issue. Sora works as well as the other two in terms of function if you don't take the extra sprockets in the equation.

Latest Comments