Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Suggest a Canyon bike?

I had a major accident lately and fractured my shoulder bone. Doc says will take a very long time to heal properly. So I sold my bike...

Anyway, I intend to try a Canyon when I can get back to cycling. Can't decide on these 3:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3615

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3613

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3685

My friends told me to get the Ultegra, use it for a bit then sell the grouppo and get something nice like Campy RS or heck, get some Zipp on it.

My last 3 bikes are all Ultegra. 6700, 6700 and 6800. I kinda looking forward to try Dura Ace and if I get the DA spec, I won't be changing my grouppo for a very long time. The problem is if I want that bike, it is going to be a couple more months to wait...

By the time I can buy the DA bike, I believe I can afford that Campy Record. Should I go Italian or Japanese if I go this route?

Or should I just stick to Ultegra?

All 3 are just different groupset and matter of buying it sooner or later due to budget constraint...

Thanks  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Ashley wills | 9 years ago
0 likes

How about this Grand canyon al slx 7.9 or the Specialized crave? This is what my suggestions are.

CasperCCC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ordered the SLX 8.0. More than my budget, but I couldn't resist going for the better frame.

I'd love to tell you how much I like it, but I can't, because they keep on dicking around with delivery dates. Have now put it back three times, each time by a fortnight. Communication is terrible as well - you'd think they'd at least notify me, but I've had to chase them up each time. If they do it again, I'm going to cancel the order. Has really soured the experience for me.

andymatthews replied to CasperCCC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd love to tell you how much I like it, but I can't, because they keep on dicking around with delivery dates. Have now put it back three times, each time by a fortnight. Communication is terrible as well - you'd think they'd at least notify me, but I've had to chase them up each time. If they do it again, I'm going to cancel the order. Has really soured the experience for me.

Same here. Delayed three times and no contact each time. No reason give, just the factory must be busy. Going to wait to get this bike but never order from them again. Appalling service.

Guidance seems to be from the people I've spoken to > Only order something from them if it's shown as in stock.

Paulhino | 9 years ago
0 likes

DA.

I regret going with the ultegra even though I could afford the dura ace.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go with Campag, holds its value far better second hand than Ultegra, so if you want to go to DA or SR you'll get good money back for it.

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're committed to mechanical, I don't think there's much in it, just personal preference.

I bought a Canyon with Ultegra Di2 and accepted the 100g weight penalty over Dura Ace, there's no functional difference. That said, the Speedmax CF doesn't come with Campag and I am already well entrenched in Shimano.

If you fancy electronic gears, I think it has to be Shimano.

Parkrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

2 said DA
2 said Record

Anyway, yes, it will still be slightly cheaper to get that bike fitted with the groupset right off the factory. Cos buying a new groupset requires selling off the old one, installation cost, bartape will probably be changed and will be additional cost. Not to mention the downtime of taking the bike to a mech to arrange it to be taken off and setting the new groupset. So yeah, direct to DA or Record will be better...

So among these 3 groupset, it is worth the extra to go for DA/Record?

The performance of Ultegra (and durability) cant match the other two?

Lastly, the Campy is just Record... I feel like stuck between the best (RS) and value (Chorus)... While DA is the top of the line from Japan...

giobox | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think upgrading the groupo at a later date makes much sense when looking at Canyon - even in the best case scenario this will most likely work out more espensive than getting the groupset you want first time around, given Canyon's aggressive pricing.*

If it was me, I'd wait it out and get the one I want.

* I haven't done the math, happy to be shown otherwise, but give the aftermarket cost of Dura-Ace, especially of Record, I can't see it adding up.

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra, best value by a mile of these options and money left over for another wheelset. But then you've had 3x ultegra already...

sparrowlegs | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep, record all day.

I'd love the Movistar team bike. Can't afford the SLX, or the SL so it looks like it might be the Endurace Al.

Canyon are my favourite at the moment and have been for a while.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra - tried campag, won't be going back in hurry.

glynr36 replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Ultegra - tried campag, won't be going back in hurry.

Can't use your thumbs?  4

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get the Record one.
Just cause it's Campag, so its better & nicer.

Latest Comments