Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cleaning helmet straps

Sitting in the office, staring at spreadsheets, eyes subconciously drawn to my helmet sitting on the desk and the filthy state of the straps.

This is probably a topic for just after riding through the winter months rather than just as the rain becomes plentiful, but now that I've noticed how dirty it looks I think an urgent cleaning is necessary.

Any advise on how to get the grime out without causing any damage?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Parkrider | 9 years ago
0 likes

I wash my Giro Aeon straps after every ride. Just use body shampoo or soap suds. Else the smell gonna be too, err... smelly.

Hensteeth | 9 years ago
0 likes

I put my helmet in the kitchen sink with some washing up liquid and let it soak for a while. The helmet floats of course. Give the straps a scrub and then hang the helmet on the line to dry off. Mainly because the straps absolutely get stinking of stale sweat and put me off my ride, especially on hills where you can really smell them! Oh and put the pads in too to wash them out. I do this every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much riding I am doing.

Rich_O | 9 years ago
0 likes

I picked up a great tip a while ago to get rid of both the smell (well mostly the smell) and the grime accummulating in my helmet (cue the schoolboy jokes) Milton sterilising tablets work brilliantly; drop a couple into a bucket of water, dunk the helmet in and soak overnight and they look and smell as good as new.

zedbedboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I actually unthread mine sometimes and puut them in the washing machine.

thesaladdays replied to zedbedboy | 9 years ago
0 likes
zedbedboy wrote:

I actually unthread mine sometimes and puut them in the washing machine.

That was my initial thought, but it seems that the straps are somehow permanently attached on one side.

thesaladdays | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good recommendations, thanks all, looking forward to being more presentable on the road tomorrow!  16

DeeJayJay | 9 years ago
0 likes

I find that baby wipes will pretty much clean anything you apply them to with a bit of elbow grease.

Super Domestique replied to DeeJayJay | 9 years ago
0 likes
DeeJayJay wrote:

I find that baby wipes will pretty much clean anything you apply them to with a bit of elbow grease.

+1

I had a pair of white grips on an MTB a few years ago and often got asked how they remained clean and that was my reply.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Take it into the shower and use shampoo.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Washing-up liquid or handwash and hand warm water. Should do it.

I guess, wash it the same way up you wear it to avoid getting gunk in the dome.

Latest Comments