Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Windstopper Base Layers for Autumn/Winter Riding

Hi all,

I'm a new cyclist preparing for some colder weather riding and am wondering what people's opinions on Windstopper or windproof base layers are?

Are they a useful item to have for late autumn/early winter riding without a softshell jacket? Or is a traditional three layer setup better? I don't have a proper cold weather cycling jacket yet so if I can put off that investment for a while longer I would be happy.

I'm pretty much just a recreational cyclist, 100km Sunday rides. Felt a chill on my last ride (approx 10º) so am looking for something warmer but not too warm for the autumn weather.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

massspike | 9 years ago
0 likes

I like my Santini Windproof Base Layer top. I'll wear it under various windproof jackets (microfiber, softshell, Windstopper) depending on how cold it is going to be. This covers a -10C to +10C temperature range.

The Santini design employs different materials so the additional wind blocking is centered on your core which takes away the additional wind chill I can feel without it. This is particularly so when you start to perspire.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Aerofit BTwin. With a vest, this and a normal cycling jersey it was spot on today, possibly a bit too warm.

I find if you have windproof sleeves (say a with a softshell), then unless its really cold it it all gets a bit sweaty.

A really versatile bit of kit, cos you can wear it even when its quite warm without it being too hot.

I've also got a Gore Windstopper cycle jersey that is similarly good (but much more expensive) when used with arm warmers.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wear a full sleeve Nike wick layer, an old full cotton shirt, then my windproof altura jacket. Full length leg and winter cycling boots. I am cozy down to -2 deg C. My hands, I tended to use wind proof gloves but found I sweated too much, I now use woollen type and they breath a little whilst warm.

BBB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Endura F260 Pro long sleeve jersey.
Not strictly a base layer but it's very thin with front windproof panels (chest and arms) and breathable rear.
It works for me from 5 to 14 deg either on its own or with base layers.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/fs260-pro-jetstream-iii-jerse...

Goyt | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dutch25 for the feedback, that's one of the base layers I'm interested in.

Do you find you can use it with just a jersey in autumn weather, say around 10º and below or do you still need an outer layer on top?

Dutch25 replied to Goyt | 9 years ago
0 likes

I use it all winter. Went out last weekend and was about 5 degrees at 7.30am. Rode with a jersey and thin gilet on. Also a pair of arm warmers on until it warmed up a bit. Although a bit chilly setting off as soon as I was riding I was plenty warm enough. Have worn it on rides where temps don't get above 2-3 with a regular jersey and thin windproof jacket over the top. Suppose it depends on how much you feel the cold.

Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a B'twin Aerofit baselayer from decathlon. Has a windproof chest panel and is well ventilated on the rest of it so not clammy at all. Works brilliantly on cold winter mornings. Only £35 as well so significantly cheaper than a lot of other baselayers.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Totally recommend the Giordana FR-C. Windproof breathable front, waterproof shoulders and fronts of arms, warm fleecy back. Best cycling garment I've ever had. Just needs a light base layer under it, or even on its own if its warm. Shrugs off the odd heavy shower, never gets clammy. The poor man's Gabba.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shouldn't the windproofing be on the outside? I'd have thought it would get clammy next to the skin.

Have a look at these http://road.cc/show/review-section/gilets/9764

Latest Comments