Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Defy Advanced 1 2015 or Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 help?

Hi, I'm looking at these two bikes, but can decide which to go for, fairly new to road cycling, bought a inexpensive Felt and now hooked. The Giant is Ultegra with disc brakes and the Cannondale is 105 both the same price, can someone give any advice which would be the better buy? Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

bollandinho | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a carbon Ultegra Synapse though it's last year's rim brake version, which it seems is broadly the same frame. It's a fantastic bike, and I love riding it.

I had a go on last year's Defy, and it was nice, but the Synapse felt like it had more 'go', and it felt like the one for me.

Hope that helps.

rnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hello,
Having just the same dilemma myself - with the added left field choice of a Van Nic which I'm hoping to ride in a few weeks.

I've just spent the afternoon on the 2015 Cannondale (loaned to me by my LBS Cyclesense) & was very impressed with the whole package. Seemed to accelerate nicely on the flat, was stiff enough up the hills (but notably more flex than my current aluminium frame) and particularly nice on descents. Ride position was a little more "upright" than I'm used to. The Shimano 105 worked fine - I'd pick out the brakes and front mech as being the strong points. It looked nice in black & white.

Re the Giant, I've yet to ride one but I'm not an early adopter of new technology & am unsure over disc brakes on road bikes - I think a couple more years of rim / spoke /axle development will see some step changes.

I'd just speak with your local shop, get a couple of rides and choose the one you enjoy most.

ex_terra | 9 years ago
0 likes

There's a review of a 2015 Cannondale Synapse in cycling plus this month - the frame is the same aside from having disc brakes and it got 5/5 - the same frame won "bike of the year" in the same magazine last year. I'd go for the 'dale but ride both and see which one you prefer..

Chalky71 replied to ex_terra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply, read the review going for Dale, not convinced with cable disc brakes and I just think the Synapse looks classier!

Latest Comments