Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Number Plate Privacy - WTF?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11244791/Man-who-lives-a...

Mr Ware who has lived in Rochester for 15 years said he was upset that his van's licence plate had been put on the internet, saying it was a "privacy thing".

He said: "The picture shouldn't be took. She should ask first because the registration number is in the picture.

"I will continue to fly the flags - I don't care who it p----s off. I know there is a lot of ethnic minorities that don't like it. They have been up since the World Cup."

Why do people think their number plates shouldn't be photoed? I've seen youtube videos with similar statements re their number plates privacy.

GL06FMF

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

He is miffed because it is his mates van and the picture was taken when he was working away. Maybe.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyone care to speculate what he thinks about cyclists?

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can get a name and address from a number plate via the dvla hence why a lot of my colleagues have had their plates blocked to stop the great unwashed finding out where they lived.

kie7077 replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

You can get a name and address from a number plate via the dvla hence why a lot of my colleagues have had their plates blocked to stop the great unwashed finding out where they lived.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Government giving out information too easily it seems, somebody should sue them!

It seems to me that the reasons they allow for wanting the details should either require a crime number or should be dealt with by authority and not the public.

exilegareth replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Only if you're an approved organisation, and it'sa criminal offence if you do it for neffy purposes.

All these people whinging about photos being taken of their houses need to read Bernstein vs Skyviews, which is very old and established law.

kie7077 replied to exilegareth | 9 years ago
0 likes
exilegareth wrote:

Only if you're an approved organisation, and it'sa criminal offence if you do it for neffy purposes.....

From govt site:
"Individuals can use the V888 form to apply for information"
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/fil...

exilegareth replied to kie7077 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes you can use a V888, but you have to provide your own ID and a good reason why you want the info.
Registered organizations on the other hand are much less scrutinized, but in both cases, misusing the info is an offence.
The general paranoia that goes with the white van man ' ST Georges Cross tendency is founded in nothing more than personal grievance...

FluffyKittenofT... replied to Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I think I read that was a method used by the IRA to identify cars belonging to members of the security services (via members who worked in places that had the right to access the dvla data).

Now it just seems to get used by shysters trying to exthort questionable parking fines (the business of parking fines levied by private land-owners is the one and only case where I feel sympathy for motorists)

oldstrath | 9 years ago
0 likes

Might he worry that someone could copy his number, fit the plates to a white Transit, then use that for nefarious purposes?

Mind you, all that aside, I'd be a bit hacked off if someone I'd never met took and posted, without permission or warning, a picture of my house.

farrell replied to oldstrath | 9 years ago
0 likes
oldstrath wrote:

Mind you, all that aside, I'd be a bit hacked off if someone I'd never met took and posted, without permission or warning, a picture of my house.

You're going to be fucking furious when you find out about Google Earth....

oldstrath replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes

farrell wrote:
oldstrath wrote:

I was. The best I can say of that bunch of twats is that at least they didn't leave the number plates readable. But as for that cretinous 'do no evil ' shit...

FluffyKittenofT... replied to farrell | 9 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
oldstrath wrote:

But that, and streetview, doesn't single anyone out. Which is why they don't bother me (though admittedly some Daily Mail readers did get very worked up about streetview, as I recall). The issue here was this one house being selected out of all the others as if it were in some way noteworthy. And, though I don't think there's actually any risk of anything bad happening, I can sort of see why the numberplate being visible would make it feel like a more personal singling-out to the resident.

kie7077 replied to oldstrath | 9 years ago
0 likes

copy his number, fit the plates to a white Transit, then use that for nefarious purposes?

They could do that anyway by either walking around looking for vehicles or by looking at online 2nd hand vehicle sale ads - which is far easier and more likely.

Since a vehicle registration doesn't lead to a name or address I don't see how it has any privacy issue.

If the guy doesn't want his home to be snapped then he shouldn't make it so outstandingly unique.

Why shouldn't someone take a picture of your house, how does that harm you?

FluffyKittenofT... | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think it was actually a bit rude (and a bit odd) of the MP to post the picture in the first place. Its just a house, with flags - nothing particularly remarkable about it as far as I can see. I'd be a bit irked if some MP tweeted a picture of my dwelling for no good reason.

I suppose the guy mentions the number plate as the house itself isn't identifiable. I presume its the conjunction of the house and the van that makes the number plate feel like an issue for him.

truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes

He doesn't say he does it to piss people off, he does it despite some people being pissed off.

Mind you, I think he needs to get a better grip of the English language than the English flag.

mrmo replied to truffy | 9 years ago
0 likes
truffy wrote:

He doesn't say he does it to piss people off, he does it despite some people being pissed off.

Mind you, I think he needs to get a better grip of the English language than the English flag.

Maybe I am reading his response wrongly, I just find the statement I am flying it despite it pissing people off a bit like I am not racist but...

If he wants to fly the flag named for a palestian and based on the Genoise standard then he is free to do so. It doesn't need any justification it has been co opted as the flag of England after all.

truffy replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

If he wants to fly the flag named for a palestian and based on the Genoise standard then he is free to do so. It doesn't need any justification it has been co opted as the flag of England after all.

OK, you got the better on me over some arcane historical note. But it's the flag of England, whatever its derivation. Get over it.

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a lovely bloke, If he wants to fly a flag fine, but the I do it to piss people off attitude that seems to be coming across.

Latest Comments