Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fixed gear bike

Does anyone know of a good fixed gear bike?
I have an old steel framed racer which I converted into fixed gear a while ago and use it for short cycles such as heading to town/work. However, it is too small for me (I'm 6'4"!) and if I go on longer rides I will start to feel more knee pain as well as other, not the right bike fit pain.
I'm looking for a fixed gear that would be good to take on longer rides (50+ miles) when I'm not on my nice road bike with the cycling group.
As for specs I don't really know, I was originally looking around £200 mark but am going to have to edge that up if I want a lighter frame material such as aluminium, although I don't want to spend to much as it will be locked up outside work. I would also have to have brakes, at least on the front, probably on the rear as well (although I do currently cycle without the rear callipers). The alternative is getting a new everything apart from wheels, brakes and handlebars (which I have) and build it up myself, something I'm not against as long as it doesn't get added to a list of other projects I've been meaning to do (bike projects normally get moved automatically to the top of the list though  4 ).
Anyway, cheers for your thoughts

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Derny | 9 years ago
0 likes

A low-cost aluminium frame is usually quite heavy, only marginally lighter than steel. Steel is the typical material you would expect to find in most new fixed-gear bikes and there's no reason to avoid steel in that type of bike. The aluminium frames will probably be a bit stiffer, which may not matter to you.

If you want a new bike, buying it complete will usually save money over building it from parts. The cheaper solution would be to buy another complete used bike in a proper size and convert it. An old converted road bike will work about as well and will be less of a target for theft.

pants | 9 years ago
0 likes

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3874.html

my friend rides that to work to save his good bike, it seems to ride like an actual bike despite the price.

Latest Comments