Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Beallach Mor this weekend

anyone partaking?
http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/?page_id=343
bit of climbing involved  16

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyone found any pictures of the event yet? First sportive after a couple of years off the bike, had a great time, surprised how good my Salsa Vaya felt with a simple change to 25c tyres!

Also, bit late for a rant but I've only just got round to logging in, who were the eejits treating the event like a full on road race?

Riding 5 abreast on a singletrack road and venting their fury at the oncoming motorists who dared beep at them, yelling at the poor guy who veered round a pothole, shouting instructions at other people in the group as if they were somehow obliged to fall in line, etc. etc.

Relax guys, it's a sportive...

KirinChris replied to IanEdward | 9 years ago
0 likes
IanEdward wrote:

Also, bit late for a rant but I've only just got round to logging in, who were the eejits treating the event like a full on road race?

Riding 5 abreast on a singletrack road and venting their fury at the oncoming motorists who dared beep at them, yelling at the poor guy who veered round a pothole, shouting instructions at other people in the group as if they were somehow obliged to fall in line, etc. etc.

Relax guys, it's a sportive...

I was up in that area a couple of weeks ago and rode over Bealach Na Ba and around Applecross - I can imagine it would be a nightmare on those single-track roads with very little passing space. Hope you enjoyed it - we had some lovely weather and it is a glorious part of the world.

But if you've been off the bike for a while and plan on doing more sportives then get used to it.

Even 10 years ago when I did audax people would say: Audax is for people who think they aren't racing, but really are, while Sportives are for people who think they're racing, but really aren't.

I hardly do them any more - if I want something competitive I go in races. Otherwise I just do rides with friends, club or by myself.

The only event I take part in is the annual ride run by my UK club. Technically a sportive but it doesn't seem to attract the same crowd, maybe because it's not organised by an events company or promoter.

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Good luck - looks like a brilliant route. I've driven over the Bealach-Na-Ba a few times and it's a cracking road. Cycling up it will be a challenge and a half!

Is it a closed route? I wouldn't like to meet any caravans on that road.

joc replied to bamilton wackademical | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's not a closed route but the main climb is I think. You have to be up it and over it by a certain time

Latest Comments