Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Bike/ Retul fit newbie question

Hi,

Hoping for a bit of help...

I bought my first road bike in April of this year. This in the one, http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-x3-2014-road-bik...

I have steadily been increasing my rides since I bought it and cycle about 13 miles 2-3 times per week I noticed a niggle shortly in to starting above my right knee. I raised the seat a couple times which improved it but did not get rid of it completely. In the past week I decided to try and get it sorted once and for all. I booked a physio appointment and booked in a for a retul bike fit.

My question is on the back of the bike fit. My seat has been moved forward and a few other adjustments made. I am needing to get a 140mm stem for the bike and the person doing the fit said I could actually do with a 150mm stem! The bike I have has a sloped top tube seemingly bikes with out this would be slightly longer so I would not need as long a stem.

I am 6 foot, and have 31/32 inside leg...fairly average. I guess what I'm asking is, does this seem right? I'm surprised the bike is basically slightly to small for me

It's a 56cm frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

edd23 | 9 years ago
0 likes

The measurements just look 'odd' to my untrained eye!

150mm stem will definitely have an adverse impact on handling.

Velocity 44 in Stirling might be worth a try? Specialized dealer and good bike fitting facilities...

cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks

I could drive through to Glasgow so it's a definite possibility

Does anyone have any experience with either of these guys?

http://www.visualbikefit.com/services/

http://www.hardie-bikes.com/info/personalised_bike_fitting.php

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, I think he's wrong*. He's justifying the long stem on the basis of your long torso / short legs, yet he's also recommending 175mm cranks. There's a reason that 56cm bikes nearly always fit 172.5mm cranks as standard, and you don't sound to be of sufficiently odd proportions to preclude that. The reach sounds way too long.

I am curious to see you on a bike- if he's right you must have arms like a chimpanzee!

*I have no qualifications and haven't even seen you on a bike, so I shouldn't be trusted either!

People on here rave about Billy Bilsland Cycles - that might be Glasgow though?

My fitter is based at the Manchester velodrome - perhaps see if the Commonwealth Games venue has something similar?

cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am based in Edinburgh, any recommendations for a good fitter would be great. Don' mind a little travel

It certainly feels wrong as the fitter told me to look out for a 150mm stem!

I've crudely copied the measurements given to me by the fitter in a pdf.

COMPONENTS
STEM SPACER STACK CRANK LENGTH PEDALS SADDLE BARS SHOES
-6 ° x 140 mm 5 mm 175 mm Shimano,SPD-SL Speciailzed,Body Geometry Speciailzed,Secteur Shimano,RO64
Notes:
Saddle Height: 772 mm
BB to center of saddle profile
Handlebar Reach: 566 mm
tip of saddle horiz to bar top
Handlebar Drop: -106 mm
cen of saddle profile to bar top grip, — denotes bar
below saddle
Saddle Setback: -50 mm
BB horiz to front tip of saddle grip, — denotes saddle
behind BB
Grip Reach: 699 mm
tip of saddle horiz to front end of grip
Grip Drop: -59 mm
cen of saddle to front end of grip, — denotes grip lower
Saddle Angle: -4 °
angle of saddle to horizon grip, — denotes nose down
Bar Reach: 34 mm
center of bar to back end of grip
Eff. Seat Tube Angle: 76 °
BB to center of saddle profile
Grip Width: 415 mm
grip center to center
Grip Angle: 35 °
angle to horizon + denotes front end up
BB to Grip Reach: 648 mm
BB to front end of grip
Frame Stack: 585 mm
Frame Reach: 385 mm
BB to center of headtube top
Handlebar Stack: 627 mm
Handlebar Reach: 516 mm
BB to center of bar

Graham Simmons | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is a very common problem we see as a bike fitter who often has people come to us as a second opinion - lots of fitters will try and set up a rider in an aggressive, aerodynamically efficient position without taking into account the flexibility and core strength of the rider. This can lead to some fairly serious injuries down the road which is of course no good.

Generally I would only recommend a fitter who offers a money-back guarantee.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

So if the 2014 Secteur in a 56cm has a reach of 387mm and stack of 590mm, that would be an effective reach of 537mm (or thereabouts).

My 56cm Trek Madone in H2 fit also has a reach of 387mm. I have a 120mm stem, which is right for me. I'm a touch shorter than 6" last time I checked (more than 5"11" though), with trouser size of 31-32 leg. So we are similar size, and I have been fitted to my bike, and can confirm it's right for me.

If the fitter is correct in terms of your required dimensions, then I'd say you need a sportier frame in a bigger size. That way, the frame would be longer (thus allowing you to reduce the stem length), and the lower stack height would be compensated for by the increase in frame size.

On second thoughts, this doesn't add up; if you subtract a reasonable stem length from 537mm (let's say a 110mm stem), you're left trying to find a frame with a reach of 427mm. Trek's H1 geometry (longer and racier than their H2 average-joe sizing) only gives 407mm even in a 62cm model! I'm not having it, that on a frame intended for guys who are in the region of 6"4", you'd still need a 130mm stem!

Definitely think a 2nd opinion is in order. Whereabouts are you, people may be able to suggest somewhere trusted?

bigmel | 9 years ago
0 likes

The problem with any stem over 130mm is that the steering becomes funny. It basically indicates that bike frame is too long in length for you.
Moving the saddle forward indicates you have short thighs - so I suspect a long body proportion.
The main thing is that now you have your contact points/dimensions from the bike fit, you can find a more suitable frame.

My custom fitted bike is built around a 120mm stem - allowing for me to change 10mm each way depending on final fiddling around.

cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, my seat was moved forward. I was advised I actually needed a 150mm stem but 140mm was all we could find.

I'll definitely take a look at the link and book, thanks.

I'm now thinking of going to get a second opinion elsewhere.

Graham Simmons replied to cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think that's a good idea. I'd offer you a discount but we're on the south coast! I would expect to see a stem length of more like 100mm given your inside leg/height ratio.

intheshed | 9 years ago
0 likes

A bike with a straight top tube won't be automatically longer and the shape of a bike can be misleading. To compare lengths of frames, you need to look at frame reach. To compare heights of frames you need to look at frame stack. Fortunately most manufacturers are now quoting these figures, making comparisons easier.

For example, a 2014 56cm Secteur has a quoted reach of 387mm whereas a 2014 56cm Allez is 395mm. So even though it has a similar top tube shape, the Allez is inherently 8mm longer. Additionally, the Secteur is taller by design - the stack of a 56cm is 590mm versus the 574mm of the Allez. Essentially the Allez is longer and lower than the Secteur in any given frame size.

A 140mm stem sounds very long by modern standards, and a pretty drastic solution to getting you fitted to the bike, especially as your seat has also been moved forward?

If you've the time and inclination, Phil Burt's 'Bike Fit' book is a helpful read and there is also good guidance at www.bikedynamics.co.uk.

cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments so far

I was back at the fitters yesterday and got the 140 stem fitted. I seemingly need it due to the size of my torso in comparison to my legs. I guess my torso needs a 58 but legs need a 56.

To be honest I don't know much about the fitters experience other than he is pretty busy with fits.

Graham Simmons | 9 years ago
0 likes

As somebody who works with a fitter myself, I'd be extremely suspicious of somebody who has suggested you go to such a long stem. Did you ask about the guy's experience? You can become a Retul fitter by doing a 3-day course that cannot be failed.

Riding a stem like that on a frame that (by the numbers) appears to be well sized for you could easily lead to asymmetries developing, and further down the road possible ITB and ligament damage.

Cardboard Box | 9 years ago
0 likes

As therevokid said, it's all to do with body proportions and given the inside leg dims you've given I'd say your torso is longer than average and your legs shorter than average hence the need for a longer stem to stretch you out a little. It doesn't necessarily follow that you need to go up a frame size as the 56cm may be more suited to your inside leg measurement and we haven't even discussed arm lengths yet!  3

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

a lot depends on your body proportions. i ride a sloping 54cm with 55.6cm top tube
which has a 90mm stem. i also have a flat top tube 54cm frame that has a 53m top tube
and a 100mm stem. at 5'9" with 32" inseam this gives me the same fit on both bikes.

cpn81 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks...I think a 56cm frame bike with a straight top tube would be slightly longer and the 140mm stem would them sort it. I just found it strange requiring that length of stem.

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would think a bike fit should be pretty accurate. I was happy with mine though I went through Adrian Timmis at cadence Sport.

A 56 secteur has a top tube length of 565mm whereas the 58 is 582mm which would help with the stem length.
I am about 6'2" and ride a Tarmac 58cm which has a seat tube length of 55cm and top tube of 582mm my inside leg is about 34" and I have a 130 stem.
Depends on your proportions but judging by your leg length maybe a 58 would have suited better, but dont take my word for it.
150 seems quite extreme to me for stem length

Latest Comments