Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

**TV REQUEST** Have you filmed a crash, scrape or near miss? ITV wants your footage

For a brand new primetime show about UK road crashes, near misses, scrapes and escapes, ITV are looking for footage filmed on dash cams and helmet cams by road users across the country.

As well as featuring the clips themselves, we are looking to tell the stories behind some of these clips, and speak to those involved.

Please get in touch if you have a clip you think we could use in the show. We'd also like to know if you might be interested in appearing on camera to talk through your experiences.

Please contact us at caughtoncamera [at] itn.co.uk - we look forward to hearing from you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

Brooess | 9 years ago
0 likes

Instead of spending money making yet another programme about how nasty people get when they're driving, why not just fund a re-release of this road safety ad? I recall it won a marketing planning award for effectiveness back when it was live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUX6LABCEA

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Your headline says it all, you are seeking trash to titillate the lowest common denominator and dressing it up under the guise of it being "informative". I wish I could believe your request is genuine but you know it's not. You know full well the commissioning mantra of the editors is "where's the conflict and tension" and you come here seeking help for that ? Most of us here are just seeking to get from A to B without some neanderthal thinking his "might is right", an idiotic assumption perpetuated by media cretins.
So if you really want to do something constructive, head over to Holland and look what they've done there. Start with the stop the kindemoort campaign and look what they've achieved, how they're healthier, happier and better off because they're not enslaved by the cult of the automobile.
But you won't do this.

sanderville | 9 years ago
0 likes

I suggest the people making this show all start commuting to work by bike with helmet cams, and in a week or so they'll have plenty of footage of near-misses, scrapes, etc., of their own.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if this is the same crew that made 'Road Rage Britain: Caught on Camera - ITV's documentary Road Rage Britain: Caught on Camera shows shocking footage where frustrated road users take on each other. .

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/road-rage/road-rage-britain-caught-camera-23...

Not sensationalist at all  3

Andrewbanshee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps the Road CC members are not your typical audience. I think we are all too aware how programmes are taken out of the originators hands and re-edited for sensationalism to appease the couch potatoes. Even if you truly have good intentions, history of tv, history of how the general public responds to tv that does not inform correctly. People generally won't watch a show that is more than half an hour, and safety on our roads requires more than 30 minutes to change peoples attitudes. There are some really good ideas here such as Teaboy's Trial of two cities idea. I think we would all go for something truly educational and contribute too.
I am wondering, do the contributors get a say in how they are represented, or do they lose the rights?

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just keep your clips to yourself and bring them out only if someone suffered injury or loss.

CycCoSi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Methinks tis not a community where you will well received after the last hatchet job.

Simmo72 | 9 years ago
0 likes

if you want to watch this sort of stuff, go on you tube.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

and use this useful safety advice provided by Derbyshire Constabulary on cyclists.
www.derbyshire.police.uk/Safety-advice/Road-Safety/Cyclists.aspx

Which sadly will probably be read by more cyclists than drivers, but you could refer to this in your documentary?

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 to everyone above.

Why don't ITV put on another series of The Cycle Show instead of this sensationalist crap?

It is probably anathema to them, but why not educate drivers for a change e.g.

from http://think.direct.gov.uk/cycling.html

teaboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

The sort of programme I'd like to see would not involve the type of clip you're after. It would be a programme following a road engineer/infrastructure designers, local councillors (in charge of funding the infrastructure), road haulage managers and bus company managers as they cycle with their children around London in normal clothes and no helmets on the school run, using the roads that everyone else is expected to use, and dealing with the behaviour of people they are responsible for. I'd then like to see the exact same group do exactly the same thing in Assen.

I'd like to see interviews (before and after each trip) with both the adults and the kids, finding out how they felt about what they were about to do and why, and how the activity felt and why.

You will pick up your "near miss" footage during the rides, but the programme would have much more value than half an hour of edited youtube clips ever could, and possibly make the future of cycling in this country massively better for everyone. It could be repeated in a range of UK towns and cities if you wanted a series. Call it "A Trial of Two Cities" or something, maybe.

Quince replied to teaboy | 9 years ago
0 likes
teaboy wrote:

The sort of programme I'd like to see would not involve the type of clip you're after. It would be a programme following a road engineer/infrastructure designers, local councillors (in charge of funding the infrastructure), road haulage managers and bus company managers as they cycle with their children around London in normal clothes and no helmets on the school run, using the roads that everyone else is expected to use, and dealing with the behaviour of people they are responsible for. I'd then like to see the exact same group do exactly the same thing in Assen.

I'd like to see interviews (before and after each trip) with both the adults and the kids, finding out how they felt about what they were about to do and why, and how the activity felt and why.

You will pick up your "near miss" footage during the rides, but the programme would have much more value than half an hour of edited youtube clips ever could, and possibly make the future of cycling in this country massively better for everyone. It could be repeated in a range of UK towns and cities if you wanted a series. Call it "A Trial of Two Cities" or something, maybe.

Precisely.

Most people are already aware that much of the country's travel network ranges from mildly dysfunctional to downright lethal, and the current slew of 'Road Wars' programs have done nothing but paint the issue in primary colours and encourage people to take sides. They sell transport as blood-sport, and do nothing to improve our roads and the lives of people who use them (i.e. just about everybody).

Rather than solely fixating on how our awful roads are, a truly worthwhile piece of programming would have the scope to consider solutions; to look beyond our Isles to places where the transport system is built upon different principles (e.g. Assen, Copenhagen), and to compare life between those places.

Throw in a few shaky British helmet-cam videos if you like, but a 30-minute montage will tell people nothing they don't already know, and only serve to incense those who've already committed to an agenda.

Although that might be the point. Everyone knows that 'sex sells', but I'm pretty sure that fear and anger sell even better, and can generally be snuck in before the watershed.

If you're genuinely interested in making an inspiring programme on the role on cycling in British towns and cities, then I'd love to watch it, but past experience - and this call for more adrenaline-fuelled footage - doesn't fill me with hope.

ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi all, we want this to be a thoughtful and insightful film that goes beyond the standard clip show format and doesn't take a them/us approach, widening divisions on the road - that's exactly why we're reaching out to people like you. Please tell us what you want to see, and get in touch.

brooksby replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

Hi all, we want this to be a thoughtful and insightful film that goes beyond the standard clip show format and doesn't take a them/us approach, widening divisions on the road - that's exactly why we're reaching out to people like you. Please tell us what you want to see, and get in touch.

I'm really sorry, but I think you're going to have a a bit of an uphill battle to convince people that this isn't going to be just another programme doing exactly what you say you're not going to do...

crazy-legs replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

If you really want to use "near miss" footage then do it as follows:
Show the near miss
Then show what should have been done - how the driver could have done a safe overtake, how the cyclist could/should have positioned themselves in the road, why the cycle lane was inadequate etc.

Do that in conjunction with articles like this:
http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyclists-why-do-they-ride-in-the-midd...
Then debunk the "road tax" myth: http://ipayroadtax.com/

Otherwise bitter experience from this sort of thing over the years will continue to result in mass scepticism and the idea (rightly or wrongly) that you'll find half a dozen militant road users - Mr Angry White Van Man, Death Wish Cyclist and all the other usual stereotypes - and use it against everyone for cheap sensationalist TV.

qwerky replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

Maybe talk to the wives/husbands/parent of people killed. I imagine that showing a half hour show of someone inconsolable with grief would be pretty moving. Maybe film some kids who keep asking when Mummy/Daddy is coming home because they aren't old enough to understand the concept of death. Maybe show a family who had to sell the family home and move into a council flat because the main earner is permanently disabled and can't work anymore.

This might make viewers reconsider their attitudes behind the wheel.

Edit: On a side note, please can you show the Giro on ITV4 this year?

notfastenough replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

As you can see, folk can be quite passionate about road safety round here!

The thing is, if a sensationalist show (which granted, may not be your aim) shows a stupid white van man, then if as a result, everyone stereotypes white van men, it doesn't really put those white van men (safe ones or otherwise) at any greater risk - people just think they're all idiots, whether justifiable or not. On the other hand, when these shows display a reckless cyclist, those same viewers that cast stereotypes think it's ok to drive aggressively around the rest of us, because "they're all idiots anyway", and this directly affects our safety, hence people getting worked up.

How about using clips to highlight how so many road users think that a second off their journey time is worth risking the safety of another road user?

How about highlighting the gap between what cyclists are told (for example, taking the lane), and the instruction/impression that drivers are given (cyclists should keep to the left).

I should add that the title, reflected in your user name and email address, does suggest a "you've been framed on wheels"-level programme.

thereverent replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

You may have that intention to start with, but it could easily get changed before the program is aired. I think 'The War on Britains Roads' was pitched differently to the people taking part, then changed in the editing. Thats why so few people here trust you.

Maybe a better idea would be to take some people who normally drive in central London (Taxi drivers, delivery drivers, Bus drivers etc) and get them to cycle for two days at rush hour. Then see how their attitude changes.

sanderville replied to thereverent | 9 years ago
0 likes
thereverent wrote:

Maybe a better idea would be to take some people who normally drive in central London (Taxi drivers, delivery drivers, Bus drivers etc)...

Excellent idea, but add some cops and any MP who holds a sinecure at the DoT.

But to give a straightforward answer to the original post, I used to commute through central London with front and rear cams on my bike and at one point I was going to post a Youtube video called "Skittles!" purely of clips of pedestrians stepping into the road right in front of me. It could have lasted an hour. But then I realised that when you commute on a bike through London all these scrapes, near misses, and groundless victimisation are just gravy. Why bother posting clips of it anywhere? Every other cyclist has the same experience every day, twice a day.

bigshape | 9 years ago
0 likes

do we get £250 if our clip gets used?  21

Northernbike | 9 years ago
0 likes

Alan Partridge lined up to present I presume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-q0437X5uA

Mart | 9 years ago
0 likes

If it was done in a very educational way I would be all for it.
Past shows on TV have been detrimental to calming the "them and us" attitudes of some people, fanning the flames for more dangerous confrontations on our roads. It can be hard to get people to see us as human and sensationalizing it on TV is not the answer, everyone on the roads need to be calmer and more considerate.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheap reality TV to produce lowest common denominator programmes for mindless consumption which will add to the problems of road safety rather than highlight and address them?

This is essentially 'You've been Framed' for the take away pizza generation.

Ethical journalism can inform, educate and illuminate; have a word...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

If anyone has sense around these parts, they will avoid this kind of thing. Never give you footage to a TV company because they can then twist it whatever way to suit their program and it can then be used it other shows....

thereverent | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having herad about the experience of other people who have allowed clips to be used and been interviewed on such programs (the BBCs War on Britains Roads for example), I would stay well away.

ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry you think that, but we are keen to produce something more thoughtful than the kind of shows you mention - that's the very reason we're reaching out to you.

zanf replied to ITVCaughtOnCamera | 9 years ago
0 likes
ITVCaughtOnCamera wrote:

Sorry you think that, but we are keen to produce something more thoughtful than the kind of shows you mention - that's the very reason we're reaching out to you.

I know several people who declined invitations to appear on "The War On Britain's Roads" because they were fed the same spiel about how they wanted to make a show that wasn't divisive or played into the partisan mentality of us vs. them between cyclists and vehicle drivers.

The sad fact is that you (collectively) cannot be trusted. You lie to get what you want then twist it up with sensationalism to get the maximum number of viewers to sell the advertising. I say that as someone with insider experience.

Also, the last time that ITV made anything of quality, Eric Morecombe was still alive.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nicely put bikeboy76
Seen these kind of requests before and they are rarely interested in showing anyone in a good light but producing cheap TV at the expense of the contributors.

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

The roads are bad enough without sensationalizing everyday as a 'Road War' and looking for odd personalities who film every ride seeking out conflict. There have already been several programs like this and they have not helped cycling safety. If you were really interested in us you should do half an hour on why utilities companies done repair the pot holes they cause. Or is that too boring? We aren't interested in your 8:30pm weekday filler slot that passes as current affairs. Journalism not reportage please.

Latest Comments