Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bye bye 2014... rate your season!

I'm quite happy with my 2014 fantasy cycling season. 57th overall, 83rd in the non-premium-races overall - with two pretty good showings in Grand Tours (less so in the Vuelta though).

I still need to do a bit better in the one-day races but on the whole I'm reasonably chuffed. An improvement on last year, anyway.

How did YOU get on?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

brockhurst5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did better than last year, mainly by having some sort of strategy for stage races. The one day classics are a bit of a lottery. Still pretty average.
I aimed for an average of 100 points per stage and more or less achieved that, but to be in with a chance of winning you need to be nearer 150 consistently.  36

stevemarks | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ended last season with a bang, winning the purist Tour of Beijing.

Despite consistent performances over the year, leading to 14th overall and 12th overall purist, I have never really challenged for the podium in any of the races, as I have in past years. I think this is because I have been playing too safe and I must try to be more aggressive next year.

My best results were 10th overall in California and 9th purist in Trentin. My biggest disappointment was missing the last 3 days of TDF through lack of internet when I was going reasonably well, and I had similar problems in all of the grand tours. My highlight was being in the top 5 overall of both competitions early in the season, but it was all downhill from there. Looking forward to next year, and trying some different tactics.

Thanks to Dave and everyone who helps run the competition, you enhance my enjoyment of Pro cycling and maybe even my life, although that sounds a bit sad as I sit here and read it back to myself.  31

livestrongnick | 9 years ago
0 likes

70th overall (41st)

5th in South West (3rd)

17th in Forum's Scorum's

110th in Purist (158th)

Not a great year for me down in all my leagues on last year  2

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Still chasing that elusive maiden stage win.......thought 255pts on the road from Pau to Hautacam in LeTour was going to do it but 4pts shy in joint ninth......pretty sure that's the closest I've come.

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

101st overall

16th in London

22nd in Forum's Scorum's

53rd Purist

makes sense that i done better in purist as I never really seemed to adjust to the new 10pt penalty transfer rule....down from previous 20pts.

Saint Mikie 41 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Love the game and seem to be getting a bit better at it! Best result a 31st overall in Purist in the USA Pro Cycling.

Keep up the good work guys , there a lot of us that don't post that often but love the game and find the website a great resource  41

martyntr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thoroughly enjoyable year of Fantasy Cycling. Loved the format this year. Found the addition of the WWC really good as it meant learning about a whole new group of riders. Before this year I knew hardly any female riders.

Looking forward to the 2015 season already !

Thanks Dave & Team  1

Just waiting for my mini pump from the ToB now  3

JohnnyRemo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Been playing Road CC Fantasy Cycling pretty much from it was launched, and I continue to be thoroughly average at the game - but love it, love it, love it!

Thanks to the guys who do all the hard work, and yes, even I threw a tantrum at one point, (Sorry Enrique) but just goes to show how much this silly wee game gets under your skin. Let's keep it fun!

paddyirish | 9 years ago
0 likes

Started for fun, my first full season and started really poorly, really clueless up to the Giro. I missed a purist team in SCL and ACL because I thought that I hadn't picked the squad before the first race... Also missed WWC Purist as well.

As I got to grips with the game, I climbed through the ranks in the 2nd half of the season to get on the front page finally.

A couple of stage top 10s and a few 200+ scores in the Grand Tours were my highlights.

Next year want to be top 50 overall and get 120 badges (94 this year) and maybe win a stage, or get top 10 in a tour. Also need to improve big time with my Purist team, which has been really poor.

Love the game and would hardly change anything. Maybe more women's races e.g. TOB, Giro and La Course, and maybe negative points for a positive drugs test  13

cgipryan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm obviously delighted to have finished 1st overall. It was my goal for the year. I finished in the top 10 two years ago, and then last year I couldn't go for the overall since I thought it was unfair that only premium players could save their transfers for more than one day. My form of protest was to stick with the non-premium players last year. After all, I come from (and live in) Romania, so siding with the less privileged comes natural...
Anyway, this year was the best time to go for the overall: pregnant wife at the beginning and a newborn in the latter part of the season meant that I really cut short on work-related trips. Which, in short, means that I had more time than usual to watch cycling...

Regrets of the year:
1. I never got to catch the Radio Bank team in the overall for the non-premium races, so I finished second there. I've been trying to take the lead in that standing too since March, I think, but Radio Bank actually kept inching away! Chapeau, guinunes!
2. Wouter Poels signed with Sky. I love the guy since his brave and foolish 2011 Vuelta, and he would have top 10ed in the Giro this year, had he not been close to hypothermia on the Stelvio stage and lost 44 minutes. And now he goes to Sky for a possible (!) chance to lead the team in the Tour of Poland?!  102
3. Finally, by far my greatest regret is that I never got to see Polish Dave's photo with his two new bikes  105 . Next year, maybe...

Gmancervelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Set myself a target of being in the top 10 and to improve my purist position, which I managed despite an absolutely disastrous tour of Beijing.

I also just wanted to win something. Last year I only won things there wasn't prizes for  2

This year, I have a shiny new bike  36 (or will have, hint hint Dave  3 )

Thoroughly enjoyed playing the game as always and it was nice to see a lot more people taking part.

Big thanks to Dave and the Guys for running it and I'll definitely be back again next year.

Ghedebrav | 9 years ago
0 likes

I echo the compliments to the people who make the game. It's consistently great fun and my favourite of all the fantasy sport games out there. Keep it up, guys (and remember: if it ain't broke...)!

But I also agree that the forums have been less fun this year, descending into navel-gazing arguments a bit too quickly (and no doubt putting off new members). If we can collectively raise the tone of debate and chill out a wee bit it would improve an already ace experience.

hubertoi | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't much care for unlimited transfers between 1 day races. Doesn't feel like purist teams.

164th in my first season is pretty disappointing, never came near the top in any race. But it's fun, so better next year I hope.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to the team who put this together and keep it running, a truly great game.

My first season ended in 31st place which I'm quite pleased with. A stage win in the Giro won me a pair of glasses before I put everything on red and it came up black (-4 on stage 17). Well it was for a bike!

6th in Tirreno, 13th in Suisse and 16th in California were good results too.

Next year I want top 10, ambitious I know, but if I can just work out how to get a man in the break which has happened so infrequently this year it's incredible...

Having also had a moan earlier in the year, and one at enrique I am also going to avoid any petty squabbling next year.

Can't. Bloody. Wait.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its been a difficult season, i've started some races really well and was up with the leaders before mnaking some rash transfers has knocked me down the leaderboards.
I did win the Dauphine in the forum scorums league which is probably the only highlight.
The good thing is though its just a game and i'll be back next year.

The only downside from the whole season is the silly squabbling over very minor matters, to which i hold my hands up as being included. Lets hope 2015 has none of that rubbish.

Congratulations to all the winners throughout the year  41

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shameful. A few highlights but generally real life often got in the way. I also lost my touch for picking out the 3.0 riders who would actually score points, and the disorganised nature of the Giro/Tour meant slimmer pickings in the sprint and mountain stages.

There's always next year...

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

The aim was 42nd or higher, came 15th in standard, 10th in purist. Plus I won London. Though I'm not sure how well I did from a purely purist perspective when some good Sagan results in the Spring Classics got me 12th overall for that competition, despite all the transfers I was allowed to make.

I did well in the week-long stage races but my performance in the grand tours was appalling. I was 1300th mid-way through the TdF which I managed to claw back in the final week to a respectable 250th, but I lost so much ground in the first weeks of all the tours I could never truly compete for the overall.

I had good forum scorum results on a stage by stage basis, but on too many occasions I was first overall after stage 2/3 then self-destructed to give away the win by the end.

Coming from a stagiare at the end of last year (started at Vuelta) I had a great first full season. Looking forward to next year. The aim has to be top 10 overall and to win one competition.

See you in January.

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yea had a great season! Wasn't quite as intense as last year, tried a different tactic this year, which I've grown to like.
Had quite a few stage top 10 finishes, (would still like that as a badge) and managed to win a stage in the Tour De France as well! So finally got a nice set of shades to show for all the hard work!
Looking forward to the start of next season! Will soon roll around!
But guess I should try to enjoy the off season and put in some extra training!

Cheers to Dave and all the other guys that put in hours of hard graft, updating the scores and populating start lists etc! And a big thanks goes out to the rest of the players and forumers who make this game one of the most enjoyable I've had the fortune to play!
Have a happy xmas and see you all in Australia!!!  16

Latest Comments