Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Tyre Direction

Friday silly question time:

Mavic WTS tyres have a sort of 'V' profile on the outer edges, and I have them mounted so that when rotating the front of the 'V' (if it were complete) connects with the gound first.

Now I assume tyres with a profile like that are uni-directional, and I have never given it much thought, however, in the article for the new Aeroad they use mavics, but the photo shows the tyre facing the other way.

/content/news/128126-first-ride-canyon-aeroad-cf-slx

Who's right, or doesn't it matter?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Guernsey Donkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mavic seem to have recently changed.

I have a set of 2013 R-SYS SLR's and they came with the old version of Griplink/Powerlink 23mm and the tread on those were both the same way. (tyres came fitted and rear can only go on the bike one way and the front is marked on the wheel due to the directional braking surface).

The 2015 version has the front wheel reversed.

leveller | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just had some of these and there is now a rotation arrow on the sidewall. It does seem like the tread is arrowing towards the rider and just doesn't seem right but apparently it is correct.

Mike Cotty | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Andy,

Just to clarify for the new Mavic Yksion Pro Powerlink (rear) and Griplink (front) tyres.

The rear tyre direction is intuitive and should be mounted as if the tread was forming an arrow to show the way to go.

The front tyre however is slightly less intuitive and should be mounted so that the tread shows a "V" (instead of an arrow) while you're on the bike looking at it. This is to give better water evacuation in the curves. Should you ride in dry conditions the mounting direction will be of less influence.

For clarity mounting direction arrows will be added on the tyre sidewalls in the future.

I've attached a diagram to confirm the above.

Hope that helps. Ride safe and enjoy!

Mike Cotty
Mavic Community Manager

monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tread pattern makes no difference to how a road tyre performs - as said, the pressure between rubber and road is so high it simply pushes the water into the cracks in the tarmac.

fukawitribe replied to monty dog | 9 years ago
0 likes
monty dog wrote:

Tread pattern makes no difference to how a road tyre performs - as said, the pressure between rubber and road is so high it simply pushes the water into the cracks in the tarmac.

Tread does make a difference on road tyres, in the wet at least, it's just not a big effect compared with compound, pressure, compliance etc. Here's some interesting points from people that might know a few things

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

dunnoh replied to fukawitribe | 9 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
monty dog wrote:

Tread does make a difference on road tyres, in the wet at least, it's just not a big effect compared with compound, pressure, compliance etc. Here's some interesting points from people that might know a few things

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

That's really interesting. I ride in all weathers and listened recently to people saying that the grip on slicks is OK in the rain. I've had a go and I'm going back to the Paves.

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hang on , you rang Wiggle? Care to share the phone number?

Binky replied to drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drfabulous0 wrote:

Hang on , you rang Wiggle? Care to share the phone number?

You need a ouija board and some chicken bones (not kfc )

drfabulous0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Doesn't matter, water is displaced by the tyre's rounded profile and the road surface, not the V profile. It's not possible to aquaplane on a road bike like a car can so tread is not required. Obviously the tread pattern serves a different purpose on a mountain bike but people seem to have the perception that tread = grip.

Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Continental have a little arrow on the side wall of their tyres indicating the direction of rotation. Having fitted many a Conti i know that the arrow goes on the non drive side of the wheel. It is not a painted arrow, just moulded in to the rubber.

Maybe there is a little indicator on the Mavic's??

230548 replied to Martyn_K | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes i have used conti gatorskins for years and as you say they have an arrow moulded in to show rotation direction, last lot i bought ( from wiggle ) no arrow
rang wiggle they checked all the rest of stock no arrow the guy said he didn't think it mattered, so one year it does, next year it doesn't Duh!

Latest Comments