Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lead mudguards!

That time again, away goes the 53, out comes the compact. Fit it with the mud guards and all of a sudden the legs are like stone, the lungs are like a 60-a-day-60 year old, a 4% feels like a 14%, and I'm cooking better than Mary Berry!

Anyone else suffer??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I fitted whyte full guards last week, with a little modifications. They are nice and silent whilst riding. I went out today but found it hard going after a few weeks off from a chest infection and the mid teen mph winds. Average speed was up there but felt like sh! T at the end of the 30 mile ride. I've got a junior club run with my lad tomorrow so can have an easier ride.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Crud RR2, need fettling and ingenuity but once you get them right they do the job and add only a few grams.

Yes, put gaffer tape around the frame so the clamps grip better. They'll squeak and whiffle when you go over sand or leaves but a puddle sorts that out quick.

Mine are on their third winter and have only needed the occasional nudge or cheap part after cycle park knocks and bumps (I ride the winter bike to work).

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sign me up. 17 mile (each way) commute on my winter bike. Puffing like a steam engine and sweating like an old dog. Slowest time ever!

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

Me, I'm just slow all the time! I just put Crud 2's onto my new carbon bike and they seem to fit ok. Also, they are nice and shiny black, just like the bike. (For the minute!)

Super Domestique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Were the SKS raceblades the short ones?

If so, how did you get the front one not to rub? I even popped back to the shop I bought them from and the mechanic gave up too! Sadly I couldn't get a refund as I thrown away the packaging!

zedbedboy | 9 years ago
0 likes

For two winters I've used SKS raceblades and crudracer and they do a job - kind of.

Finally committed to a new bike this autumn (Whyte Susses) and fitted full guards. It'll be my winter and commute bike and they won't come off - ever!

Already convinced this was one of my best bike decisions.

The good bike will now only be used when it's warm and dry.

CasperCCC | 9 years ago
0 likes

I fitted full mudguards to my steel bike a few weeks ago. The look kind of works - steel, Brooks saddle and bar tape. Old school.

I set a new PB on Strava when I took it out on the hour-long loop that I ride all the time. I put it down to aero advantages. They must smooth the airflow over the wheels.

I'm no scientist, but that has to be the answer.

Because if it's not the answer, and the truth is it's just because my legs were feeling good that day, then it might actually be true that "it's not about the bike". And I'm not having that at all. Because if it's not about the bike, I don't need a new bike.

So it's the aero thing. Definitely.

Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can't beat proper fixed mudgaurds I have a set of giant mudgaurds on my defy. I think if you only ride alone and don't mind a wet arse and shins then ride with or with out its your choice. However if you ride with a club or with anyone else you really need guards.

I've tried crud gaurds, sks long and sks race, they are all frankly shit compared to fixed mudgaurds, faire enough if you don't have a bike with eyelets then these type of gaurd are a compromise, after years of making do I bought a defy frame and fitted the fixed gaurds which are simply great because you can forget they are there. Ok it makes the bike look old school but and not very pro, though I suspect that pro riders use gaurds for wet weather training as they would be more concerned with function over style.

bike_food replied to Beefy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

I've tried crud gaurds, sks long and sks race, they are all frankly shit compared to fixed mudgaurds...

So true, didn't realise how shit cruds were until I made the switch. After a few weeks I noticed I hadn't had to p*ss about with guards since switching which had become a regular occurrence, always snapping, getting jammed, rattling/knocking etc. Full length guards = 1 less thing to worry about/maintain.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fitted Crud Roadracers last week. First big hill I rode nearly killed me - not because of the guards (which are great) but because I was overdressed and coming down with a cold. All that peak September fitness feels like it was years ago!

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've fitted a pair of sks guards to my crosser using the secure clips on front and back. This means you can just undo 3 bolts and pop the guards on and off in a couple of minutes, leaving the clips attached to the frame. Dead easy.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having finally picked up some SKS raceblades for the CX today, I'm worried about stories of them slipping. Any tips to stop it? I was going to wrap the tubes in electrical tape to stop paint damage.

BL7 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy? Need I say any more?? I used to know someone who shared similar views as this, I'm sure his name was Richard Head, but could be wrong with this??

The SKS do slip, I found the same, but eventually found a setting that suits, and taped them up to stop further slipping and thus rubbing.

Not sure if many of you lot ride on your own, but the group I ride with, if you've not got the decency and manners to fit mud guards, you are invited to ride at the back!!

Welsh boy replied to BL7 | 9 years ago
0 likes
BL7 wrote:

Welsh boy? Need I say any more?? I used to know someone who shared similar views as this, I'm sure his name was Richard Head, but could be wrong with this??

?

3wheelsgood replied to Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:
BL7 wrote:

?

...Looks like you've been outed, Welsh boy...

Welsh boy replied to 3wheelsgood | 9 years ago
0 likes
3wheelsgood wrote:
Welsh boy wrote:
BL7 wrote:

?

...Looks like you've been outed, Welsh boy...

?? At a total loss as to what this is all about unless the implication is that i have multiple user accounts (which i dont).

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

In response to the OP, if you adjust your mudguards so they don't rub then your bike won't feel so hard to ride. Also get some LED lights, that bottle dynamo isn't helping.  26

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Sorry, I obviously meant to say 'ride faster and overtake then'...

Are you sure that's what you meant?
Are you wearing HI-Viz undies?
Do you own a pair of reflective cycle clips?

Do you, and I apologise for the uncouth remark to follow, ride a folding bike?

teaboy replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure that's what you meant?
Are you wearing HI-Viz undies?
Do you own a pair of reflective cycle clips?

Do you, and I apologise for the uncouth remark to follow, ride a folding bike?

Hi Viz undies?! I dream of such things!  105

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

If you're riding close enough to get spray you're too close, especially in bad weather.

Spoken like a true commuter nerd...

teaboy replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:
Quote:

If you're riding close enough to get spray you're too close, especially in bad weather.

Spoken like a true commuter nerd...

Personally I don't sit on wheels of people I don't know who may well have questionable bike-handling skills, wet weather or not.

Sheen wheels | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you're riding with no-one else around, feel free to ride without mudguards - it's your ass. But if you're going to commute in London, or anywhere else, please fit the guards - fed up with getting other people's spray in the face.

teaboy replied to Sheen wheels | 9 years ago
0 likes
Sheen wheels wrote:

If you're riding with no-one else around, feel free to ride without mudguards - it's your ass. But if you're going to commute in London, or anywhere else, please fit the guards - fed up with getting other people's spray in the face.

0 likes

Not sure why my edited post from earlier today is now appearing newer than my reply to the reply!

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

i'm currently rebuilding the Tripster ATR as my winter über-bike. got 28mm tubeless tyres, tortec guards and rack, and i'm testing the new Rival22 hydraulic groupset. all-in, with pedals, it's 10kg on the nose. so not too shabby

harman_mogul replied to dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds right on-trend Dave.

0 likes

I did buy some sks short ones a while back but kept getting horrendous rub on the front tyre. Every time I got it sorted I'd hit s bump and it'd start again.

Took them off and they sit in the parts bin somewhere.

Maybe I'll try again one day but can't bring myself to that yet.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can't understand the reluctance to use mudguards... Well I can, it took me years before I caved in, but once I did, there really is no looking back.

For a start it just opens the window of what is acceptable weather to be riding a bike in reasonable comfort.

Not being sprayed means that its easier for your clothes to maintain a reasonable core temperature. It also means that you do not get the dreaded chamois rash from the edge of your chamois. Also, your cables, headset, brakes do not get contaminated with salty, grit filled water, so your bike performs better as well. Oh, one final thing, your rear light is unlikely to be contaminated by water and fail on your when you most need it!

The downsides are a little extra weight (minimal) and a reduction in aero performance (approximately 0.5-1 mph)... oh, and you do look a lot less euro.

Honestly, get mudguards, you'll never look back.

0 likes

On the subject of winter bikes, I'm going to use my Allez over winter mainly.

Last year it sat mainly on the turbo but I find that boring plus, at times, painful due to issues I've had with my hip/groin.

I've just ordered some new brake blocks and have a set of 25c tyres hanging up and calling to me to fit. (Not sure if they are any good - Bontrager Select - but they were a fiver each so rude not to buy them! They have no direction / drive logos for a tyre with grooves though which is odd!)

Thanks to upgrades my father has made I also have access to practically an unused 2300 drivetrain too. So ALU bike with cheap and replaceable drivetrain. Job done.

Can't quite bring myself to fit mudguards though!

Simmo72 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I decided a while back that as our winters are so long it seemed pointless not enjoy this time on a good bike. rain doesn't hurt a bike. so ti frame (great for winter), run a second hand drive, a pair of dedicated winter wheels, again a second hand cassette, clean it regularly and ditch the chain come spring. Sure, the salt can be a problem on the components, but again clean after each ride, takes 2 minutes to do a basic job, and if its really bad weather i'll be on the rollers, or doing something else as I'm not taking another black ice induced painfest again......and no mudguards, I just hate them.

Pages

Latest Comments